Traditional Homemaking Fall/Spring 2009! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-31-2009, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds gorgeous fern. i've been really loving tiny stitches with fine yarn, and complicated lacy and cabley patterns, so it has slowed me right down. also i'm learning a lot. i'd love to see your pattern for fingerless gloves, i have one i love but i want another pair in a soft, sandy oatmeal shade, also very fine. i love them.

we've had a lovely hallowe'en. little one and i went shopping, we got organic pumpkins in the end since we're so late getting them, i thought i'd try cooking them up tomorrow. we got black paper and made a witches hat for the tall one and little cat ears for the small one, carved jack o'lanterns, and put on costumes + make-up. then we ran next door for a party with loads of children, and went out in groups round our lovely neighbourhood, astonishing number of folks here all jack o'lanterned and decorated for hallowe'en. it was nice to go out with other children, nice to have lots of folks coming to the door. these are all terraced houses, so easy to go door to door. hallowe'en has just arrived in full here in the last few years, so we were in luck! there are fireworks outside right now, and my english love says this is the first time he's handed out candy! i did feel i'd sold my soul today when i bought junky candy, not nestle but close enough, child slave labour chocolate with the worst sugar, ew! and then! the sainsbury's is all mechanised, so you check yourself out. it was soul destroying. i won't be shopping there again, and i'm going to have to prepare in advance if i want to give out something ethical! my kids can't eat any of that junk anyway, they know that it is just the experience (they would be in heaven if folks made something homemade for them) and so they happily dump their candy in the bowl and give it out to whoever comes to the door when they get home

very sweet hallowe'en. they are watching a charlie brown hallowe'en before bed. i gave them some lovely organic chocolate when we returned, and we'll see if they can sleep

now i have another birthday to prepare, and i'm betting that i'll be going nuts preparing for the holidays right after that with lots of sewing and knitting! and for getting our floors done. i look forward to slowing down a little...but that may not happen til february!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 AM

I love your bonnet. Do you have a pattern to share for it?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:23 PM

we had a wonderful night out at a friends farm last night for halloween complete with bonfire and hot apple cider and fireworks..but by the time we got home i realized that i was getting very sick and i was feverish all night with a basting headache and pains in my liver & kidneys and a cough that is breaking my lungs in half.. its likely H1N1.. wee.. hope i dont die.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 11-01-2009, 05:48 PM

((fern!)) that's no fun. if you feel it behind your eyes then gelsemium is a great remedy - we have flu sometimes that feels like you just want a dark room. or if you have oscillo.... homeopathic that is good too. there are lots of good cough remedies...i hope you've got someone to care for you and make you some chicken broth! get well quickly now and i hope your kids miss it. these things make us so much stronger

baking our jack o'lanterns now, and had our sunday roast chicken though it wasn't the same without my partner - he went out to the cinema, which is great, but i see i'm feeling really cosy and quiet these days and we both just want to cuddle up and watch movies together in the evenings.

my little one has *not* been interested in any of our favourite classic movies, she just wasn't old enough, but we seem to have turned a corner. tonight we started watching anne of green gables and she's right into it so we are having fun. i've seen a thousand times with my tall girl, and as a child, but i haven't paid so much attention to the sets and all the objects are fascinating!

fern, i meant to say that you inspired me, i took some more time today to just sit down and knit, and my second cabled sock is coming along very well

Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Fern Feel better.

Raking today. We enjoyed watching the leaves fall, and then enjoyed a thick blanket of them on the ground for about 2 days, and today we are raking all of them up and moving to the new garden. I am already sore.

I am also steaming a pot of couscous above a stew of lamb, pumpkin, turnips and chard. Should be ready right around sundown. I am HUNGRY already.

We went through the candy and threw out the worst of it, and then the kids put their booties together and sorted by types. There is way too much candy in this house.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Fern - I hope you feel better soon, and sending you some good vibes to help battle the icks.

This weekend was filled with fun & cooking and little self-examination. Friday had a high point as DH brought the boys into my work for trick r treating as the whole medical college will put on the event to let employees/ staff/ faculty/ residents/ students who have kids get out to trick r treat a bit. It was a blast. The kids were wonderful and energenic and were really in the spirit as Jack (oldest DS) blasted out a loud "TRICK OR TREAT" to every office. I loved the fact I got to have these moments with them.

Saturday was beginning of the month errands (bank, costco, target & grocery store) We got a bit behind, but got the necessary things done (Bank & Costco). Gramma came by to help which was great and fun for the kids, and me too as she gently reminded me of not trying to take on too much and I will be able to do more as the kids get older. Which led to a great time of self-examination of why I try to do too much and get stressed out by it. So I'm dialing it back a bit and finishing the projects I have on my plate and not starting another one until they are finished. Also just setting a goal for area for me to try and accomplish & master (i.e. baking).

Halloween night was so much fun - we took the boys out with some friends who still had nighttime trick r treating and then went back to their house for dinner homemade pizza, cider, & beer with of course a side of candy.

Sunday - DH decided to play a little "hooky" from work and hung out with us. Raking, moving some rocks, & finishing rebricking a pathway in our yard. I got to bake/cook up a small storm and loved it. 2 loaves of banana bread (yummmmm) and an apple/pear/raisin crisp I just have to finish the crisp topping since I ran out of flour. Did a little bit of football food and just sat & watched a football game in the afternoon & snuggled with our boys.

Good times all around! First goal for winter - master the art of baking. I know cooking, but baking is my archnemisis

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 PM

We had a productive w/e at home. All of us spent several hours raking the backyard! We also put away the umbrella,table, chairs,etc....where did the summer go?! Friday was gorgeous! Almost 80 degrees. Nothing like opening all the windows and enjoying the smell of fresh air moving through the house! Took DD to DS' halloween parade and party. DD and I even walked in the parade with all the LO's Much fun.
Made the best chicken in the crockpot ever for dinner on saturday
Sunday woke up and had help from the kids(a little but they played so well on their own it didn't matter)and cleaned the downstairs. Way over due and setting the clocks back felt like I hours of extra time!
I'm looking forward to stock piling the freezer with lots of yummy dishes, just need to find the time...

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 PM

yesterday it poured down, so i tidied up and then sat down to knit and then today it was blindingly sunny, and my little girls jumped on their wheels and we went to the garden center, and finally got some bulbs for the garden (tons of daffodils to develop what was there in the original beds, so the new beds are full now, and tulips for the front garden) and some cyclamen for the window boxes, an evergreen jasmine to cover the trellis, and more trellis so our front wall is completely trellised and should create a good screen. the jasmine should turn red in the winter . the girls helped me plant the tulips + cyclamen, and i swept everything. i've arranged the front garden fairly formally, symmetry of the rose trees + the vines, but in the summer it is just bursting with tomatoes, and this coming summer i hope to put out a lot more food, seeing as the snails don't bother crossing the paving stones and there's a lot more heat. let us hope

also a rhododendron for an empty pot in the back garden. and i was restraining myself i nearly bought blueberries, but i'd like to find organic if possible. the children begged for more berries and apple trees i did get them a fern for their bedroom-to-be, and some kind woman at the shop gave me a cutting of a pothos

after i planted out the million daffodils i decided to put out a dozen cloves of garlic as well, i really hope they'll do well.

much better.

my little girl said, 'i love anne' and made us watch the sequel, so her big sister and i are very happy.

chicken stock is on the hob, and yogurt is finishing in the oven (very, very low)

and i have a new sitter our beloved one moved back to germany. this one is also german, and just happens to live right. next. door. a film short my partner edited is screening this week and it looks like i can go also i will have a regular date with my animation project. or just crucial paperwork

Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 PM

I dropped dh at the airport this am, and then went to look at snow boots. I ended up ordering online (had a coupon for discount, they were already discounted, plus free shipping so they were a real deal), and with some of the saved $$ I bought myself a much-needed new stocking cap. At my rate of knitting (and learning), I might make a cap by next year.

I took a long run/walk in the sunshine this afternoon before heading home for barn chores and more raking. Finished the front yard, and hopefully tomorrow I get half the backyard done.

Dinner is turkey soups. A plain alphabet soup for the kids, and a version with bulgur and squash for me. I am waiting for mine to finish cooking while ds drags me through his homework. Ugh. For some reason, he makes 20 minutes of homework take an hour.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM

elisa, sounds like such autumny fun planting bulbs and things.. i really want to get some of that done here too.. i just really need to get better. realization that i have been sick or fighting something for the last few months i think my body is saying that i really need to rest and replenish.. even though ive been so sick, and resting a lot, i still have to take care of so much. its kind of sad, how mamas can never really take a break. but im feeling better slowly and plan to get laundry put away and wash some too..its bedding day and the sun is shining and im going to hang all of our wool & down quilts to air and get fresh. other than that ill just knit..its productive in a very low energy kind of way and i have much to make anyways..

jooj: the more you knit the better and faster you will get! dont give up!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 PM

i would think that you're going through a major detox, which the flu is very good for doing quickly, it just isn't fun if you've got a lot of detoxing to do. probably you'll be better than before once you're through it! i know you have 3 little ones to care for, but try to take it easy as much as you can. it is hard when you're a sick mama. my kids are so much bigger now, i feel like the next time i need a solid rest i can probably take one - it will happen!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 PM

I did all the bedding today! Took quilts, comforters and blankets to the laundromat, and did sheets at home. Those beds are going to be so nice tonight.

While they were drying, I went out for a run/walk. This is such an important part of my well-being, and I had really let it slide. I feel so much better when I get out for my exercise. I know I'll soon be doing it inside, so I need to take every opportunity I can get for a sunshine run. Did I mention I am also trying Good Mood Tonic from Herb Pharm? It's an herbal blend, mostly St. John's Wort, I think. I don't take the bcps, so I thought I would try it ahead of SAD symptoms. I think I am doing OK.

I scrubbed floors downstairs, and I am half done vacuuming. I used a lot of peppermint oil in an effort to repel mice. I am sure the kids are going to be thrilled to rake more leaves with me when they get home , but at least we're making headway. Things are so much better cared-for than they were last year at this time.

We're out all day on a field trip tomorrow, so I thought I'd try to get ahead a little today. Got to keep moving...
Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 AM

great!

i finished my cable socks

the children woke up and leaped out of bed and were determined to wash all of their dolls and soft animals. i guess we'll have them drying in the sunny kitchen all day.

today we have our first time with a sitter at bedtime, and we'll be bringing home a houseguest after, so i'm hoping to have the place ship-shape. it is pretty good already, i'll just do my weekly clean.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 AM

anyone know of great sewing patterns for girls - my 9 year old would love one as a gift from a relative, i love Oliver + S but they don't go big enough...

Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM

Been reading through this thread in hopes your awesomeness will inspire me to not be such a lump! Seriously, the last week it is all I can do to get out of bed. My birthday is Friday and I think that has something to do with it. Not a fan of birthdays :P

I DID just roast my first chicken and save the bones for stock! I am so excited to make it. I was mildly sick for about 2 weeks and some homemade stock would have been wonderful to have. I'm debating whether to use the meat in different meals throughout the week or to freeze some of it for sandwiches later.

Blech, my house is a mess, I have zero motivation to do anything. Poor family of mine! So glad they put up with me. At least reading about everyone's knitting projects has inspired me to cast on something new tomorrow. I've been knitting baby sweaters for friends but they always make me a little sad (I can't have any more kids) so I think I will make something else for a change, something just for me. Maybe some mittens! I have this awesome chunky soooffftttt white yarn, mmm.

artparent, I am totally, unendingly jealous of you. I lived in London for 6 months in 2005 and miss it with all my heart and soul. Someday I plan to move back, but not for at least 5 years. It's killing me. Seriously. I have never felt more at home than I did when I lived in England.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM

((krisis)) i hope you'll get back here, then! i wish i loved it like you do. i'm very attached to my home in canada and i'd love to be somewhere a bit more rural - but i adore it for now. i've just found out i can start getting raw milk in a couple of weeks and i'm SO happy.

maybe check out the decluttering threads, a lot of them are very inspirational. i'm using the 15 minute thread right now and it is helping me so much! i find that if i can start, that is the crucial part (which is why i'm here - i haven't started!) and it give me energy to see what i can do in only 15 minutes. good luck.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Thanks for the ideas Angelique. I went ahead and made egg salad. I'm afraid if I did a bean and veggie sandwich I'd be taking the plate home with me. I am going to be playing with chickpeas next week though. I have a couple pounds of dried beans so throw any ideas out there for me if you want, thanks!
I like to make chickpea tacos. They really soak up the flavor of the seasonings and have a nice texture.
I also throw chickpeas in soups. I do a "what's in the fridge" veggie soup every week from now through Spring.
I find that if I soak, cook, and freeze the beans that they're ready when I want them and I'm more likely to use them.

Does anyone know: are carving pumpkins worth eating?
We had the best Halloween. I made DS's gnome costume big last year so he could bundle up beneath it. This year everything fit perfectly except for the curly toed shoes! We went to a local farm, walked the cornmaze, danced among the pumpkins, played on the swings and had a picnic lunch before the rain set in.
My sauerkraut is starting to taste like kraut instead of wet cabbage!
I vow, with you as my witnesses, to deep clean and declutter my home this winter. I'm going to go check out those threads.

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post
Made the best chicken in the crockpot ever for dinner on saturday
Columbusmomma, I'd love to hear about your chicken! Could you provide your recipe please? Always need more chicken ideas. . .TIA.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 AM

elisa, i really want to see pictures of your london home!!! pretty please? and of your knitting projects too.

no thoughts on sewing patterns, but im sure there are many beautiful ones out there! ill keep my eyes out. im really looking forward to doing some sewing once this craft sale is over. me sewing! curtains and cushions and quilt covers and such.

krisis: welcome you are very not the only one lacking inspiration in the homefront.. i feel your pain. i go back and forth. right now, since ive been sick & at home since saturday night i have slowly been getting to house stuff i had not been finding time to. im enjoying being home and present, rather than always coming and going like usual. winter is fast approaching and we are spending much more inside time, sao im liking that im getting it tidied up to my liking.. or trying anyways!

AngeliqueW: bake it up in a covered dish with a wee bit of water.. see how it turns out. even bland pumpkin puree usually makes divine pie with the right spicing.

my kraut is tasting too salty i think i used too much. im bummed, but hoping that it might get more sour and less salty? here is hoping..

im feeling better as long as im not doing too much. when i get busy i get coughing and it huuurts. like bones breaking in my throat hurting. i had to frog my second blue wrist warmer down to the ribbing because instead of following my own pattern for the increases i did exactly what it said..which of course was totally different and not anywhere as good as my revisions. good lesson, and not too much harm done. im nearly finished now, just have a few rows of ribbing & a thumb. i knit a hat last night and about half of one i had been working on. kids sized ones. i love how quickly i can spin them out, and with such great results. the new one is in soysilk with browns and pinks and reds and stuff.. sounds weird, but its just sweet. ak. i miss my camera more & more every day.
we had a simple dinner of blackbeans & rice, because im just not up for anything more. my middle girl who hates rice had miso soup with tofu. the babe, rice & beans with miso broth. she is sick now as well, high fever (102.4 underarm last night & this am) but she is eating and up and about so im hoping that's the wost of it past.

i got a bunch of cleaning and tidying and organising done today, as well as a hot bath, and time for knitting & tea. i should stay home more i think.

Quote:

Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 AM

I second the cry for pictures of the London home!

This is my favorite delicious chickpea recipe. Mmmm.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM

aw shucks. i shall try to figure out flickr or something like that...

i wanted to start socks for my tall girl, but starting socks is hard and i just wanted to knit something while i was out at ballet and on the town, so i started some soft, soft alpaca fingerless gloves for...me! really naughty when i have so many things to make for other people. i'm basing it on the greenaway gloves but i'm going to borrow the cable pattern from my socks...i love making up my own but we'll see how they work out!! sounds like you're an inventor too fern?

so i was thinking if i knit my socks on 3.5mm, and they fit me perfectly, if i knit the same pattern with the same weight of yarn on two size smaller needles, i might get socks about the size for my 9 year old? it's okay if they start out loose on her as they are house socks. crazy? go find a proper pattern for a child?

ahh, i'm getting inspired to make sauerkraut again. i loved making it pink but then whenever we ate it it dyed things...so i may try plain old this time..?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 AM

I recommend picasa. Flickr is being a pain in the butt for me lately.

It's 5 in the morning and I can't sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a nutty day. I took some painkillers earlier and I am WIRED. Not really able to do anything per se, but I can't sleep either. It's really irritating, especially considering how crazy tomorrow is going to be.

Whine.

Have I ever told you ladies how I am in love with my delay-start setting on my dishwasher? It's so nice. There, now this post is not completely off topic

Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM

So much for the morning...kids got up 45 min early and now are asking for pancakes. Guess I should indulge them...
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM

I can't wait for the pancake chant this weekend... it also doubles as my alarm clock on the weekends.

This weekend I'm starting to make sweet potato or pumpkin (i'm torn) pancakes again in honor of the fall & very chilly mornings. mmmm pumpkin pancakes

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 PM

elisa, are you serious that you have never used flikr? that's so superfunny to me..not sure why. its very simple,so.. you get to that!
or maybe i should just come to london.
when will you be in vancouver next? i didnt realise that your vancouver home was in north vancouver till recently. that's where i grew up you know? and where my mom lives still.
we are planning our annual Waldorf Christmas fair trip for next friday or something like that (it is actually on the 22nd, but i have much to do in the city while we are there)..granted we are all feeling better enough to travel and not get everyone else sick! im scared that the roads will already be snowy and scary, but so far its looking okay.. its just 3 weeks from now that is worrisome.

and yes, i do invent. im not a great direction follower, though im getting better at it at moments. i have only made up a few patterns myself, but i plan to do much more of that in the future.

on the socks, i think that smaller needles/yarn would do.. but im also not much of a guager and things generally work out for me.

my kids love pancake weekends too..and french toast. which is our weekly staple on days that are not oatmeal mornings.

krisis: i understand on the sleep thing.ak. im up before 7am today.. i guess im truly starting to catch up on my sleep from being sick. i have been dragging myself out of bed at 8 every morning since september. i uused to hop out of bed at 6 and get a ton of stuff done before the littles woke up and i just cant seem to get there anymore. maybe once this cold is fully gone.

Quote:

Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM

ah, well i have used flickr, it is getting my photos in order and up on there

i think i knew that once! yes, i grew up in deep cove. my tall girl was born in lions gate just like i was! my midwife irene was working there as a nurse, the year i was born, we joke that she was there for both of us i miss the cove often

we'll be back mid-december, i'm not sure how long...probably much of january as there is no good reason to be in london in january

i'm helping my tall girl make this today. she's getting pretty good with her stitches, slow and steady. and we reconstructed an old, cute red-with-tiny-white-dots t shirt into a dress for my little one's doll. i just sewed elastic along the edge of the neck and sleeves. she had her own dress like this once, i'll have to take one of her daddy's shirts and make one for her again. he has too many anyway!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
ah, well i have used flickr, it is getting my photos in order and up on there

i think i knew that once! yes, i grew up in deep cove. my tall girl was born in lions gate just like i was! my midwife irene was working there as a nurse, the year i was born, we joke that she was there for both of us i miss the cove often

we'll be back mid-december, i'm not sure how long...probably much of january as there is no good reason to be in london in january

i'm helping my tall girl make this today. she's getting pretty good with her stitches, slow and steady. and we reconstructed an old, cute red-with-tiny-white-dots t shirt into a dress for my little one's doll. i just sewed elastic along the edge of the neck and sleeves. she had her own dress like this once, i'll have to take one of her daddy's shirts and make one for her again. he has too many anyway!

its funny, i have the original magazine that that pattern is from on my desk because its also a halloween issue which we had been looking through, and which lives in our very scant halloween keepsake box. i have never made that particular doll, but its on my list of things to make for the craft faire, i was going to make a handful of simple dolls and see how they go. i would love to see the finished thing!

deep cove is lovely..i miss the ocean so.

Quote:

Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM

that's a good magazine. i'm going to bring my stack of them with me next time i have enough room in my cases. i've made the doll twice before, once at the size they recommend, and once a bit larger. actually i did the bigger one first, i made it to go with my tall girl and her dad, when they went away to (london!) together for the first time without me, and i made the little one for my little one after that. i'll see if i can photograph them. they are looking a bit loved being a few years old now. we've made this sweater for them. and there are big plans for lots of other clothes now that we have some great fabric actually, that dress that i mentioned just, i made a couple of those for them years ago now...very cute. i could do that kind of thing all day long. my tall girl wants to knit a pair of longies for both of her dolls, i wonder if i could shrink a pattern - i know you've made tons of those fern, do you have a favourite that i could divide by 12?

i'm off to make jack o'lantern soup.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM

artparent- I think of you when I do dishes! Your description (a while back in the thread) of spending time with your dishes and all the aspects of washing them really helped me to "be present" while I'm standing at the sink.
The deep cleaning has begun! I'm doing something every day, working my way through each room. It feels so good! Never thought housecleaning would feel empowering.
I love to crochet but have always been suspicious of knitting. Knitting just felt too slow. All of the descriptions of knitting projects are sinking in though... I've been considering picking up knitting needles. That sure would make my mom happy.
Is it too early to ask what's on everyone's menu for Thanksgiving?

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 PM

shucks i'm glad it has inspired you. good work getting started!

User Tag List