Traditional Homemaking Fall/Spring 2009! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 542 Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I worked so hard yesterday cleaning,decluttering, and organizing the basement However, many more hours to go but at least we started!! I took at least 50 things to goodwill too. It was so dusty down there that DH wore a mask to sweep! Kids loved looking at old toys too! Anyone have an idea for this: removing an old refrigerator from the basement. At one point we tried but it appears maybe that the previous owners redid the steps at some point after this refrigerator was put down there. It won't fit up. Now we didn't try removing the doors or anything but at this point it won't go upstairs and we need to remove it!! Wish we could cut it in half or something!!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 542 Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM

I made a mitten! It's a prototype- the thumb is too tight so I'll tweak the pattern. I'm so excited! I'm going to make some fleece socks too for when DS goes out to play in the snow. Thanks for the encouragement artparent.
I made a yummy veggie soup last night for DH's lunches. Dinner was stuffed spaghetti squash that was a very successful experiment. I think I'll do a stirfry with a garlic ginger sauce tonight. We're still eating too much grains. Slowly figuring out how to eat again. Still need to get more staples. I'll probably have to drive an hour to the nearest co-op and stock up monthly. I can do this.
1jooj- I think eliminating foods is harder emotionally than logistically. It took me 2 years to work up the resolve to dump dairy. When I finally decided to go for it, I allowed myself one meal a week of anything I wanted. It usually ended up being an omelette with cheese, tea with milk, and buttered toast. By the third week I realized that my body felt awful after that meal and it wasn't worth it any more. After a while my tastes changed and if I cheat, the eliminated foods are rarely as good as I remember them. There's a silver lining too: eliminating central ingredients forces me to try new foods. You know, I never had an avocado until my late 20s?
columbusmomma- My FIL built a boat in his basement when he was young. When he finished, he realized that it wouldn't fit out! His father dismantled the staircase so they could hoist the boat out. Hopefully your fridge dilemma will be simpler to solve!

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#483 of 542 Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM

#484 of 542 Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM

AK. im so so behind. i have been sewinbg and knitting and not doing much else. i got ,y dishes washed, kitchen floor swept and mopped, some launrdy on and i just made up my no knead bread dough, which now sits for 18 hours. its been too long since i made bread! once i get into the groove its hard to stop, so this is the beginning. im still waiting for my grain grinder, so no local grains bread yet, but maybe by next week!

i have much to do..take son hot lunch, walk to town to chec the mail and get a few things from the market for super (chicen soup from a chicken we ate last night)

my girls birthday went well, we had a lovely chilly snowy day and the cae i made was perfect. the gifts she received were all perfect, no plastic crap..and lots of it hand made by gramas and me.

yesterday i did a little local craft sale at a friends house and made about 100$ and have another one next weekend which will be a lot bigger. im still finnishing up quite a bit but im hopeful that i will do well. both the dolls and the hats (and other things i had) were well recieved. one hat sold as soon as i was in the door and i met a bunch of new wonderful kaslo folk, which was really the best part of the day..

now i go for a walk in the grey dampness that is the end of november here in the mountains and hope that i find a package in the mail. its been more than 3 weeks and im worried its lost!

will write more soon, as i have comments to make on many of your posts..i really miss being right in the mix of this sweet group.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#485 of 542 Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

MamaFern, sounds like you're on track to me!

I've checked off everything on my to-do list except the workout, which I am about to head out for. Bread is baked, mail is posted, errands run, chores done, laundry caught up, lamb in the oven. My hope is that it's done by 5:30 or so. I have green beans and beets from the freezer to round out the meal.

So, off I go!
#486 of 542 Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM

I've been looking over this thread and I guess I'm a traditional homemaker as well!

I make most of my own food due to multiple food allergies. However, I do buy premixed gluten free flour because it's just much easier than mixing multiple flour types for different recipes, I tried it and hated it.

I use to crochet and knit, but my 4 month old keeps me very busy. I love to do crafts and all too!

Today I worked on starting to clean out our hall closet. It still needs a bit more work though. After that I need to clean and organize my sons closet. I just sort of dumped things in there because we don't hang his cloths yet. We just stick them in his dresser.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#487 of 542 Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Hi Gals - missed you all over the last couple of days with the holidays and still battling this flu/cold and overall general yuckiness.

T-day was ok, we traveled to Minnesota to have it at my sister's house. It was a nice meal, but I kept feeling like something was missing, and I ended up being a terrible guest - literally we argued about cranberry sauce (homemade vs. a can). I kept asking how I could help or assist and being told it wasn't necessary and then watching her or my mom stress or freak out. Now as I look back I realize how different my sister & I are in our expectations (even of holidays), our life choices and so forth as even her husband said something to me like - so you're all into that "holistic" approach now huh, and I was like no more simplistic & homemade, I still like some pharma drugs .

In the meantime - we are winterizing our house - plastic up, had to run out & get thermal curtains (which are too long - time to hem 'em). Everything else is running rather smoothly and we're hoping to have a warmer house this winter and start to finish our basement area sooner than later with some flooring and maybe lights. This weekend I'm hoping to try my hand at a bit of bread baking. I tried drop biscuits last weekend and they were not tasty as or fluffy as I expected and heard similar comments from my tasting gallery (DH, DS & DS2). Round #2 this weekend... with hopefully better results

Angelique Congrats on the mitten and finding the time to do it!!
1jooj Happy belated Eid! Is there a huge difference between grocery store eggs & farm fresh ones taste wise? I don't know if I can twist DHs arm to see if we can afford those and have him hunt it down to find 'em here in Milwaukee
MamaFern Holy pantry envy!!! Would you be willing to send me your no knead bread dough recipe? I'm still knee deep in trying to master baking - see biscuit fiasco #1 above. Congrats on a wonderful birthday party for your middle one!
Artparent Have I mentioned how in awe I am of you?? How did you develop the balance between homemaking and still having time for your outlets & projects?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#488 of 542 Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Oh and I almost forgot!

Welcome Blueone!!!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#489 of 542 Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Winterizing a home sounds great, this is my first time living in a cold place. How do you do that? We don't have curtains because they can be expensive, but how much do thermal curtains cost? Any tips for winterizing a house would be great.

Also, my husband bought 2 things of baby powder and I don't use it on my son. What can I do with it? I don't want to waste it.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#490 of 542 Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Welcome Blueone!

We live in a 100+yo house, so our winterizing includes plastic on some of our windows, since we have not replaced all of them. We also add door snakes and make sure the heat is shut off from some rooms. Winterizing the barn involves a lot of hay bales, screwing wood over some open windows, closing certain doors, etc.

We also use heavy curtains and/or blinds to help hold in heat at night.

(And we have throws and blankets everywhere for snuggling on couches.)

I am just not with it today. I spent half the day at school, then on a whim called a friend for lunch, then went for a run...and of course had to shower after...I'm looking forward to tomorrow, though, hoping a dear friend can come over for a morning of knitting!
#491 of 542 Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM

shucks, ktg you're very sweet. i only report when i do things - i don't always even get the dishes done. (like tonight, but i blame the heavy rain + waiting 1.5 HOURS for a taxi to get home! my poor children cried in frustration and i nearly joined in ). this is also very recent, my children needed me intensely for their early years, and i learned to grab whatever time i could. i hire a mother's helper once a week, for a couple of months here and there, which i use for making art (or major paperwork, of which there is plenty what with living internationally )...i get derailed by our chaotic lives though. lastly, i am blessed with two very sweet, gentle, artistic + easy going girls, who like to do all the things i like to do, and since i'm homeschooling them it is a good excuse to get into it all. i greatly admire the women here too, goodness, i'd love to know all about growing + preserving food, having my own small holding...slow + steady

my dear partner just ordered the french glass preserving jars for me, we've been watching river cottage and he would very much like me to start canning here i cannot wait! of course now i feel the pressure i shall have to see what wintry foods i can put up. pickled squash? pears? cranberries?

i'm getting hopeful that my animation is finally coming together.

#492 of 542 Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 PM

oh, the jars are exquisite the bottles i'm in love with. i cannot wait to fill them with food. i shall have to pick blackberries and make syrup in honour of my beloved grandmother.

#493 of 542 Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM

I'm having the saddest of days. After a difficult week, one of my dearest goats gave in to pneumonia this morning. She'd spent the night in the house, so I spent the morning cleaning up and nursing her to her death, and now I am doing all the associated laundry. Then I went for a run as hard as I could manage while crying, and my dear friend came to help me dig a grave. It's dug now, and waiting for the family to come home so we can bury our dear friend.

I will miss her every day for a long time, and I will be fearful for the rest of my animals as the weather gets colder and colder.
#494 of 542 Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM

1jooj- So sorry.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#495 of 542 Old 12-03-2009, 06:40 PM

oh, so sad. i'm sorry.

#496 of 542 Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Wow, I've been away for like 20pages. Been super busy lately.
Our back door leaks air horribly even with adding extra weather stripping. I plan on using a blanket for now to keep the cold air out, but I remembered that my mom had a door snake at one time. Has anyone ever made on - and how would you go about doing it? right now I have a beach towel rolled up at the bottom of the door, but everytime the dog walks by it she somehow bumps it away from the door. I'm thinking I need something a little heavier.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#497 of 542 Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM

aww that is so sad. prayers & positive thoughts.

#498 of 542 Old 12-04-2009, 06:54 PM

our version of winterzing the house:

plastic the windows (our house is 70 years old)
plastic or a heavy blanket over the front door (we close all access to it for the winter)
Thermal curtains up
filling in cracks & gaps with foam or caulk
Cleaning out gutters
unhooking hoses
covering sandboxes & a/c units
Adding strips of rubber or foam around door seals
Running mower until out of gas
stocking up on "heat" for gas tanks
have a bag of sand/salt in garage for easy access
drag out snow shovels

wow I'm tired just looking at that list...phew

#499 of 542 Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 AM

i'm completely distracted with rounding up classes here, field trips, + getting my head around preparing to move most of our belongings into the loft + closets. so, i'm knitting a lot to recuperate from the stress i'm nearly finished a pair of fingerless gloves as a gift, and then i need to think carefully about what else i'd like to make! we leave in 10 days, which is exciting + scary, what i need to do before then!!! the more i think about the things that *should* be done the more i shut down and scrape by with the minimum it is hard for me to begin things, once i do i really roll, but the beginning, ouch!

we make an animated winter story every year, my little one has written + illustrated hers (i scribed it for her) and my tall one is halfway there...we could just do this for the next 3 weeks and it would be enough

oh well!

i have my second quilting workshop this week,

#500 of 542 Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 AM

finished the first pair of fingerless gloves present + begun the next - this time heavier yarn on 4's, knitting up fast

#501 of 542 Old 12-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Looks like winter made it after all.

I am making great progress on the new pair of long arm warmers I'm working on. I really want to finish them without a single mistake, so I am taking my time. I do notice that I enjoy the project much, much more when I love the yarn. I made a point of checking out the yarns at the big craft stores. I will be happy to keep buying at my small local store. Not only are the prices really comparable, but the yarns are just so much nicer.

My next projects will be more small hand warmers and hats for the kids, and I'd like to make a hat for myself, too. I'd love a long, simple sweater, too.

We'll be putting shrink plastic over the windows this week. We didn't make our door snakes, my mom did, and frankly, I wish they were less poly-filled and instead filled with something else...but I don't know what. Beans, rice, etc., would all invite mice, something we struggle with anyway. Maybe wool in the future, if I keep our fleeces, clean them and use them for batting/pillow fill. Hmmm...

I think it may be a chili week here. I'm thinking chicken and black bean. And also a beef and potato stew for dh.

I need to organize my barn pharma now and figure out how and where to store it so it stays in good condition, but doesn't get confused with house meds...maybe a pail or something, and then stash in the bathroom cabinet. I don't have a ton of storage space, and I need to keep little hands away from syringes.

OK, off to do some barn chores before I lose all motivation.
#502 of 542 Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM

ijooj, if you have any junky wool sweaters, those are great. good projects! i really need a hat and now i want a cowl, too but i'm busy making other people things for a couple more weeks. i am SO pleased, this dk weight yarn has knit up so fast, i've already made one cabled fingerless glove today!!

#503 of 542 Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Junky wool sweaters for making new ones, or for making door snakes?
#504 of 542 Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM

door snakes. even superwash wool sweaters which fail for felting, can be used very well to stuff other things. the doll we made was filled with cut-up bits of yarn. if you wash wool with a bit of lanolin, if it gets at all wet it will clean itself, and is antibacterial, anti-dust mit, and doesn't need to be actually washed unless it actually has dirt on it - perfect. i look in thrift shops for this stuff.

#505 of 542 Old 12-07-2009, 04:33 PM

That is a great tip! Thank you.
#506 of 542 Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Thinking of you ladies.
This month is so busy for us. I don't know what we were thinking, but we overextended ourselves big time. Now we just have to power through it. We have classes, meetings, appointments, and volunteer work scheduled for almost every day. DH and I both said Yes to everything that came our way and now we are looking at the calendar like deer in the headlights. Holidays, what holidays? Who has time for holidays?

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#507 of 542 Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 PM

gloves done. nothing like public transit + a good field trip for a chance to knit.

quick! a baby hat!

#508 of 542 Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM

This is how this month has felt so far... yikes! Good news, DH decided to quit his pt job which is nice for the rest of us and allows me to flex my homemade time a bit more on the weekends. I can't remember if I mentioned that or not recently.

Winter is here in full force in WI. Its today, temps getting if we're lucky into the teens/20's maybe. YUCK. This is especially yucky as we only got about 1/2 of our winterizing done.

I didn't get to bake anything this weekend, just made a lot of speghetti sauce, & chili. Cookies & breads were on the list, but they will have to wait till this weekend. I am resisting trying my hand at knitting, but I was cruising the craft store (joann's) and found some yarn & a WALL of needles and began to ponder if I could pull off some adult size arm warmers. Of course I just reminded myself gently - baking is the skill du jour to learn and I must stop avoiding it. I will bake, and it will be great!

Holiday lists have been crafted & sent to relatives, now I just need to jump on DH to have him find us a bigger menorah since Hanukhah starts on Friday.

With that my MDC break at work is over but... does anyone have a great recommendations for a bread recipe?

#509 of 542 Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Get the baby hat done?

I knitted up a quick pair of handwarmers for ds...he's happy with them and now dd is looking for more. I've started another hat, a purple one and I am putting some stripes in it with a deep blue. If there's enough scrap, I'll make little matching handies for her. Meantime, my second gauntlet waits, but whatever.

We dug out from yesterday's winter storm and now it's . I'm recovering from the snow day, cleaning house, exercising and just enjoying not having everyone underfoot. I have a cranberry-lemon loaf in a bundt pan in the oven, and I'm making steak chili for supper. Made cranberry sauce from half the frozen berries, too. Dh eats it as a dessert, and it's so full of vitamin C.

This weekend I'm on again for sunday school snack, and I am thinking I will do a baked mac and cheese. The kids are really picky, so less is more. Most other parents buy pizzas, but I just can't bring myself to throw that much $ just to get back boxes of crust. Maybe some kind of muffin for them, too. Obviously, snack is more of a lunch.

And dh will be on the road again this weekend/early next week, so I'm sort of looking forward to a couple of quiet days. While I obviously depend on him for so much, when he is out on the road, our phone quiets down and fewer people come over, so I have a little bit better grasp on my home. Of course, above all, we hope he will be safe on the roads.
#510 of 542 Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM

ktg, we cross posted! Hang in there with the cold! Congrats on having dh home a little more.

I don't really have good recipes for anything...are you looking at making sandwich loaves, boules, baguettes, rolls? Quickbreads/cakes? For my cranberry bread/cake/thing, I grabbed a recipe off cooks.com, subbed butter instead of oil, lemon instead of oj, added some sour cream and milk, and did half ww flour...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page