Traditional Homemaking Fall/Spring 2009! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am only on page 1 but am subbing now!
With the birth of DS I didn't get done as much as I wanted but did can/freeze a little and managed to plant a garden although it was neglected.
We did get lots of tomato, chard and zucchini. And the other day I went out and dug up some some potatoes when I needed them for soup.

I don't know why but I am always completely amazed at growing potatoes in my own yard!

I sew and make and sell soap and body products & toys. I am trying to do more myself and be more frugal. Love to bake and make bread. We use cloth for many things (but not TP- YET!) and I tried to make my own detergent but it was a flop.

Nice to meet you all, now I'm off to catch up on this thread!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 02:16 PM

welcome mouso! sounds like you have lots of fun.

ah, one success: i have one celeriac growing!! who knows if it is more than greens...i must figure out when to harvest. i hope it is like the big radish - grow celeriac grow big, grow celeriac grow large!!

composted all the tomatoes, tied up some trellis, my sickly honeysuckle appears to be recovering

northerners, any suggestions for pretty outdoor flowers for the autumn + winter? my front garden suddenly looks awfully sad and bare. i am going to be very brave and try planting very-late-kale.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Does anyone have a good jerky recipe for the oven? I don't have a food dehydrator but was thinking of trying something in the oven instead.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 PM

yum, i love it. we use sea salt, stevia, a little bit of cayenne, some tomato paste, and cinnamon, and a bit of coconut oil + lemon juice, and marinate overnight, then lay or hang them over the racks with a tray beneath, and put the oven very low with a fan for a few hours. honestly, i have never gotten them completely done, because once folks figure out what i'm doing, they get eaten as soon as they are just a little bit dry!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks artparent!
When using beef, what type works best?

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 10-08-2009, 05:42 PM

i've been m.i.a. for a bit here as far as posting goes but happy to read all your cool projects and cooking going on. the schedule idea is still going strong but had to be modified a little this week because of writing gigs. little by little the house is looking more like a home because of it. i really hate our walls though and haven't been able to do anything about it terrible, old trailer trash fake wood paneling that was here before we moved in i really want to paint but am worried about fumes, don't have a ton of cash right now, and dh is working double shifts until the leaves are all gone and so are the tourists
enough with the sad smilies for today though, there's lots of great stuff happening too.
i took a job writing minutes for the elementary school board this week (2 nights a month plus typing time) so a little more cash is coming in, dh gets a daddy daughter night, and i get an insider look at the school before it's time to decide if dd will be hs or not.
my sourdough breads are starting to actually be breads worth eating! it took a lot of trial and error but the past couple of weekly loaves have been successful so hopefully i haven't jinxed myself here. lots of lovely breadcrumbs too which will be going into a meatloaf (local beef of course) this evening.
our farmers' market has closed for the season so i will soon have eggs to work with as long as the girls keep laying a few. we're debating the rooster's fate though, he's a *huge* light brahma the size of a small turkey and does a good job watching over everyone and keeping the peace but his "affections" shall we say rip all the feathers off the hen's backs. i don't want my chickens to be cold this winter but don't want to send him to the stockpot either.
dd is just waking up from her nap and i've got more cleaning to do before my dad comes up this weekend so i'm off. good luck to all in your endevors!

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

Old 10-09-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
That's great!

I live out in the country on a little over 8 acres and I still can't have chickens. I can have sheep, goats, cows, llamas, horses, but I can't have pigs or chickens. It's ridiculous
I just read something that might explain why you can't have pigs or chickens. Pigs can be the host for viruses that infect chickens and ducks and also for other viruses that infect humans.

So the theory goes, if a pig becomes infected by both types of viruses - one sort that infects animals and another sort common to humans - the genes of the two strains can get mixed together. And the result can be a totally new strain of flu, one to which humans have no immunity.

This might be old news for everyone else but it was brand new for me.

And it makes me sad because I always dreamed of owning chickens but I live in town.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
I just read something that might explain why you can't have pigs or chickens. Pigs can be the host for viruses that infect chickens and ducks and also for other viruses that infect humans.

So the theory goes, if a pig becomes infected by both types of viruses - one sort that infects animals and another sort common to humans - the genes of the two strains can get mixed together. And the result can be a totally new strain of flu, one to which humans have no immunity.

This might be old news for everyone else but it was brand new for me.

And it makes me sad because I always dreamed of owning chickens but I live in town.
this is what they're saying happened to cause the H1N1 virus that's now circling ... except they think it happened on factory farms? I think?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:55 AM

vermont, we used a very, very low v.o.c. paint and we were impressed how fast the fumes went - pretty much when it dried. you can put open jars of vinegar or baking soda around to absorb odors, and of course throw sweaters on everyone + throw open all the windows + doors. a friend of mine whose child had leukemia is very careful about any toxins in the house, and she did some research and bought milk paint because it was so low in toxins. the other thing you can keep in mind is that the lighter the colour, the healthier the paint, which is good for white-obsessed folks like me i know how much energy you can get from loving your space. maybe you could organise a sleep-over right after you paint? we're dealing with all of this knowing we'll be having a dust + varnish infected home for at least 5+ days. soon. congratulations on writing gigs!

i think i've found the jars i want, they are french glass + rubber ring sealing types, and i think that they will be divine . now to persuade that the £'s are worth it

Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
this is what they're saying happened to cause the H1N1 virus that's now circling ... except they think it happened on factory farms? I think?
That's sort of the H1N1 story, and they are saying factory swine farms in Mexico...and little vermin-type birds may have been involved (sparrows, etc.), pooping on the pig feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmomma View Post
...terrible, old trailer trash fake wood paneling that was here before we moved in...
i took a job writing minutes for the elementary school board this week (2 nights a month plus typing time) so a little more cash is coming in, dh gets a daddy daughter night, and i get an insider look at the school before it's time to decide if dd will be hs or not.
... his "affections" shall we say rip all the feathers off the hen's backs. i don't want my chickens to be cold this winter but don't want to send him to the stockpot either.
We have ridiculous and trashy decor in spots, too. Cheap, ugly fake oak kitchen cupboards, there was paneling in the upstairs that we ripped out (except for one wall we forgot about--oops), and possibly the tackiest border imaginable in our living room, horses on the prairie running circles around you as you sit on the couch. My mom is going to help me get rid of it and paint that room--the last holdout since we moved in.

Congrats on the writing gig. Sounds like a good opportunity for a lot of reasons.

I have a few naked chickens, too, and I feel terrible about it, but dh never kills enough roosters for my taste. I want to get down to 2 roos tops before snow flies. Of course, snow may fly this weekend and dh is in Kuwait, so...hrm.

I have a bunch of cooking to do for a family party tomorrow, and I have been out of the house all day for the past two days. Today is garbage day and catch-up day. So I will be multitasking through house tidying, laundry, cooking and chores while kids are at school. I'm happy to take a day (more or less since our Fridays are short days at school) of quiet work before the weekend. Still have not mulched those trees, either, so I need to get started. It's getting colder and colder out there.

Have a great day, all!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Check me out. I cooked big batches of bbq chicken and sloppy joes for tomorrow's Big Birthday Party. I roasted and pressure-cooked some beef bones with herbs, onions and garlic for broth, and it's cooling on the porch so I can skim the fat (and feed it to the chickens). Pressure-cooked chicken into broth, which is cooling in the fridge for the same reason, but I'll feed that fat to the kitties.

I am half done mulching the trees, and I have the rest of the mulch waiting in the front yard. Laundry is in the dryer.

A baked butternut squash is ready for me to fix into a buttery, sweet treat.

Dishes are caught up.

I got a lot done today, and I will need to hold back and stop at a reasonable time this evening, to allow myself some time to work on personal, me stuff.

We're going up north tomorrow, and my hope is to get good weather for half the day, so we can at least hike around and enjoy the peaking fall colors.

(I'm on coffee break. )

Hope your Fridays have been productive!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 PM

I've been productive!
Last night made homemade pizza sauce, so yummy, simmering for an hour on the stove! Cleaned the downstairs a bit. Today made and froze 2 casseroles for later. Going to have a whole chicken Sunday and will make bone broth and then soup next week
Working on laundry, it has totally piled up!
DH and I will make habernero hot sauce from the peppers from the garden. We are also going to try our hand at homemade oven jerky!
Will hit the farmer's market tomorrow for local beef and whatever else catches my eye!
TGIF!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:29 AM

I finished the mulching in time for the very cold weather!

The squash is divine...I put dill in the chicken soup...the kids went to bed ON THEIR OWN at 8 PM (!!!)...and I wrote almost 3,000 words in my WIP (work in progress) tonight. My goal is another 5,000 this weekend.

I love hot sauce! Our hot peppers did terribly this year. They and the tomatoes had a notsogreat summer. Maybe next year...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 PM

ijooj: wow, you are inspiring!

yesterday i spent the day at my friends farm picking plums & apples (in the SNOW! not usual for her this early..) after putting them into cold storage (apples) and getting the plums ready for the dehydrator we weeded & harvested a bunch of stuff.. and mulched it all with straw. i love having a place to really get into gardening because i moved in july and didnt get to do it at my home this year. the day felt very prodective, if cold..and i came home with all sorts of greens and zucchinis and other yummies..

im now making spiced vanilla pear butter, more elderberry syrup, this time to mix with bubbly stuff for our harvest supper tomorrow.. we went to market got our raw milk and picked up what we needed for the feast *parsnips, carrots, beets, garlic, all locally grown...had to buy some mushrooms, yams and cranberries, not local..

im making pumpkin & apple pies(from scratch) tomorrow, as well as a brown rice & veggie nut loaf type stuffing for to stuff a hubbard squash..friends(the local midwife and her 4 kiddos and partner) are bringing a freshly butchered chicken & some sort of savory pie?! and another family(my farm family)a homegrown turkey, salad, beets & or a cabbage dish (always amazing) and punkin pie as well (her dp wants to make it!) and my SIL and her family are coming with potatoes & other good things.
i love having such a great family & friends.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 AM

you all are very inspiring. fern, how blessed are you! do you make friends quickly, or is it just the nature of your town, or did you already know people?! or is it a small-town canadian thing? i'm envious our harvest meal may be very lonely but at least my children are excited about it. i'm hoping to get into the forest to gather some bits for our nature window beside our table, and i'm planning a spelt + pumpkin pie, mushroom gravy (local) cranberry sauce (from dried, oh no!) and no one here is breaking out the turkey, so just chicken, kale, and squash. and local traditional apple cider why yes i *am* pretending i no longer have candida!

we all went to bed at normal hours and woke in the morning always takes us a week.

i sprayed the mildewy/blackspot roses, honeysuckle + clematis with baking soda. any other suggestions? i *need* them to grow (evergreen, the last two) because things are horribly bare. if i could throw a bunch of $$ at my front garden i would! i am keeping an eye out for aged lumber to build a bench to sit out front, my children love to play out there.

i've been soaking oats in water + yogurt at night and cooking it in the morning with sea salt, stevia, spices, fruit, coconut oil + butter, stir in a couple of eggs and dollop with yogurt. i'm not sure that my unbalanced body loves it, but it seems to keep us all steady and content all morning, which is saying something!

how old are your kids now 1jooj? my are nearly 9 and nearly 4, and they are mostly so self-sufficient in the day i can often get a lot done, it is such a blessing. we have our homelearning 'schedule' in place - park day with the local group, ballet, violin + soccer, so we have 3 days of whatever we like. i'm hoping to start getting us into some kind of family walk, as we have beautiful forests here, but once it starts getting rainy we tend to want to stay in. also going swimming or even getting them lessons..other than that i'd like to be doing some kind of thing with them daily, working on projects. left to their own devices they pretend most of the day and draw/make things + write stories for the rest of the day. we are missing friendships, but i hope there may be some in those classes and there are at the park. we're finding england a little slow for meeting people

i finished another linen dishcloth, and i'm about to start one like this:
row 1 k3 *p1 k5, rep from * to last 4 sts, p1 k3
row 2: p2 *k1 p1 k1 p3 rep from * to last

then you need to pick up all round it and add a border.

i'm looking for a lacy, but fairly simple pattern for a throw. anyone know of a good pattern?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
you all are very inspiring. fern, how blessed are you! do you make friends quickly, or is it just the nature of your town, or did you already know people?! or is it a small-town canadian thing? i'm envious our harvest meal may be very lonely but at least my children are excited about it. i'm hoping to get into the forest to gather some bits for our nature window beside our table, and i'm planning a spelt + pumpkin pie, mushroom gravy (local) cranberry sauce (from dried, oh no!) and no one here is breaking out the turkey, so just chicken, kale, and squash. and local traditional apple cider why yes i *am* pretending i no longer have candida!

we all went to bed at normal hours and woke in the morning always takes us a week.

i sprayed the mildewy/blackspot roses, honeysuckle + clematis with baking soda. any other suggestions? i *need* them to grow (evergreen, the last two) because things are horribly bare. if i could throw a bunch of $$ at my front garden i would! i am keeping an eye out for aged lumber to build a bench to sit out front, my children love to play out there.

i've been soaking oats in water + yogurt at night and cooking it in the morning with sea salt, stevia, spices, fruit, coconut oil + butter, stir in a couple of eggs and dollop with yogurt. i'm not sure that my unbalanced body loves it, but it seems to keep us all steady and content all morning, which is saying something!

how old are your kids now 1jooj? my are nearly 9 and nearly 4, and they are mostly so self-sufficient in the day i can often get a lot done, it is such a blessing. we have our homelearning 'schedule' in place - park day with the local group, ballet, violin + soccer, so we have 3 days of whatever we like. i'm hoping to start getting us into some kind of family walk, as we have beautiful forests here, but once it starts getting rainy we tend to want to stay in. also going swimming or even getting them lessons..other than that i'd like to be doing some kind of thing with them daily, working on projects. left to their own devices they pretend most of the day and draw/make things + write stories for the rest of the day. we are missing friendships, but i hope there may be some in those classes and there are at the park. we're finding england a little slow for meeting people

i finished another linen dishcloth, and i'm about to start one like this:
row 1 k3 *p1 k5, rep from * to last 4 sts, p1 k3
row 2: p2 *k1 p1 k1 p3 rep from * to last

then you need to pick up all round it and add a border.

i'm looking for a lacy, but fairly simple pattern for a throw. anyone know of a good pattern?

i guess its a mixture of all of those.. my SIL lived here before us and so introduced me to a few families, but i do make friends easily and put some heart into it and maybe it has to do with the small townness of kaslo..everyone (or mostly anyways) are pretty friendly, welcoming & kind!
as soon as i moved i started to go to knitting group at this woman's house (she is the local librarian. homeschooling mama of 3 boys) and i have met a few really wonderful woman that way..the farmers market is another great place to meet like minded folk. i usually just introduce myself to people i dont recognise, because after 3 months here i know almost everyone, or it feels that way! in a town this size pretty much everyone knows everyone in short order.. i guess there are good things about that and then some people feel like there inst much privacy. doesn't bother me though! there is also a mother circle once a week with a councelor from community services, and childcare in the family place, so another great way to make friends.. there are so many resources here..its pretty wonderful.

your feast sounds yummy! im extraspecially blessed this year to be surrounded by farmers. if i didnt have so many friends we would probably just be eating nutloaf and squash!

cranberry sauce from dried berries can be really yummy, just give it lots of time to reconsitute! chicken is yummier than turkey imo and kale and squash and the best things ever. i hope that you find some folks to make your supper merrier!

your breakfast oats sound yummy! i have never thought to put eggs in oats.. do you have an actual recipe?

i knit up my first linen dishcloth, i love it too!
im working on another one, but now im distracted by hats to sell at winter fairs..so maybe it will be put aside for a bit.

your life sounds pretty brilliant to me! we will do homeslearning next year for sure. im so over school already and its only october, but with a not quite 2 year old and not quite 4 year old its pretty hard to get much done these days (though i still do get a on done, if i do say so myself!)

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 AM

yes. i don't think you could get more different in london!! i have made friends in the homelearning community but they are spread out all over; i have a friend in the crafting community and she is going to drop off my sewing machine, so exciting, she says it is beautiful and she actually popped out of my favourite shop in the village, to say hello, yesterday, which made me feel like i live here. i'm used to vancouver, where i am bound to run into several people i now every time i go out. i really love that.

i love homelearning, but i can understand needing a break when they are tiny. imo that isn't really homelearning so much as early parenting, it is hard no matter how you wear it!!

i don't have a recipe for the porridge, i make it differently every time!! the eggs give it a smooth texture and a lot more protein.

scratch that last pattern! it won't compute for me! i'm going to do a basic garter rib instead (k2 *p2 k2* repeat on both rows. multiples of 4 + 2) and i want to do a double moss stitch on the next.

i think i might go with this stitch for a throw...

Old 10-11-2009, 11:57 AM

I clearly need to learn to knit. It seems to open such doors. The lady at the knitting store was really nice, very forthcoming, and they seem to support a community. Besides, I love all the cool knit things I see. My mom and I went out and looked at winter hats, and I saw several I want...but $$$! I may go back and get one, as the ones I really like a woolen, made by Nepalese women in a co-op.

artparent, mine are 8 and almost 6. Their needs and the extent to which they wear me out has to do with their and desire to have their hands in everything I do. So this is the sad thing: everything about them that is hard for me is a wonderful quality, yk? Dd wants to cook/bake/clean/write when I do, and ds wants to talk about everything at length. When I do barn chores, they are walking half a step in front of me (and I am tripping on them). They do Sunday school at the mosque for several hours, and they love to play outdoors and in the barn. Together, they read, color, play card games and board games, legos, etc. Dd is ready to read beyond her class, though, and ds could use more attention with math. I want to put dd into a dance class and find a sport for ds. It's just that soccer is so intensely scheduled around here. They want to do 4-H in a couple years. Both kids are writerly, and dd considers herself an artist. She makes my gift wrap and greeting cards. Ds is more science-minded, analytical, etc., so I have to think harder to create projects for him. Dd I can hand a piece of paper and a scissors and off she goes.

We spent a nice day at the cabin, took a walk in the woods and sat around a fire eating j-u-n-k. Kids played kick the can, built a fort of old wood, played in the tree house, etc. It was cold, and was actually below freezing when we left after dark for home. Today, we all slept in and awoke feeling a little sick.

I have dd at my shoulder , and I am looking forward to dropping them for a couple hours so I can have a little quiet before the week starts. This week, I'll be raking leaves, mowing, and probably finishing tearing out the garden. Probably bake a few more pumpkins and make muffins or something, and figure out a good soup to make with the beef stock in the fridge. Split pea, probably. We'll bake bread this afternoon. We're out of milk, so I'll hit the grocery store while they're at Sunday school. I know flu is on its way, so I need to get stuff done while I can.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 PM

sounds pretty similar to mine - now that my little one is nearly 4! except i have two artists. they are very busy.
we got out for a little nature walk round the wood and neighbourhood gathering things for our nature window.
i'm busy with my site there goes everything!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM

I've had a huge pot of bone broth simmering since last night. may make a bunch of chicken noodle soup tonight(or wait until tomorrow). As soon as I get home from work I'm going to make my oven jerky Being the first time I hope it turns out well!!
Got a tiny bit of yardwork done over the weekend, don't want to start thinking about leaf raking yet though!
Will probably play outside the rest of the afternoon. The fall leaves look fantastic!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Well, flu hit this house, so I'm a couple days behind. Ds has it, and I hope dd follows fast with it, if she does get it. I can't confirm influenza, since I don't have a lab, but ds started with a headache, then fever/chills, then a cough and nose thing...then barfed, and now he is still feverish, dizzy and nauseated with cough and faucet nose.

So he's drinking homegrown tea with home-raised honey. I made split pea soup with our beef bone broth and a big pile of bread with flax meal. We could maybe use something more vegetable-full, but I'm at a loss right now. I wish I had frozen berries, but we are so not going to a store anytime soon.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 AM

poor you! add some vegetables to the next round of soup? i always love chicken broth when i'm ill. i need to build our cod liver oil + vitamins into our daily routine again. we're all over the place but my partner leaves on a trip for a bit so it will give me some time to focus. this is our true first week here, because we were sleeping all day last week so we'll see what kind of order + ritual i can establish. i always find that there is a line between feeling energetic about maintaining a state of tidy + clean, and falling beneath it to overwhelmed. if i can keep on top of things, everything is infinitely easier.

today is my day to mind the kitchen. composts out, and food delivery in, choose between reorganising the pantry baskets or detail cleaning or starting sourdough...and i hope to start some yogurt.

how did the jerky go?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 PM

I think I did pretty well with making jerky for the first time It had a delicious teriyaki marinade and I used flank steak. I would've liked to keep it in the oven longer but DH was concerned about running the gas for so long(I stopped after 6.5 hours). We both ate a bunch but will try the recipe out on friends!
I also made a huge batch of chicken noodle soup with my bone broth. Can't wait for lunch today!!
Tonight I'm going to make my fave squash recipe.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM

got back to my cable socks, to finish them now i have the yarn. i love it! actually i find cabling easier to 'read' than the lacy stitches i was doing, yikes that is hard to keep track of!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Yay for broth!

artparent, as weird as it sounds, when I am solo parenting, it helps me establish the routines we need around the home. When dh is home, it's chaos. People pity me when he travels, but they don't understand that there are some positives.

I am home with two kids today...dd is unwell enough to sleep for many hours, even though she doesn't seem sick like ds does...anyway, both kids took enforced afternoon naps as I worked on day 2 of learning to knit. Knitting, so far, is hard. I've learned to cast on and knit, and I half understand purl. My hands feel stupid. But I am determined.

I feel unwell but not exactly sick. Lymph nodes swollen all over but not terribly so, throat a little swollen but not exactly sore, headache, really tired. My sister brought me carrots and celery, and I made another giant pot of chicken soup, this time with wild rice instead of dumplings...and some of the enormous cabbage. It's delicious, in a comforting, plain way.

I made a couple of things with beeswax this morning, too. One is a eucalyptus and rosemary rub (like Vicks). Another is lavender peppermint, and could be used on hands or lips, and the third is orange patchouli. It goes on orange and then lingers patchouli. I know some people hate patchouli, but I like it in winter. I went 1/3 olive, 1/3 almond, 1/3 beeswax, then dropped EOs into the jars (got some baby food jars from a friend) before pouring the oil/wax blend. Added Vit E from capsules as it cooled. I really should order some lip balm containers. I think they would make great gifts.

A harvest feast does sound lovely. I see we just missed the Sukkot celebration. Our Eid al Adha will fall this year the same weekend as USA Thanksgiving. I am looking forward to having a real celebration, maybe even hosting a party on the farm. We bought our Eid lamb, and for better or worse, he is lovely. Of course, both dd and I are in love. Sometimes it is so HARD to be a farmer.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 AM

our harvest celebration was wonderful!! not only did we have homegrown or local chicken, turkey, salad, potatoes, carrots, squash ect ect..but we had homemade raspberry wine (to die for), apple cider, apple juice.... it was an amazing feast & some of the best company ever. i am truly blessed here. ngaio my 3 year old had a run in with a lego pirate ship and spilled some blood, but all considering the 11 kids in the house (all between the ages of 1 & 6..3 being identical triplets!) it was quite peaceful. the kids played co-operative board games and we sat and drank yumminess and chatted about this and that.. i took some pictures of the pies that my girls and i made together. its such fun to bake with helpers!

i really love this time of year.

di i mention that it snowed here this past week? its crazy cold and wintery already!

im busy knitting for the winter fair here..

Quote:

Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM

exactly, 1jooj. we're more chaotic when daddy is home - unless we have got some serious organisation + routine going on. otherwise, all days are saturdays.

fern, sounds delightful and very yummy!! i had a wonderful time making pie with my little girls too, it turned out so well, best ever.

well, i'm happy to say that i've made two new homelearning friends yesterday, and one is even pretty close by. and the kids across the street, after seeing us for nearly a year, finally came to say hello with their nanny. i know you're thanking your stars you live in a small town fern, but i'm very pleased maybe we've lost the shiny new look we had and have started to fit in

the house is overwhelming me right now, i don't know where to begin. luckily i have a dear friend coming to stay on the weekend, so i should have some motivation to restore it. two months of clutter built up, plus all the things i brought. where is the hide-under-rock smilie?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM

artparent, maybe you had to be gone a while and they missed you. That's surely a good sign! Your tribe is on its way.

I have the dreaded illness. I can't say it's H1N1, but if it looks like a swine flu and acts like a swine flu...right? Dd has headache, fever, dizziness today. I hurt all over and my chest is tight, so tomorrow I'll be coughing and have fever, most likely. It's moving through. We're sick but all right. It's hard to put everything aside and just lie around getting better. The kids sensed weakness and are watching PBS Kids. We'll work our way through this enormous pot of chicken soup and by the time it's gone, we'll be much better. My eyes hurt.

I dreamed about knitting. I think I'll take a class at the knitting store next session. There's a beginner class in Nov. I could take if I knew what to do with my kids when dh travels. Hrm. I've never been any good at any kind of 3D art (besides cooking, which IMO is art as much as anything else), but I am thinking textiles have promise for me. Knitters, any recommendations? How did you get started?

Suggestions for beeswax scents? I found slider tins online, the rectangular ones, for a quarter each. I could make all sorts of balms, not just lip balm. I even have Nag Champa oil I could mix with beeswax just to make a solid perfume. I thought rose and neroli would be nice for this, too. Thoughts? I can have dd decorate paper that I use for labels.

My mom bought melt-and-pour soap. She wants to "make" soaps for Christmas gifts. With me, at my house, because I have an interest in these things and I have herbs and an understanding of how to use them. She wants my Dad to make little soap holders. I want to learn how to actually cook soap with lye and fats, but that might be something to do sometime while the kids are in school. I have a dear friend who's freezing goat milk now.

MamaFern, we've had sleet and flurries here over the past couple days too. NOT READY! It'll be a little warmer next week, but winter is on its way. I do need to get us all proper snow boots. I think ds has some in the hand-me-down box, not sure about dd, but I need to find something I can use for sledding, snowshoeing, and all the things we force ourselves to do in winter. I should be at a thrift store instead of sick at home.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Well I'm somewhere in the realm of traditional homemaking. I cannot knit or crochet, after much effort, although I can sew, decently (haven't tried actual clothing yet though, but I can mend and make curtains and things around the house).

I try to cook most of our food. I cannot bake bread less than I can buy it for thanks to the bakery outlet (but I do buy WW made with organic ingredients and free of HFCS).

I do most of the home/yard maintenance (except roofing and gutter cleaning). Our garden was a blowout as I was traveling most of the summer. We have two children and are hopeful for a third, and a weenie dog.

ATM I have two sick kids so things have been interesting, it's been 5 doctor visits in 4 days. I can happily say that everyone but me is on the mend.

DH is an insurance agent in the family business (2 offices, 2 agents, no CSR's) and runs his own international wiring harness business.

So that's us. I'm considering enlarging our garden, but we have water flow across the property issues that will need to be addressed first (read: flooding in heavy rains).

So, that's us, and I hope to expand my repetoire soon!

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Been busy lately-

We also had the sickies and I admit, yesterday I gave in and bought some pre-made dinners. I can't keep up with the sick kids and dishes. Sadly, I had planned to make extra of things to freeze for such occasions but never got around to it. I hope to this week once everyone is well.

I have made a few things for Christmas and Birthdays, which is good. I have knitting tonight if dh is ok with the Bella. SHe hurt her eye and has been in some pain- poor thing.

Sounds like everyone has had the flu or some sort of bug. Hope everyone is on the mend.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

User Tag List