musty/moldy smell coming from vents... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay this is driving me nuts, whenever I turn on the heat or the ac or just recirculate the air, my house ends up smelling musty/moldy. At first it was only occasionally, and then it was only when I started it up after awhile of not being on, and then it seemed like it was only coming from a few vents, but now it is all the time, every one. I did have a cleaning/inspection and they said everything looked fine and that that was normal for when you first turn on the AC at the start of the summer season, but I kept telling the guy it was smelling with the heat and that I had been running the AC at max for weeks by the time he came so that was not it, but he just couldn't explain it, just kept saying the same thing, urgh! I keep searching and all I find is that same idea... the musty moldy smell the first couple of days when you first start up the AC for the season, I can't seem to find anything about why it's all the time and even just with having the fan on, doesn't matter if it's heat/ac or neither. Any ideas? I can't stand the smell, it makes me ill. All our duct work is in the roof... I can't find anything looking around in the 'attic' that is at all obvious to me. I'm just at a loss and all the more frustrated that I couldn't even get an answer having someone here...???
#2 of 3 Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 AM

The people who owned our home before us were really heavy smokers. We could smell it when we ran the ac or heat. We had our ducts steam cleaned and the smell went totally away. Not sure if that would work for you or not.

Also, have you tried changing the filter?

Sorry, not too much help.
#3 of 3 Old 10-07-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I just don't know if it's the ducts or what, but I don't suspect that it is, I really think it has something to do with the furnace or blower or something... how much did the steam cleaning cost? Seems like hot water probably wouldn't be the best choice for a musty smell though, but maybe, I'm just clueless here! We do change the filter, at least every three months (I have a filter timer and change every 250 hrs).

Thank you for the ideas...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page