Need ideas: 'Green' wishing well for baby shower - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unsure of where to place this post - please move if its better elsewhere

Planning a baby shower for my sister. My family is fairly green, her inlaw side is totally not green. I thought it would be a different idea to do a 'green' wishing well, but his family may have no idea what to do.

On a little wishing well card to insert in the invitation, I was going to write a few ideas of things that are appropriate (books, organic baby products & food, etc...) & also things to avoid (PVC, parabens, SLS, etc...)

I need more ideas. Safe non toxic things to list for the clueless. Should I list some brand names too?
Thanks for your help!!!

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 12:55 AM

Does she know you are throwing the shower? If so, you could have her set up a wish list on amazon.com, and just include it/how to access it in the invitation. Alternatively, somewhere like Babies R Us or Target could be done, and she could just pick the things that fit with her lifestyle there. They give the mom-to-be those tacky little cards to put in shower invitations to let people know where they are registered (yes, I think they are tacky, but I also do think they are helpful ).

Tjej
Old 10-11-2009, 01:00 AM

My friends threw me a shower that was either a hand made item or a favorite used item. I wouldn't of minded if even my big items besides a carseat were used. I'm not sure if that is an option or not. Another idea is freezing environemtnally friendly vegetarian local meals for the mommy.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 PM

I think registries are a good idea as well. I would be careful how to word a "do/do not buy" kind of list. (I'm sure you thought of that!) One thing you might include is her diapering preference if she plans to use cloth and/or a certain type of disposable. I wish I had done that!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM

another thing to write on the the bottom of the invit is "please wrap gifts in recycled or reusable materials"

thats what my mom did for my shower and everyone kinnda go the idea
Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Green Living

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your ideas. I love the thought of hand made things.

Yes, she is registered and she did register for diapers there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadoula2 View Post
another thing to write on the the bottom of the invit is "please wrap gifts in recycled or reusable materials"

thats what my mom did for my shower and everyone kinnda go the idea
Ahhh. for this my sister wants to do what I did for my shower. We inserted a card along with the invite asking people to help save a tree by not wrapping the gift at all except for bows & ribbons. We explained that the gifts would be displayed for all to see & still individually acknowledged. It worked well & saved a lot of time with the dreaded opening of the gifts part of the shower

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Old 10-15-2009, 04:14 PM

My friend threw me a green party, and she did all of the above and make the party favors plants that people could win.

Kristin, sahm to ds Avery (11-15-08) 3 raw fed

User Tag List