I hate flies!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Flies have suddenly taken over my home. Really, just 2 rooms, kitchen and dining room, but they are getting thicker by the day. I have searched for something, anything, rotting that they could be breeding in, and while I did find a science fair under the couch, the flies don't seem to be there.

So I plan to go buy some flypaper (you know that gross gluey stuff) and strategically place it around. But does anyone have a suggestion for where they might be breeding? This is a big old funky house, but I think I have searched all the nooks and crannies. Or prevention suggestions, in case I don't just give up and move out, let the flies have it!!!

HELP!!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you checked for any leaks under the house? Under the sinks? Mold, mini-swamps, rotting wood etc.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
Old 10-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I had advice, but we have a fly problem too. It's awful and we can't figure out where they are breeding. I've been told they breed in cracks on the floor. We have some baseboard that still needs to go up, leaving cracks near the wall. We hope that the problem will go away when we finish that up. In the meantime, I use fly paper too

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
OK - I give up, anyone want a huge funky drafty old farm house???
5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, unless you don't count the one that leaks and always smells a bit ripe.
No AC, heating on the main floor only, refrigerator is dying, stove is dirty, beds not made.
Comes with a month or so worth of dirty laundry, in assorted sizes.
Extensive supplies of the kind of food that no one likes, especially cans with the labels removed
Dandelions rule the lawn, guaranteed for several more seasons
3 acres, fenced and cross fenced, except where a drunk driver knocked out a piece containing the mailbox about 3 weeks ago, and the landlord hasn't fixed it yet
Old storm windows that are cracked and can't be removed, so the windows don't open, which reduces the need for screens
Plumbing and electric, phone and DSL have their quirks, but mainly work, sort of.
No encumbrances, except that my mother will expect delivery of fresh flowers when each type come in season.
Oops, add to the inventory one mildly autistic homeschooled teen YoungSon, who doesn't think the idea of moving and giving the house to the flies would be the best plan. Make it 4 available bedrooms.

Edited to add: - 2 or more semi-feral cats in the barn. They only come in the house to have their babies, then leave for the year. Catching them to spay them is a challenge.
Also included is one old hen, who insists on laying an egg on the front porch each day, so it is a good idea to give her a nest box to do it in

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

User Tag List