OH NO!! Found a science project in my stainless pot.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I CANNOT believe this.... We had well-intentioned company helping to clean up. Some stuff got put out of the way... for awhile... and I didn't notice anything missing! Well, guess what I found? So gross!!

What can I use to sanitize a stainless pot? And a drinking glass, too, btw. They've been cleaned/washed out w/dish soap and the garden hose , but now I need to sanitize!

Will clorox completely disinfect and sanitize it? I don't usually use that stuff, but it is time for the big guns!! Just the thought of putting food in there again just freaks me out! I'm not talking about a little mold here... There was a fuzzy MONSTER growing out of the pot!! It's not a cheapie... It's a professional stainless pot so I can't get rid of/repurpose it. UGH!!!

Anyway, any ideas, tips, or advice?

Anyone btdt? Help!

TIA!

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM

I assume this is fungal growths?

On something like a glass or a stainless steel pot fungus would not be able to penetrate beneath the surface. Thus simple washing will remove anything unpleasant. If you are not against bleach a dilute bleach solution would help to make you feel better (but vinegar would probably do just as well). Alcohol would also kill anything that might possibly be there.

nothing more to say I guess :
Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 PM

How about boiling some water in the pot, maybe with some vinegar, or oranges or lemon slices. You could add the glass in there as well.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 PM

If you've got a dishwasher with a sanitize mode, throw the pot and glass in for a round. Otherwise ...

Fill the pot with water and boil for 3 - 5 minutes!

From experience as a collector of antique glassware, I must disagree with a prior statement that refers to a glass' surface as impenetrable. The surface of glass is scratched by regular cleaning and use - creating places for mold/fungus/bacteria to "hide". But, everyday glassware is easy enough to clean and you've already done the hard work. For a little extra caution, I'd fill the glass with water and a teaspoon of bleach and let it sit for an hour. Then, empty, rinse and fill with a dilute vinegar solution (to neutralize the bleach). Lastly, rinse again.

We've performed science experiments in our cookware too!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 PM

I would remove as much as possible, soak in hot water, rinse, boil with water, use a brillo pad and keep cleaning. I don't think I'd use anything other than hot water and soap.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned

If it's just mold or something, I'd just have my fiance scrape it out and give it a good scrubbing with antibacterial dish soap before throwing it in the washer.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle C. View Post
If it's just mold or something, I'd just have my fiance scrape it out and give it a good scrubbing with antibacterial dish soap before throwing it in the washer.
Best suggestion yet on this thread hehehe.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 10-16-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Best suggestion yet on this thread hehehe.

Too bad I already did that part w/the garden hose! Dh would have looooved coming home to THAT!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the great replies! I'm going to use all of them! Boiling, bleach, vinegar, dishwasher.... probably in that order. Nothing like a little overkill, but you should have seen it..... Y.U.K.!! And of course I had to find it the night before we were leaving for vacation .... UGH! What a sight I must have been out in the yard, in the dark w/the hose, freaking out over this thing!!! It was too much! Good thing we don't have real close neighbors!

Thanks again...

Old 10-16-2009, 05:02 PM

I thought this kind of stuff only happened to me. LOL.

I was cleaning out/organizing 2 cupboards on Tuesday and found the still dirty pan from DS's birthday cake. His birthday was in July. Luckily it was not anywhere near as bad as your surprise find.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 PM

Gross as it is - at least you found it before you went on vacation!!! It would've just been that much grosser....
Old 10-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

LOL, I asked my fiance after I posted my reply above, "What if we found a pot that had a bunch of mold or something growing in it?"

I must have him trained. Either that, or he pampers me more than I realize.

"I'd just scrape it into the garbage and wash it out and put it in the dishwasher."

HE'D do it! He said so!!

Really though a simple washing is fine, no need for overkill. I'm sure, in the scheme of things, dead animal flesh isn't really any better in our pots. It's not like most seeping below the surface of a wooden cutting board. Don't worry about it, truly.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Here's our story -

One day the house started to STINK - and I mean stink. It was coming either from the pantry or the basement. We also had a mouse problem so I became convinced something had died in the basement. This went on for a few days until I found the time to really deal with it. It soon became clear that it was in the pantry (I work full-time, so it's not like I was in the house all day with the smell). I told DH I thought it might be the potatoes since it seemed to be where we kept them. Thank GOD it wasn't dead animal. So eventually, I go into the pantry - what do I find? TWO pounds of hamburger meat, still in the plastic grocery bags stuffed down where the potatoes should have been. That's my DH for you - he does all the grocery shopping and putting away.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
It soon became clear that it was in the pantry (I work full-time, so it's not like I was in the house all day with the smell). I told DH I thought it might be the potatoes since it seemed to be where we kept them. Thank GOD it wasn't dead animal. So eventually, I go into the pantry - what do I find? TWO pounds of hamburger meat, still in the plastic grocery bags stuffed down where the potatoes should have been. That's my DH for you - he does all the grocery shopping and putting away.
:Puke Oh DEAR... that must have been absolutely VILE lol.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
Here's our story -

One day the house started to STINK - and I mean stink. It was coming either from the pantry or the basement. We also had a mouse problem so I became convinced something had died in the basement. This went on for a few days until I found the time to really deal with it. It soon became clear that it was in the pantry (I work full-time, so it's not like I was in the house all day with the smell). I told DH I thought it might be the potatoes since it seemed to be where we kept them. Thank GOD it wasn't dead animal. So eventually, I go into the pantry - what do I find? TWO pounds of hamburger meat, still in the plastic grocery bags stuffed down where the potatoes should have been. That's my DH for you - he does all the grocery shopping and putting away.

I sure hope that since it was still in plastic bags that you didn't have to look directly at it.....

User Tag List