How to get toddler pee out of carpet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my DS is on again, off again potty learning and as a result has peed on the carpet several times when I haven't been able to catch him quick enough. I've shampooed the carpet three times in an attempt to get rid of the odor, today being the most recent attempt, and my living room still reeks of pee. I can't figure out if he did it in another area that I'm missing but today I actually removed all the furniture and shampooed the entire carpet with no luck.

So any advice on how to get this out of my carpet and have my house smell like normal again?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#2 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 PM

What I've usually done is sprinkled the carpet liberally with baking soda, then rubbed at it very hard with a stiff brush or a good broom. Then let it sit awhile, and then vacuum up the baking soda. We've had good results doing that, although sometimes I have to do it more than once.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM

biokleen
#4 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try the broom and baking soda tonight. I can't do spot treatment since I don't know exactly where he peed so I'm not sure how I'd use the biokleen.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#5 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 PM

What about an enzyme cleaner such as what is used for pet accidents. We have Nature's Miracle and I have heard of people using it in the steam cleaners instead of shampoo so they can do the whole carpet.
#6 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney205 View Post
What about an enzyme cleaner such as what is used for pet accidents. We have Nature's Miracle . . .
We love Nature's Miracle. We found it for our cat, and use it even more now that we have a toddler who sometimes pees outside the potty.
Melinda
#7 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I can use something like that in my shampooer, it says not to use brands of shampoo not made by the manufacturer in order to prevent the risk of fire and/or electrocution. Not sure how either of those could occur but I'd rather not find out

#8 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Actually, it's not made to go in a shampooer, and I have never used it in one. First you dry the spot thoroughly and vacuum any bits up (like if you are cleaning up cat barf or something - not for pee, obviously). Then you spray the whole stinky spot with the enzyme cleaner and get it really soaked with the stuff. If it's all the way down in the padding, you have to soak that deep. Then you dry it completely. I blow a fan at it to speed up the drying.
Melinda
#9 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 AM

We just spray the bacout all over the carpet and then shampoo afterwards. I wouldn't recommend putting it in the shampooer b/c it kills the bubbles in the soap. Unless you run it with just hot water and bacout.

My husband sold Kirbys for years. THey tell you not to use other soaps to keep the brand loyalty and make you buy their soap. For most things it's reasonable, but running hot water & bacout through it won't cause your shampooer to burst into flames. Trust me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page