Mothering Forum banner

Decorating mamas

561 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Collinsky 
#1 ·
In your decorating, do you have a "theme" throughout your home, or is each room totally its own space, with its own style? For instance, would you have a "French country" kitchen with a "Bohemian Chic" bedroom or "Moroccan bazaar" living room with an "art deco" bathroom? Or is there a fairly consistent style tying together each room, even if it has its own individuality -- each room clearly "belongs" in your home.

I see lovely photos of beautifully decorated homes shared here and in magazines, etc, and I think without exception (that I've seen!) there's been a clear aesthetic linking each room to the others within each home. I'm not talking about eclecticism in decorating -- even those whose photos I've seen who were extremely eclectic in style, were the same kind of eclectic consistently through each space. If that makes sense.

I was wondering if this is sort of a no-brainer for successful decorating, to really develop one aesthetic and committing to it, or if its just that I haven't seen the homes where that isn't the case - where the "French country" kitchen leads to a "Moroccan" living room, and it looks great? If you do NOT have a consistent style from room to room, do you have ways of making that successful?

I'm thinking that because my kitchen, dining room, and living room are all open to one another, that I have to consider them one larger space, and decorate accordingly, even though I see them very differently. I just have very different images in my mind of a great living room and a great kitchen. They don't really seem to be on the same page at all! But if I make the whole downstairs a certain theme, then I feel obligated to carry it everywhere (or I wouldn't know where was a non-abrupt place to segue into another style) and that just seems like too much of one thing.

I know a lot about what I like, but haven't figured out any kind of cohesive style, I suppose.

See less See more
#2 ·
Decorate each room according to what you want! Use white trim throughout the house to tie each room together. Even if your living/dining/kitchen are open, you can still decorate/paint each space differently.

My rooms don't have a "theme" or particular style but they're all different from the next and when people come over, they are always impressed with what I've done. I believe your home should tell a story about you.

If you want each room to be different, make them that way! Start on the room you're most hungry for and go to town. If you don't like it, change it.

What ideas do you have in mind?

#3 ·
My home is fairly eclectic and while it doesn't really have a true "theme", I do have the same color scheme throughout. I think it feels cozier, more cohesive and settling that way. I like that I can take any item from any room and it will fit anywhere else in my house. The only times I deviate is the private rooms (bedrooms), but I think all public spaces should flow.

I also think rooms that link together (like a joined living room, dining room) should have the same flooring and window treatments.

Your home is very personal, though, decorate like you want

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post

What ideas do you have in mind?
Ugh, I had a really long reply typed up, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on you're perspective
) my LO shut the computer off before it was submitted.

Long story short: my ideal living room is eclectic Moroccan (meaning heavily influenced by Moroccan design, but definitely not limited to, as I like Indian and other decor as well) - lots of really warm spicy colors (reds, oranges, amber -- persimmon is a favorite
), low furniture, pillows, fabrics.

The kitchen idea that I had was tending toward country - more European than Americana or rustic, although I have been gifted a couple Americana style chickens... and they seem to be dictating the style direction of the space. They very much don't mesh with the Old World-style rooster tile that I adore. I wish I could design my whole kitchen around it. And if I did, I bet I might end up with a sort of Tuscan-y space, and with the warm tones I bet that would really blend well with the colors of the living room. I imagine something like that could work well. Once you have the palette more in sync, it just seems simpler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.