protecting our family from toxins during remodeling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi-

Hopefully someone here can point me to a good resource on this topic. We're about to buy a house that needs work. Specifically it needs a new roof, wood repairs and tenting for termites, and central heat installed.

I'm wondering what we need to do to make sure there is no lead or other nasty chemicals or residues left inside the house after the remodeling is done. The house was built before 1978, so I know there's lead paint in it. The heater people will be putting in vents in the ceilings of the rooms, so the paint will be disturbed.

From what we've read, once we let the house air out after the termite tenting, the chemicals used should not harm us.

There's also old carpet in the house that we're having taken out. The wood floors will need refinishing after the work is done to repair termite damage. How dangerous is the refinishing and how can we protect ourselves from the fumes? We won't be living in the house while any of this work is done, but we want to move in asap.

I know there are a lot of different things we're having done, but if anyone knows of where to find information, that would be great. If it makes a difference, we live in CA.

Thanks for any advice!
#2 of 6 Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 PM

What year was it built? Not all pre-1978 houses have lead ... they just *might* have lead. Windows and doors (if painted) would be the #1 places for a chemical lead test kit, as there could be dust generated. If they are positive for lead, replace or send out for stripping.

I would do the central heat installation and floor refinishing LAST. (roof and tenting first, then wood repair, then any painting) Plan on venting the house for 3 or more days after floor refinishing - including all vent fans on for 24 hours.

Since the roof is coming off anyway, make sure all vent fans go to the outside of the house, not the attic space.

It sounds like a really big job, try to have some flexibility on your move-in date.
#3 of 6 Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Subbing in case there are more replies. We are planning to do something similar. I'm also not sure what year they stopped using asbestos. Someone told me they stopped using lead paint in 1968, but maybe it's 1978? Even so you wonder how many are like outdated vaccines, people still using up the illegal old ones.
#4 of 6 Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
What year was it built? Not all pre-1978 houses have lead ... they just *might* have lead. Windows and doors (if painted) would be the #1 places for a chemical lead test kit, as there could be dust generated. If they are positive for lead, replace or send out for stripping.

I would do the central heat installation and floor refinishing LAST. (roof and tenting first, then wood repair, then any painting) Plan on venting the house for 3 or more days after floor refinishing - including all vent fans on for 24 hours.

Since the roof is coming off anyway, make sure all vent fans go to the outside of the house, not the attic space.

It sounds like a really big job, try to have some flexibility on your move-in date.
Thanks for the info. Yes, we're definitely doing the tenting and the roof first. They'll probably do the wood repair at the same time the other guys put on the new roof. That's interesting about the vent fans. We'll have to ask the heater guy about that. Are you talking about vents for the heating system?
#5 of 6 Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmide_m View Post
Subbing in case there are more replies. We are planning to do something similar. I'm also not sure what year they stopped using asbestos. Someone told me they stopped using lead paint in 1968, but maybe it's 1978? Even so you wonder how many are like outdated vaccines, people still using up the illegal old ones.

Yes, lead paint was stopped in 1978, but I bet people still used up the old lead paint after that.

I'm not sure of the date regarding asbestos, but I talked with a guy at a lead abatement service and he said the most common places to find asbestos are in heating ducts and popcorn ceilings.

I read your siggie and my heart goes out to you. I hope your luck will change and you'll have a baby in your arms one way or another soon.
#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
That's interesting about the vent fans. We'll have to ask the heater guy about that. Are you talking about vents for the heating system?
I am talking about the bathroom and kitchen vent fans.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page