A big blank wall to decorate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have this large wall in our living room that is bare as bare can be and it doesn't help that the wall color sort of blends in the furniture as well - creamy/off white/tan color.

Would you look for a cool piece of art and hang it up there or would you fill it with family pics and professional pics of your LO's in eclectic frames?

Thoughts and ideas MUCH appreciated as the bareness is driving me crazy and I'm trying to be as cost efficient as I can.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM

We had a similar bare wall behind our sofa as well. I ended up buying several different sized pictures frames all in the same dark expresso (our walls are a taupe and so is our sofa) and ended up putting a mix of pics from the boys. I did several sizes ranging from 5x7 to 11x14 (?) its really large and had the pictures printed in black and white. I then basically mixed them around the wall to from a grouping but not to matchy matchy (I tend to be a little ocd about that..im working on it) It was relatively expensive as I purchased the frames at a discount store and the pics from their photo lab. I think it ended up being well under $100 but only because I did several really large "poster" sized prints. (we have large vaulted ceilings)
Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
We had a similar bare wall behind our sofa as well. I ended up buying several different sized pictures frames all in the same dark expresso (our walls are a taupe and so is our sofa) and ended up putting a mix of pics from the boys. I did several sizes ranging from 5x7 to 11x14 (?) its really large and had the pictures printed in black and white. I then basically mixed them around the wall to from a grouping but not to matchy matchy (I tend to be a little ocd about that..im working on it) It was relatively expensive as I purchased the frames at a discount store and the pics from their photo lab. I think it ended up being well under $100 but only because I did several really large "poster" sized prints. (we have large vaulted ceilings)
See, that's another thing I'm up in the air about. Our furniture - throughout the entire house, is dark brown/espresso color, but I think the pictures that I have of DS and the fam would look better in black frames. Is that okay to mix and match that way? Maybe have some black and some silver or printed to sort of mix it up?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM

I would hire a muralist. They are much cheaper than one would think. My bff has a mural on her bedroom ceiling of the stars that glow in the dark and a mural in one bathroom. Increased the value of her home because it is called "custom paint".

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
See, that's another thing I'm up in the air about. Our furniture - throughout the entire house, is dark brown/espresso color, but I think the pictures that I have of DS and the fam would look better in black frames. Is that okay to mix and match that way? Maybe have some black and some silver or printed to sort of mix it up?
You could always paint the frames.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 PM

I had the same "problem" and already had my walls covered in picture frames/collage frames so on that wall we put up a beautiful HUGE clock

I LOVE it...
I can't find the exact one online but it's similar to this one but with a brown-ish background :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=-1&SKU=120388

Mama to 2 little men (2004 & 2005) and a little lady who just arrived january 8th
Always remembering our little angels up above.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 PM

I'd make a big fabric hanging. Get a really gorgeous fabric and stretch and staple it onto the frame of a huge corkboard.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3plus2isme View Post
I had the same "problem" and already had my walls covered in picture frames/collage frames so on that wall we put up a beautiful HUGE clock

I LOVE it...
I can't find the exact one online but it's similar to this one but with a brown-ish background :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=-1&SKU=120388
Love that clock! We just 'adopted' a clock from my IL's basement - my MIL is a HUGE collector and she let us have a Regulator brand clock that we put up in our family room. It's made a huge difference on that blank wall that I was trying to find something for as well.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post
I'd make a big fabric hanging. Get a really gorgeous fabric and stretch and staple it onto the frame of a huge corkboard.
That is a great idea, too!! I think I found the photo collage set that I want to buy. 10 piece set, comes in silver and is only $24.99. I'll just need to buy 3 more 8x10 sized frames - maybe in black or another color and mix them up. The wheels are turning.... Thanks, mamas!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:49 PM

I have a large tie dye tapestry on my wall...it covers from celing to the chair rail and edge to edge left to right. I have had more compliments on it than any other piece of art or decoration that I have in my home. If you're into to that sort of thing, it is quite a conversation piece. We got it at Langerado in 2008...a great souvinier (sp?) that I get to enjoy everyday.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif

User Tag List