what's your kitchen theme? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrez View Post
When we bought this condo and redecorated someone said to us, "The 70's called and they want their kitchen back"

'nuff said.
that sounds great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My kitchen is vintage pink and gray from about 1955, complete with boomerang-pattern Formica and a really cool dishwasher door with a massive handle that looks like something from a sci-fi film of the era. We've found that we really like the tight color scheme. People give us pink dishcloths, towels, potholders, etc. whenever they see some for sale, so we have a variety (solid pink, plaid, multi-pastel polka dots, raspberries, etc.) and it looks cheery. It's pretty easy to find stainless steel accessories, or white fits in fine. My mom got us some pink-and-gray canisters from an antique store that blend in perfectly; we are afraid of their 50-year-old plastic, so we use them to corral some small bottles that were cluttering the counter.

When we moved in, we converted all of our old dishcloths (mostly green) to bathroom cleaning cloths. It's really handy to have this color coding--the old ones are still useful, but there's no chance of washing dishes with anything that's ever been in the toilet bowl!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#33 of 58 Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right now it is a dated 70s theme - flowered cheap countertops, dingy brown cupbords, and a stove that only has 2 working burners. We are saving money for a new IKEA kitchen, but that is likely a few years off.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#34 of 58 Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone, keep them coming.
#35 of 58 Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM

I like folkloric patterns and clean surfaces. In my kitchen the general color scheme is "red with white and stainless steel." I'm striving for a more minimalist look, although not in a modernist way.

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#36 of 58 Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 PM

I went for a 1940s farmhouse kind of theme in my kitchen. Our kitchen was in sorry shape when we bought this place (wall paper border as the backsplash, pink countertop, ugly, big wooden pulls on the cabinets, not to mention the cabinets painted in an off-white that always looked dirty) so we've been updating it. We weren't able to afford putting in new cabinets so I ripped off an idea straight from a kitchen and bath magazine for a 1940s farmhouse kitchen that involved painting the cabinets a pure white, new vintage-looking hardward and a beadboard backsplash. This is what we ended up with. I need a new rug by the sink but other than that, I love it.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#37 of 58 Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 PM

My old kitchen was french country. The walls were sunflower yellow and the accessories were yellow and green. The cabinets were kind of a dark honey wainscotting style with black wrought iron handles. I LOVED my old kitchen. My new one I call "cheap falling apart crap" LOL We moved in a year ago today (happy anniversary house!) and all we've done so far is replace the appliances with stainless steel ones. Eventually it will be gutted and redone and I will have my french country back with sunflowers and roosters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24234662@N05/4190572193/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24234662@N05/4191333712/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24234662@N05/4191333276/

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#38 of 58 Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 AM

well I *want* it to be a sort of pioneer rustic coffee shop. But right now it is just spring green & it's "us". We have open shelves for storage and stacked cabinents. My geico gecko picture collection and a huge white board. It's kinda busy and waaay too messy, but it's small for 7 people so what can you do?
#39 of 58 Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 PM

We have white cupboards, a wood-look floor, and turquoise countertops that came with the kitchen. Since the countertops are custom dimensions, I have made peace with them and have continued on with a 50's theme. We have a yellow vinyl/chrome dinette set, and one wall is painted red, another is turquoise, and the other two walls are just white. Accents are chrome, linens are turquoise/yellow/red or black & white. We have great built-in cabinets that are reminiscent of the time, too. I wanted to do a black and white checkerboard floor, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. It's just a cheery place to be!
#40 of 58 Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 AM

My kitchen is red. My rice cooker and all my pots & pans are red. I had red mixing bowls but they got lost in the move from CA to UT. My good dishesare white but my cheao plastic ones are shades of red & orange. I also have this red apron hanging up on the wall; got it on Etsy last year.

eta - with my Christmas money this year I think I will get Fiesta dishes in scarlet, sunflower, lemongrass, persimmon, turquoise, and tangerine.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#41 of 58 Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 AM

Sunflowermommy, can I steal your kitchen??? Pleeease!!!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#42 of 58 Old 12-21-2009, 12:37 AM

Mine has no theme. Our kitchen was updated by the former owners with boring light wood cabinets, fake granite (forminca) counterops in an awful kinda of mauve color, "brass" drawer pulls, white appliances, and bright white tile backsplash with bright blue turkish tiles as accents. The bright blue tiles clash with the pink countertop. I hate the "brass." I'd love to replace the countertop and get stainless appliances, but it isn't in the budget.

Our kitchen is also quite small, so my theme is "minamalist' - I can't stand having stuff out on the counter.
#43 of 58 Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
Sunflowermommy, can I steal your kitchen??? Pleeease!!!
LOL I wish I could have packed it up and taken it with me when we moved last year. I miss it terribly. We planned that kichen ourselves and picked every last detail. It was my baby. Our kitchen right now is awful with cheap falling apart cabinets and hideous green and copper swirly countertops. I can't wait until we have the money to renovate it.

#44 of 58 Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 PM

fun thread!
My kitchen has a yellow and turquoise theme. Our cabinets are painted a vanilla color and the walls are a butter yellow. I have all yellow and turquoise fiestaware dishes and my mom has gifted me many additional yellow and turquoise fiestaware pieces (teapots, butter dishes, etc.) I loooove them .
I've got a turquoise teapot, antique blue ball jars on the window sill, vintage yellow and turquoise crochet potholders on the wall. My kitchen is still a bit of a work in progress (cabinets are in the process of still being painted, we need curtains), but I love my bright and cheerful kitchen!

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#45 of 58 Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Ok- my mom came over and...

we redid the chairs. Sanded, painted, put new cushions and reupholstered.

Once they are dry (we did 4 out of 6 so far) I will reattach the cushions and post some pics! Because they aren't ALL done yet, I think I can do some "before" and "after" shots.
#46 of 58 Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Pirates!!!

No, actually...I wish. My husband won't let me lol. The bathroom is pirates, and he says one pirate themed room is enough. Drat.

My kitchen is french chefs, in lime green with black and white checkered accents. I love it.

I have 3 kids! : Lookit them go!!!
#47 of 58 Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaluvspirates View Post
Pirates!!!

No, actually...I wish. My husband won't let me lol. The bathroom is pirates, and he says one pirate themed room is enough. Drat.

My kitchen is french chefs, in lime green with black and white checkered accents. I love it.
Although that would be fun, I have to say I wouldn't be up for pirates in the kitchen for the same reason that I won't stand for chickens in my kitchen..

Have you EVER known a pirate to wash their hands?
#48 of 58 Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 PM

red and tan/yellow
#49 of 58 Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM

I hope this works!

damage on chairs (before) worn/stained fabric and chipped paint

Check out the monkeys on the new fabric!

I have to admit, I have had the fabric sitting around for quite some time, and I somehow thought the leaves/foliage were greener than they are, but I love it as is!

Before/After

I hope all those links work!
#50 of 58 Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I like my kitchen to be as colorful as possible, and since I rent all the color has to come through my stuff. So...

I have a red mixer, green blender, blue food processor
I have a 12 person set of fiestaware in 12 different colors, plus fiesta accessories also in random colors.
I have a red hutch that displays my collection of polish pottery.

I doubt this is unique, but it looks cool.
My bff took a set of plain farm chairs and painted them each a different color. There's a yellow one, a blue one, a purple one.. they look great in her (also) very colorful kitchen.
#51 of 58 Old 01-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I have to say, it's cracking me up that roosters are gross in a kitchen, but monkeys are okay.
As someone with a Rooster kitchen, I had to laugh at the monkeys, too! I get it though; I could care less about roosters, but I came across so many of them at yard sales and such last year, I just can't stop collecting them now. Just before Christmas, I found a beautiful stained-glass rooster wind chime for in front of my kitchen window. I love it! Anyway, monkeys are cute, too. I'd love to see pics of all these lovely-sounding kitchens!

#52 of 58 Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM

I have medium olive colored walls with natural color birch cabinets and brown ceramic tile. It has a very earthy feel.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#53 of 58 Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 AM

My kitchen theme is 'boring' But I do have a GREAT cookie jar (edge of the lid is cracked so it's just decorative now, but I LOVE it too much to get rid of it!) that is a fat cat that is orange and turquoise I have a set of potteryware (big fruit bowl, platter and utensil crock) that have bright Italian villa scenes on them that oddly enough coordinate fairly well with the cat And a few months ago I picked up oven mits and an apron at Ikea that are bright stripes in those colours as well. So it's coming along slowly.

We rent the house we live in, so arent' supposed to put nails into the walls (but have gotten the ok for a few) so I want to get some cool decorative tiles to put on the soffit above the cupboards. 3m velcro picture hangers are a renters dream come true!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#54 of 58 Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 AM

What a fun thread!

I used to have an awesome 1950's kitchen in my old house, and I really miss it. Our current kitchen is lovely 1972 particle board, fake brass and ugly gold/white "marble" formica. It used to have black trim, brown panneling and very dark green walls with an ivy wall paper "chair rail". We painted the walls yellow like Sunflower's kitchen, the trim and panneling white. While it is not what I would want, it is so much better! Our accessories are colbalt blue or white.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#55 of 58 Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM

My kitchen is painted white and has red and white appliances and a cafe theme. The border is a series of 3 coffee house prints repeated and then I have the print in a larger size hanging on my wall. The table runner matches those. I have a hanging coffee mug rack on the wall with red and white mugs too

obstruct livery vehicles

#56 of 58 Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM

My kitchen is green and white with a "homey" theme. It's not really done yet but we got a good start. Totally done on the cheap but I love it. Pics here.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#57 of 58 Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
My kitchen is green and white with a "homey" theme. It's not really done yet but we got a good start. Totally done on the cheap but I love it. Pics here.
I love your kitchen! The green you chose is so beautiful and calming. Isn't it amazing what a couple cans of paint can do? I love older cabinets. They last and all they need is paint every once in a while. Our new house is 13 years old and the junky cabinets they chose for the kitchen are already falling apart. Paint wouldn't even help them because they have the laminate on them which is all peeling back and breaking off. I miss old school real wood cabinets.

#58 of 58 Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 AM

My theme is "Key west" My husband is not a fan of anything tropical and we even live in florida but I consider the kitchen my territory so I made it how I want. Let me see if I can dig up some pics.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page