what's your kitchen theme? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious what theme you guys have for your kitchen. It could be a color scheme or the decor. I'm looking at redoing my kitchen and was just looking for some ideas? Anyone have a really unique theme?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 AM

I like my kitchen to be as colorful as possible, and since I rent all the color has to come through my stuff. So...

I have a red mixer, green blender, blue food processor
I have a 12 person set of fiestaware in 12 different colors, plus fiesta accessories also in random colors.
I have a red hutch that displays my collection of polish pottery.

I doubt this is unique, but it looks cool.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 AM

that sounds cheery, Chamomile Girl.

I'm subbing to this thread b/c I need ideas, too.

My theme is uh, stainless steel appliances, beige tile, and brown cabinets?

I've got some chile peppers hanging up by the back door but that's about the extent of my kitchen decor.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 AM

Mine is vintage. The walls are tan/brown and the cabinets are dark brown, but I rent so that's not my fault. My colors are orange/red/yellow, and it looks very groovy in my kitchen.

I have a small hook rack with vintage aprons, a big peg board painted orange that holds all my pots and pans, vintage clock and vintage thermometer, and the COOLEST vintage tea towel framed above my stove.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM

I have a very loose interpretation of French country. The walls are a (pretty bright and cheery) yellow. I have valances that are yellow with a dark red toile scene. I have a few things above the cabinets--my favorites are vintage canning jars with dried beans of a few colors in them, plus some vintage roosters my MIL got for a wedding present.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Roosters! I don't have a 'thing' for them, but after we moved into our house a couple of years ago, I kept seeing rooster-themed things at yard sales that I just had to have! I guess my kitchen is along the country-type style now, and I must say, I love my roosters! Otherwise, it's a pale-yellow colour (don't love it, but haven't been bothered to paint yet), with tea-stained lace curtains and off-white cabinets. The counters are wood and the whole room is kind of a natural/neutral shade.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
White, tan and green with vintage Merry Mushrooms. I'll link a picture of those. http://shop.ebay.com/items/merry%20m...D=186789830512

Its so funky 70's that I love it.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
White, tan and green with vintage Merry Mushrooms. I'll link a picture of those. http://shop.ebay.com/items/merry%20m...D=186789830512

Its so funky 70's that I love it.
I have that set of canisters! They belonged to my husband's grandmother. I lurve them!

To answer the OP question...atm, my "theme" is messy but I have tan walls and rose and moss green accents and tan, rose, and moss colored floors, with stainless appliances...I would say it's modern country? Simple moss matchstick blinds and white and moss green formica counters..(a throw back to the 70's..) the house came with them, I just did the floors, walls, and accessories to match since re-doing them wasn't in the budget.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I like my kitchen to be as colorful as possible
I'm the same way

The colors we have in our kitchen are beach inspired so blue greens and sands etc. The tile that we picked out for the backsplash we're putting in inspired the "theme".

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM

I have white cupboards and white tile backsplash, tan colored countertops, avacado green walls with black and white appliances and decor. I painted it over 5 years ago and still love it.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:23 PM

our kitchen has (blah!) oak cabinets which i would like to paint, off-white countertops. the walls are sort of a medium amethyst color. dish towels are colorful - red, orange, turquoise. i have a turquoise candle holder, some kid artwork on the wall, no window treatments (yet) but the fabric i bought is, like, purple, orange, hot pink, turquoise . . .

one wall of the kitchen functions almost like a hallway leading to the basement stairs, with no cabinets on it. it's kind of staging area for dh's paintings-in-progress. they're not finished so we're not exactly displaying them, but it's a safe and easily accessible place for them to be. (he's supposed to paint in the basement or garage, but in reality, he's doing it in the kitching / dining room / living room because that's easier with the boys around.)

so i guess our kitchen is crazy.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM

oh, here's the listing for our (old) house, which has an adorable, tiny kitchen. it's fairly neutral: greige cabinets, champagne walls with white trim, but it has a colorful light fixture which can be picked up in the textiles, canisters, etc (if there were anything else in the ktichen!). since the light is on in the photo, you can't really tell, but it's a murano-glass light fixture with blue, orange and red splotches on a white background.

http://duluthrealty.idxsearch.com/id...D=&PT=RES&CF=X
(kitchen is second photo)

i much prefer to just use color, because i think i would quickly get tired of a specific 'motif' and i don't like everything to be all matchy.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Ours is a Wine/Chef theme. Our curtains, pot holder, floor mat are all very similar to this theme. We did a wash techinque on the wall that looks tucan-ish and the cabinets are white. The floors are a wood. I love our kitchen.

-Rachel

Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 PM

blue and yellow! i have blue and yellow fiesta ware and various other colorful kitchen things

Katie
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM

It used to be wine and grapes (old house) - now the color scheme at our new house is rust orange painted tile (backsplash), olive green valance, off white distressed cabinets w/ dark bronze hardware w/ a nice mix of the colors above on quartz countertop. We also have hardwood floors in our kitchen w/ an off white stove and dishwasher, but stainless fridge and microwave. I love the color. It's neutral and flows w/ the breakfast area and family room!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Looks like I'm not the only one with a vintage mushroom cannister collection! But mine are the kind grandma's painted for a hobby in the '70s.

We just redid our kitchen on the cheap. We have Morrocan Red Walls, Cinnabark dark brown cabinets & trim, with a Lemongrass accent color on our sink base & accent shelf. This is a color combination suggested in the Behr Paint & Primer in one series. We also did the dining room to match with the red and a light cream color (the 4th in the suggestion) on some of the walls & both ceilings.

I like to have my pots & pans hanging, so they're hanging from the original mantle. We're trying to redo in stainless, but so far have only done the stove. I like to have bowls of fruit & am currently looking for some big glass cannisters for my baking supplies & dry goods. I also have hanging baskets for my onions, potatoes, garlic, etc.

I like to have everything on display & easy at hand, which is good b/c I only have a few cabinets. Our next hope is to redo the counter top with a piece of Ikea Butcher Block, which I just found out if we go with the thinner piece, could cost us less than $100!

This is all accented by my awesome new red kitchenaide mixer! Happy birthday to me!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 PM

I think my kitchen is pretty unique......its rustic without being "country"
My cabinets, stairs to the second floor, and all the mouldings are made of 200year old barnboard. We have a massive soapstone sink with a handpump for a faucet (you don't pump it however, its just for show) The walls are a very cool olive green and I also have some antique tool boxes above my stove that hold vintage looking things. I have a shabby old dresser that holds all our stuff and plants and eventually I want to add on to it to make it into a hutch to display my le creuset (and hopefully soon to be fiestaware collection)
Our countertops are tiled which I HATE! But we are hoping to cover them with stainless steel to match our appliances.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Does anyone have pictures they want to post? They all sound so beautiful! My kitchen is currently themeless and mostly white. I would really like to brighten it up or make it warm and cozy.

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Theme? Just trying to keep some counter space open enough for cooking is about it.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairy_gamp View Post
Theme? Just trying to keep some counter space open enough for cooking is about it.
Me too. I was going to say, "Theme? Messy!"
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 PM

colorful? I have reddish pink walls, and having to live with white trim & cabinets (they used to be green courtsey of the previous owners). I have red pans, green teakettle, a rainbow of floursack towels and the kids artwork (finger painting) hanging up on the walls.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 12-12-2009, 01:31 PM

My dp wants roosters in our kitchen. I don't think roosters belong in a kitchen (although I know it is a popular theme). Dp grew up with chickens in the house so it makes him think of home, it makes me think of grossness. Yuck. Outside, fine, in my house? Nope.

I am looking for a red and gold Asian/Polynesian theme for towels and hotpads and such. My living room and kitchen are open and those are the colors in the living room. I am recovering my kitchen chairs with a palm leaf print with little circus monkeys in red and gold costumes. I think its cute.

Most of my kitchen (counter tops, cabinets, etc) I picked earthy colors, so although it isn't WHITE, it is pretty neutral.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 PM

I wanted a cherry theme but, well, it's hard to find stuff with cherries on it! So, I have white wainscoating and trim, a light sage on the walls and white cabinets. It's sort of vintage ranch with a couple of cherries places. I like the pop of red against the sage, I just wish I had more.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Another wine one here... My wallpaper is off-white with berries, the cabinets are a dark pink, and the curtains are a fabric with pics of wine labels. It has been about 6 years since it was done and the whole kitchen is in desperate need to remodeling. I am thinking of going with a more woodsy/cabin-ish theme next time.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I don't think roosters belong in a kitchen (although I know it is a popular theme).it makes me think of grossness. Yuck. Outside, fine, in my house? Nope.

. I am recovering my kitchen chairs with a palm leaf print with little circus monkeys in red and gold costumes.
I have to say, it's cracking me up that roosters are gross in a kitchen, but monkeys are okay.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have black appliances & red "stuff." The dishes we use the most are red square ones, although we have a bunch of plain white dishes, too. All my dish towels/dishcloths are red & white plaid. My curtains are red with tan/brown accents. I love red in a kitchen I read somewhere that you should always use red & yellow in kitchens, because they stimulate the appetite. Blue & green make you not feel hungry. Which I guess, if you're dieting, that could be a good thing!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:06 AM

When we bought this condo and redecorated someone said to us, "The 70's called and they want their kitchen back"

'nuff said.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I have to say, it's cracking me up that roosters are gross in a kitchen, but monkeys are okay.
Yeah I know. It's ironic.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Lotus.Blossome ~ your house sounds awesome. I am love with "old" stuff. My kitchen is primitive ~ old jars, yellowware bowls, wooden kitchen utensils, old food crates. My favorite color is blue, so most of my house revolves around that color. Cupboards are oak with white tile and black appliances. I would like hardwood floors, but they are just white for now.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 PM

Yeah! primitive is the word for it. I live in a saltbox and like that style. I have a bunch of punched tin light fixtures but I am going to replace them with something a little more modern. My house is a mish mash of modern loft meets primitive. Weird I know. We just came into a lot of old hand hewn beams and barnboards and we're going to handcraft a large dining table. I am so excited!!

Dawning mama. I love cherries too! I was at a yard sale once and I had a purse with cherries on it and the lady said- boy do I have somethig for you! It was a huge lot of glasses with the cutest cherries on them. I love those glasses!

Pinoikoi- I think my sons preschool has that monkey pattern on their windowseats. Its super cute, and not really obvious (that they are monkeys)

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)

User Tag List