traditional homemaking: a homemade winter! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 324 Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll take another look at Flylady. The last time I looked at her website i got overwhelmed!

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#122 of 324 Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 PM

subbing

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#123 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
us, too ... same reasons!! backyard chickens and a baby on the floors.
Glad I'm not the only one

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#124 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 PM

We're a no-shoe house, too. Both dh and I grew up in no-shoe houses. I was on a dairy farm, and he was in North Africa, where it's normal. I agree that it feels "uncivilized" to leave shoes on, and I get very offended when visitors leave theirs on.

I do not "keep" a clean house. A few days a week, I tidy up really well. I try to keep it to a point where I feel good about it, and I do floors from time to time...as needed, I guess. But we dirty up fast here.

I want to get more organized this year, so that I can enjoy the things I'm doing. I hate having to scramble to put together a meal at 4PM because I didn't think about it earlier. So, I am trying to arrange a morning routine that promotes a calmer house. I think I am going to move barn chores back to pre-schoolbus time, too. I used to feed and water at 6:30, but now that I don't have to be at the office at 8:15, I got lax about it. I would like to leave to do my workout right after the bus goes, and that means having morning chores done. We'll see.

So, chicken is thawing, laundry is drying, chores are done, eggs are boiled for my lunch later, and I am packed and heading out the door. In 3 hours, I hope to be back here, writing and working on the house. There's a poetry reading I want to attend tonight.
#125 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM

We're a no shoe house here too, but I do not have chickens only a little one.

For the vinegar - this is my first time making it, so I'm crossing my fingers it works. Essentially I poured 100ml Braggs ACV (unfiltered) into my qt. mason jar, added my leftover wine (it was about a cup each) (I had a little red & a little white), covered with cheesecloth & put on the rim so it could breathe and ferment proper without any little critters getting into it.

The jars are currently in my upstairs pantry to ensure even temps. I'll let you know if 3 months if it worked or if I just have sour grapes on my hands (hahahahahaha!)

I didn't get any cooking done this weekend, but I'm trying to rally myself for this new year and get back to running, with my yoga for some much needed release & balance.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#126 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM

We don't drink wine (and if I did I wouldn't have leftovers ) so I'll have to keep buying my vinegar. I am now applying vinegar to my kids' head twice daily. Yep, still fighting the stoopid ringworm. But I do brew kombucha, love it, and have successfully sent scoby to friends. Just saying.

I feel so good when I exercise hard. I feel like I can do anything! So I'd better get down to doing something! Going to clean up the house a little, do laundry, write and have coffee in about an hour and a half. I know it is so selfish to be so happy school is in, but I can barely contain myself.
#127 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Good questions earthnut. You really got me thinking.
For me being a homemaker means attending to the majority of the cooking, cleaning, childcare, laundry etc- but doing so in an intentional systematic way. Making an art of things others might see as drudgery. I really like the idea of practicing everything- being present in the moment and giving your full intention and best effort to the task at hand. When I am able to achieve this state, I enjoy everything, even cleaning the toilet. Of course there are lots of times when I am far from this enlightened state, but it is where I aspire to be.
I grew up poor, so we made things from scratch, on the cheap, out of necessity. At the time, I didn't fully appreciate the effort my mother put in to all the little things. To be honest, I resented our lowly station and all the "stuff" we were "deprived" of (eating out, new clothes, trendy toys, etc). In reality, we were so lucky to have such a resourceful mom. She made our dolls and their clothes and furniture, halloween costumes, birthday and holiday cakes and decorations, clothes... She makes an art of upcycling, repurposing, and dumpster diving. Yardsales and thriftstores delight her. She has a real flair for pulling a miracle out at the 11th hour.
Now that I'm a sahm, I find that much of the traditional homemaking duties &/or skills are second nature to me. I learned a lot from my mom that goes beyond the skills- there's an spirit of adventure in homemaking.
The second-class drudgery that many people project onto homemaking is a sad misconception. There's so much triumph and joy to be had in it! A seed I planted grew! My pie crust was flaky! I invented a recipe! I found an awesome bargain! I fixed the computer printer with a swiss army knife and scotch tape! Everything in this salad came from our garden! And on and on.
Then there's a satisfaction in enjoying the fruits of your labor: the feeling of crawling into a bed made with clean sheets, the taste of zucchini bread fresh from the oven, the warmth of custom mittens you made to match your coat, knowing just where you stored that orphaned button you knew would come in handy some day.
There's the security in knowing you can whip up a delicious meal in a pinch, speed clean before company arrives, live well for weeks off the food stores in your pantry and freezer, mend you favorite skirt, or entertain children for hours on end with simple materials on hand.
And there's a serenity too. On days when no one makes it out of their pajamas, the floor is littered with toys, and dinner is a cold bowl of leftovers from the fridge, I can hear my mom saying, "it's not the end of the world, you did your best and that's all you can do."

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#128 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

angelique, beautifully said x

we are no-shoe too, though it is much harder to convince folks in england than in canada, where that's pretty standard. i wonder why? now our floors are done i will simply cry new floors, and if they look unconvinced i will point out that my children regularly eat food dropped on the floor, so please

ijooj, i have a moment of jealousy about having the house to yourself oh well, someday i'm sure they'll take more classes *together* and go to friends' houses more often, without me. at the moment their friends mothers are my friends, so i get social time along with them

we've been sleeping in since new year's, so i haven't been squeaking yoga in before friends come over! off to do that now..

#129 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 PM

I agree - very well said Angelique!

As I read it though - I find myself coming back to the question - what does it mean to be a homemaker. I consider myself a homemaker, but I have a f/t outside of the home job. Can I label myself a homemaker as my intent lies in providing my family with a warm, cozy home or does society not let me because of the fact I have a f/t career, so I am only stuck in category of WOHM?

not to hijack at all... just musing of thoughts rolling around in my head.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#130 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

ktg, i think you get the magic word *and*. i am an artist *and* homemaker. i don't think anyone is just one thing, though homemaker may be so many things!

on the other hand, i'm not sure the label is important, at any rate...i'd rather say that i like to make things, animations and socks and preserves and gardens and ceramics and logos. i can get very confused about myself when i say i am an artist, for how do i then define that? am i being an artist when i knit a mitten? what about when i'm making a website? does making a beautiful dinner for friends and family mean that i'm neglecting my artwork? what about cleaning the toilet with vinegar? when i'm working on my animation project is that of more value than when i help my little girls learn to sew? at this point, i am myself, and there are things i love to do, and i'm always learning more...and as this thread can hold so much, i see that much of what i love to do is in the traditional homemaking mode..so here we are!

#131 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM

I know that when my mom was most active working at making the home a place like you describe, she was also WOHM (in addition to FT farming for profit).

In my case, I don't know if it's my own nature or the nature of the work I do, but when I WOH, I do a lousy job here. It's embarrassing, but it's the truth. And when I am focused on making things clean and neat and nice and delicious and yummy smelling here, it matters little how much $$ we have, as long as our necessities are covered. I have definitely noticed we are all much more relaxed and well-seeming. When I WOH, I turn into a nervous wreck trying to manage the inside and the outside. It's my issue, and then it becomes a family problem. I'd hope not everyone is the head case I am.
#132 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

i'm that kind of headcase

working at home a bit works for me, though.

#133 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
We're a no-shoe house, too. Both dh and I grew up in no-shoe houses. I was on a dairy farm, and he was in North Africa, where it's normal. I agree that it feels "uncivilized" to leave shoes on, and I get very offended when visitors leave theirs on.
So do I. When we held DD's first birthday party I actually drew up a chalk sign on the wall outside the door saying "shoes" and pointing the the pile of our own shoes. Didn't work though, only one family took theirs off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
we are no-shoe too, though it is much harder to convince folks in england than in canada, where that's pretty standard.
I think we've probably got out English roots to blame that it's so unusual in Australia. I grew up in "shoes on" houses and it wasn't until I was 18 that I met someone who lived in a shoes off house. I remember living with someone at uni a year or two later who had also grown up shoes on and we had this big heart to heart when we moved house, took a deep breath and declared our new space shoes off. It felt so weird but at the same time so good, I guess it was the baby-step beginning of my long journey to home-making Not that I'm saying shoes off is neccessary, just that it works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
When I WOH, I turn into a nervous wreck trying to manage the inside and the outside. It's my issue, and then it becomes a family problem. I'd hope not everyone is the head case I am.
I am. I can't cope with the juggling act and I'm so grateful I don't have to right now.

#134 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM

We used to be a no-shoe family, but when we moved into a house with direct access to the outside, we found it hard to stay no-shoe. This is because of the dogs. Our dogs have taken over the front yard, and we let the out multiple times per day. I have had no luck getting their paws cleaned in between the front door and their crates (they are crated in the house). My socks were getting so dirty that I finally gave up and we started wearing shoes. In addition, we have to entrances to our house (front hall and kitchen, from the garage) and neither is a good place to take off shoes. If we tried harder we could probably do it, but right now I just don't care enough. We have no carpet, so at least it is fairly easy to sweep... not so easy when it is muddy out and the dogs run in!

I'm also a WOHM. I kind of consider myself a homemaker... I wish I were better at it. Luckily for me, my husband does most of the cleaning (he's OCD). I take care of the cooking, laundry, do most of the kid-caring for, etc. I would love to stay at home, but we need both our salaries to cover the basics.
#135 of 324 Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post
Thanks for all the input ladies. I am well into making the decorations. I don't know that I could sell them after all as they are not perfect. But I do hope to pass them onto a local friend or something.
Re-usable decorations are great! I made some fabric penent style banners to use out of muli colored fabric scraps and a big ball of twine. I also have a fabric white table cloth and each yr it is lovely placed on our table for that childs bday, we use a permanent marker and write well wishes and such. Plus usually some time I do a handprint of each yr in fabric paint. Each yr its nice to see how they have grown and one day their table cloth will be filled of memories from all their bdays.
#136 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

those with wood floors: what do you use to clean? i am thinking of bringing a favourite family broom if i can squeeze it in my case...i have a hand-vac for everyday stuff - but what about mopping/wiping? suggestions? anyone know what folks did in the old, pre-swiffer days? a good sponge?

#137 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
those with wood floors: what do you use to clean? i am thinking of bringing a favourite family broom if i can squeeze it in my case...i have a hand-vac for everyday stuff - but what about mopping/wiping? suggestions? anyone know what folks did in the old, pre-swiffer days? a good sponge?

http://www.methodhome.com/all-produc...lmond/612.aspx

i have this mop. its not at all old fashioned but its great. i love it. like..really like it.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#138 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

I hand-and-knee with old diapers and Murphy's Oil Soap. Boring, I know.
#139 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM

I have the same mop as Fern - love it and the almond of the soap/wood cleaner. If that mop is dirty or being washed, its the ole hand & knees with a sponge.

mmmmmmmm

#140 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

x
looks like a cool mop!

#141 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

i guess it isn't for wet-mopping, just dust-mopping, but ooo.

maybe i could make my own by tying lanolised wool pieces to my old mop? how fun to choose your own colours!

#142 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

why yes i *am* avoiding housework.

i'm always looking for alternatives to disposable and very plastic solutions, i thought you might like to see these. this is the toothbrush i'm going to try next. i like that at *least* the head is replaceable. i remember my family having these. i wish the all-wooden toothbrushes were better, mine went black around the bristles, on the wood, which worried me; the bristles fell out (in my mouth!) now and then, and it was too big to brush comfortable! how disappointed was i!

we're currently using these razors - they are gorgeous, and while you spend a lot outright, the cost of the razors is a lot less over time - you're just replacing the blade inside, which is fun (careful!). safer than a straight razor that you'd have to sharpen! i'm so happy not to be throwing out so much garbage and it is an experience to use this thing. old british company.

#143 of 324 Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 PM

So I've had the whole house to myself since noonish and no car to tempt me to go out and be "productive"! And, because of earlier visitors, the house is relatively clean!

Besides watching a movie and eating chocolate fondue (mmm, fondue....), I planted some basil and some peas in seed pots made out of a cut-up wrapping paper tube and made 2 loaves of bread. I hadn't intended to make 2 loaves, but the recipe told me to brush the top with butter just before baking. When I did that, the top completely fell flat and it didn't rise back up in the oven. I hated looking at that flat-topped loaf and didn't want that to be the result of my baking day, so I set out to do the second loaf. It's on its second rise now.... we'll see how things turn out.

Oh, and I knitted 3-4 rows this morning! That's a major accomplishment when you're as slow as I am.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#144 of 324 Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 AM

That was inspiring, Angelique, thanks!

Artparent, I mainly use a good, real corn broom. They're pricey, but so nice. I've used various mops, but if you can't wash the head, mops get so grody. After a few uses, you end up moving around mud, not really cleaning much. I don't want to use the disposable head ones, so I've been shopping for a mop that has washable cloth heads. I've been looking at a sh-mop.

Today, I moved in 6 bags of chicken feed (with hubby's help), and moved out 3 boxes of trash. Yay!

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#145 of 324 Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 AM

Oooh, I had such a good day Not only did I mop the floors this morning on top of my flylady stuff (which is going well) but I made DD a Mei Tai for her baby dolls. I'm so proud of myself

#146 of 324 Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Wow. I finally got my kitchen/dining room clean. It was piled 3 feet high with junk. (I don' think I'm exaggerating.) Mostly tools and construction junk and some random Christmas items. It was so clean that DH actually said "Wow!" when he walked in from work... usually he doesn't notice so much (which is really nice on the days it's messy!) but I guess it's because the change was so drastic.

Now I just need to declutter the corners, make it pretty and take some "after" pics for my blog. I've been meaning to post them for ages!

I've gotten back into my bread baking groove. I made all our bread for a year or more then stopped when I moved in with my parents for over a year. Now we're in our own home, doing what we want and living the dream.

Today might be a sewing day. I have some draft stoppers to make, curtains to sew for the new bathroom and maybe a table runner if I'm ambitious.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#147 of 324 Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
i guess it isn't for wet-mopping, just dust-mopping, but ooo.

maybe i could make my own by tying lanolised wool pieces to my old mop? how fun to choose your own colours!

That mop is beautiful! Too bad it can't just be a work of art for your home. Thanks for all the suggestions to make pizza dough in a bread maker - I used to have one but never used it ever. Time to go hunting for one maybe...

Trying to plan what needs to be done this weekend or really saturday as DH has game night with friends on Friday, and I'm going to be in doula training all day Sunday. We have a fridge packed still from our costco run, and I'm trying to figure out how to store sliced cheese (vacu-seal & wax paper seems to be the best bet...)

My 2nd class for graduate school started today.. ahh the law & bioethics. This one is going to be a doozy, as the most experience I have with the law is .. well none except for my civics classes back in H.S and that was well...awhile ago

We haven't taken our tree down yet... and wont until the end of the month but I'm tempted to start taking down the ornaments and trying to find some cedar branches to decorate our mantel and keep it wintery-festive without overkill. Does anyone else keep their holiday tree up (but not adorned) during January to keep the green in their house?

#148 of 324 Old 01-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Hooray for the cleaning and decluttering Mamas! Now come to my house!
ktg- Who are you doing your doula training with? I'm doing a workshop with ToLabor (formerly ALACE) in March!
We are a shoes off household- our reason being an equal measure of foot health and floor cleanliness. I wear slippers inside and love having cozy feet. Outdoor footwear is too hard hot heavy to wear all the time. In winter I bring slippers to other people's houses too. People appreciate when I take my wet dirty boots off at the door but raise an eyebrow when I pull slippers out of my bag. Oh well.
Question: Do your kids do chores? If so what? I'm interested in how much moms are willing to delegate as well as how much is appropriate for kids to do. DS is still too little for that but he likes "helping" me do things. I want to keep that feeling going! DH's mom never let her 3 boys wash dishes, do laundry, cook, etc (as if they'd destroy appliances or something). They did mow the lawn, rake and such. Still, they grew up without what I consider vital life skills. I taught DH how to wash dishes when we were 23, laundry is still tricky.

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#149 of 324 Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
I have the same mop as Fern - love it and the almond of the soap/wood cleaner. If that mop is dirty or being washed, its the ole hand & knees with a sponge.

mmmmmmmm
the nice thing about this mop is you can have more than one moppy cloth part, or you can whip it off and hand wash it and then off you go. i generally wash it in between a dirty mop and clean mop (i like to do it twice when i actually do it)
i also have the duster cloths that you can get to go with it and they work great.

elisa, the toothbrush link didn't work, but im curious!can you post it again?

you would love the kootenay co-op in nelson.its the grocery store most folks shop at and all of their cleaning products and body stuff is all wooden and natural bristle and eco friendly. i have to make a list and stick to it otherwise im always buy things i want but don't "need"
you should come visit some time

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#150 of 324 Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

We're a shoes off house as well. I hate wearing regular shoes and it always feels so nice to take them off and put on my cozy slippers after running around all day. I always take my shoes off at other people's homes as well. To me it's just rude not to.

I try to get my kids to do chores but that seems to be a chore in itself. My girls are now in charge of cleaning their own bathroom. I figure it's a good place to start because if they don't do it and gets disgusting, I don't have to look at it (they have a half bath in their bedroom). Eventually my oldest will get disgusted enough that she will clean it. My girls are also in charge of unloading the dishwasher and that's still a work in progress. They usually abandon it half way through claiming they don't know where things go. My older girls are 7 and 9.

The boys are 4 and 5 (closer to 6 than 5) and right now they don't do much. I do expect them to pick up after themselves and we do what's called "10 minute tidy" a few times a day. When the house gets too messy they all have to stop what they are doing and do a quick tidy up to get the house back in order. Then they can resume their activities. If they don't complain and dawdle it takes less than 10 minutes. Next, I'm going to teach my boys how to make their beds. That should be interesting.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page