traditional homemaking: a homemade winter! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 324 Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pleased to say the lentil soup is really, really good.

Today is the first "real" day in the new plan. Kids are fed, lunches packed, my work bag is packed. I'll get them on the bus, feed and water animals, pack my gym bag and drive into town, work out, clean up and change at the Y, go to my meeting (I hope they feed me but am afraid of what they might order in), spend a little more time taking care of some business there (laptop issues), and then return home and get dinner on.

Kids and I can work on homework/work while dinner cooks, and dh can do evening chores...it will take consistency to do this, but we can do it!

Of course, dd is already resisting instead of engaging...
#182 of 324 Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM

1jooj- Do you know how you hold your knitting needles? I ask because my mom is a knit fanatic and she learned "English" and knit that way for 50 years. Her arthritis bugged her a lot. Along the way she had seen someone knitting really fast holding the needles differently. She told my mom it's called "Continental." As a creature of habit, my mom got very frustrated trying to learn a new way to do something she had done for so long and stuck with "English" until her hands got really bad and she was afraid she'd have to quit knitting. She forced herself to do a project "Continental" only and she loves it. She says it's so much easier on her hands and the pieces go much quicker.
artparent- That star pattern is pretty easy. Do you know the basic crochet stitches?
Welcome zoebird. All those new things add up and then after a few years you look back and realize "I'm living the dream!"

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#183 of 324 Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

angelique, i know the stitches but not to read them!

i keep hearing about continental, and my friend was telling me that she was watching a youtube video which suggests that it is best to learn *both* and switch between them, to avoid repetitive stress injuries! so i am finally convinced and i'm going to see about learning continental next. the fact that it will be faster will be a bonus

#184 of 324 Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM

joining in with you ladies

I recently learned how to knit and have moved from scarves to my first sweater project. I am thrilled with that but will be need to wait til the summer (and a visit to my knitting aunt) to find out how to seam it.

I am also working hard at developing a house cleaning plan to keep things running smoothly here (a messy house seems to just sap my energy, making me lethargic and not willing to clean, dragging me into a vicious cycle).

My other short term goal is to start making the older boys' lunches again (I have gotten lazy about letting them buy at school).

Glad to be joining
#185 of 324 Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 PM

I love those crocheted stars!!! I think that will be the lovely little project that will finally push me to learn how to crochet. I've been knitting basic items for a couple years now, time to expand.

We're working on our living room and I can't wait for it to be finished! We had a 10x20' living room, divided it in half to put the bathroom in one end. The bathroom side is pretty much done, so now it's time to work on the living room. (Just one wall) The first coat of plaster is drying as we speak. Hope to do all the sanding, plastering, painting by the weekend or something. By the end of the weekend? Well, asap!

After that, most of the first floor will be finished and I can really work my magic making it into a cozy living space. I want it to be very Soulemama.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#186 of 324 Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 PM

I have to admit that learning Continental sounds like a great idea, but will have to wait until a lull between work projects. A friend told me a similar story about her mother, only I think it was Portuguese? Anyway, it's becoming clear that I came into a moment of challenge at work. Things should slow down later this week and I'll be ready to look at home stuff. I feel very lucky to not have to be there at 830a until 5p, but I am not entirely used to pushing so hard through the day. I look forward to the pause later this week.

Meantime, my homemaking skills have so quickly devolved that we're actually out of milk. I hope to get a chance to get groceries one of these days, but I admit to prioritizing my workouts over groceries right now. We have a well-stocked pantry and could probably go weeks getting just milk if we had to.

My yarn store sent me a $15 coupon.
#187 of 324 Old 01-12-2010, 09:04 PM

artparent- I could translate the abbreviations into a narrative for you if that helps but you'd need to know the stitches: chain, slip stitch, double crochet, half-double crochet, and treble crochet.
1jooj- It sounds really tricky balancing work and home. When I'm gone all day for midwifery classes (2-4 days a month) it takes me two days afterward to catch up. You must be great at your job for your boss to be really flexible. I hope it works out for you.
Welcome Softmama. A messy environment sucks the life out of me too.

#188 of 324 Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 PM

elisa, i saw one of my knitter mama friends today at the school for a course on art with children and she was knitting away on something and then went on to tell me about the amazing piles of yarn that she got in the city while there over christmas. turns out it was at dressew. small world OH, i wish i was closer, it was beautiful yarn she was knitting up.

im feeling low. maybe fighting something, probably just worn out. its grey, dark, wet, slippery and BLAH outside. our fridge is bare and my kids seem to be always hungry these days. i made bread today so at least we have that, but some days i just have no idea what to feel them. tonight is going to be breakfast for supper. they love pancakes and i dont have much else right now (thank goodness for freshly ground grains!). i get some raw milk tomorrow for the first time in a while, and we have black turtle beans soaking for tomorrow. i need to plan ahead more, but i would rather just nap. i havn't sent my son to school for a few days because he is pretty unkeen on it and i dont have the heart to force him. his reading skills are really getting better, so we do reading practice and he is always doing art. i wish, wish, wish it was closer to the end of the school year..i am 100% no doubt about it home-schooling next year.

can i hibernate for the rest of winter?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#189 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

thanks angelique - i know most of those and can look up to check! if you have time and energy to translate for me, that would be amazing!

fern - so funny you encountered dressew knitters again! it is a very small world. i've been struggling with feeling really, really low too. i'm looking at different issues - hormones, iron levels, thyroid, mental stuff. i'm going to get my iron tested next week. i'm finding it is cyclical, and i'd really like to stabilise! something my therapist was talking about today was making sure to get enough physicality in your life that expresses in a safe way all of those aggressive emotions that mamas in particular tend to keep boxed up...so finding a way to do some very aggressive activity in a constructive way. actually, children, daddies...all good for all of them. today i ripped the paper into pieces before adding it to recycling/composting...i chopped the compost peelings up, and instead of grating the cheese i gave it a solid round of mincing. my girls had lots of ideas too - tap dancing, cutting things with scissors, doing some woodworking, pruning, using a wooden spoon when you're baking, crushing garlic, singing really loud, slamming the wet laundry into the dryer....we don't usually play tennis but we like pillow fights, soccer, etc. in fact pillow fights are an evening routine around here i think the idea is that a lot of energy can be going into keeping those dark emotions down, but you just need the action to help release the emotions.

you can also take your waking temperature each morning to see if you may have thyroid issues. my naturopath said, i think it was...iron needs to be between 80 to 100 to support your thyroid. many, many women are iron deficient.

i've been dragging around a lot myself. wet, dark january is very hard for me.

fern, can you not homeschool right now?

welcome, softmama. most definitely i am also dragged down when things are a mess around here, it really pulls me further into chaos. i have a few rescue mechanisms, but when i am suffering fatigue it can be hard to draw on those. at that point i need to invite friends over and clean for them.

heather wow, that sounds exciting!

ijooj, i would be exhausted and certainly out of milk!! good luck!

i have been pouring over chicken coops and fountain pens instead of living in the present. however i have just, for the first time in my life, gotten all of my guitar music organised, and because my little one loves it i have been playing guitar each evening for days now, i'm very happy about that. today i managed to get the house cleaned up and it feels better around here.

my next thing to pour over is a mexican outdoor fireplace i'd like to be able to use some of our waste to cook food and contribute ash to the garden's fertility..

#190 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 AM

Dark winter can be hard on the mood!

I've been keeping up with a clean living room and kitchen for 3 days now! woot! (Now I need to clear out the junk piles from the bedrooms...)

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#191 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM

I was feeling down for a while until finally the sun came out. I knew there was something missing in my life! The skies had been overcast for a week without a sunbeam in sight. It really makes a difference. The sun is shining now and it just lights up our home.

Way to go Earthnut! It's great when we're able to stay on top of things!

Wanted to share this recipe. I remember being poor with no food in the cupboard and whipping it up for a treat. Smells divine and adds something special without using too many fancy ingredients. Put in whatever herbs you have and it tastes good without the parm or mozzarella too.

I've decided to change my grocery shopping habits. I used to shop every week/every other week but now I think I'll stretch it to every 3 weeks. I've been cooking more from scratch and loving it. DH has been sent to work with a lunch every day this year.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#192 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM

I haven't been keeping up much in the past week. I've been feeling so lousy. I've had that "I'm going to get sick" feeling for a week now. Headachey, scratchy throat and exhausted. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop... The kids are home from school for the second day in a row. Oldest dd has had a fever for two days and I just don't feel like taking the other two down to school. Blah.

I did manage to get caught up on the laundry. I just need to finish folding the two loads of towels I did yesterday. We finallly got to go to Costco on Monday (we haven't been in nearly a year even though it's just 20 minutes from us!). I had to borrow money from my mom to go but we were out of almost everything and it's way more expensive to buy the small versions at the grocery store. It's nice to have a stocked up pantry again.

We're still waiting to here if dh is going to get another extension for his disability through his union. I hope they make the decision soon because we're now way behind on bills because we haven't had a cheque since before Christmas. He finally goes for an MRI on his knee this week and I'm hoping they can get the ball rolling on repairing it soon. He also starts a new treatment therapy on his back this month. I desperately need/want him to get better and go back to work so we can get our lives back in order. I've been suffering from a lot of migraines lately due to stress.

Now that the holiday season is over I'm itching for spring to come. I'm totally done with winter. I can't wait to get out there and start work on our vege garden and I'm planning a herb garden in the back portion of the yard that doesn't get used. We had to put in a second fence 6 feet from the fence that separates us from the neighbours behind us. Long story short, they are both jerks and were harassing us and the dog over the fence so we had to put in the second fence to keep them away from us and so we could enjoy our yard. Now we have 6 feet of "no man's land" back there on a slope. I figure I might as well put it to good use.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#193 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

well, right now, my primary homemaking activities involve scheduling everything!

i'm scheduling all of our tie-loose-ends-before-moving appts; i'm organizing our time with family and friends; and i'm organizing housing for when we hit the ground.

it's actually quite exhausting.
#194 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM

just checking in quickly. Life is right now. Fern - Thanks for letting me know the link didn't work. Picasa as a picture host is ... difficult with these forums.

This weekend was all hustle & bustle but I did score 3 cast iron skillets (8, 10 1/2, & 11 1/2) which all need some love to bring them back to life, but it will be nice to start scooting all my teflon pans out of the kitchen with their nasty & apparent toxic chemicals. I still need to find a couple of nice enamel dutch ovens (different sizes) & stock pots.

Work is kicking my.... and homelife is become more cluttered and less focused since it feels like zero time there. DH has been great in finishing random projects we've started, like hanging curtains in some of our doorways (up & down stairs & our front door) to manage heat a bit better, and taking more dinners.

Next up is decluttering - which he is excited about since we have a lot of stuff.. everywhere!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#195 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

heather, only a week of no sun must move to where you live.

(((mamas))) january can be rough. sunflower, that sounds really, really stressful. i can understand being exhausted. the thing that keeps me going in times like that is imagining what i really want, as vividly as possible - imagining my partner healthy, imagining myself full of energy, imagining the garden overflowing with bounty. herbal garden sounds delightful.

i definitely have more energy when the sky clears.

are you taking your high vit d (naturally occurring!) cod liver oil?

#196 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM

mamafern, I hear you on the hibernating. I find that when I have committments outside of the house, it helps keep me moving inside too.

artparent, I will pm it to you when I get a chance.

I meant to tell you ladies- last week we got a free washing machine! woot! I am loving it, drying everything on a rack, doing a load each day, no huge pile to lug to the laundromat! It's funny because DH has been working on a prevailing wage project where he makes much more than his usual pay. Then, last week, he got called away from that project to do an emergency fire & water damage job (the regular guy was in the hospital) where he'd make much less money... but he ended up bringing home the washer, a standup freezer, a stereo, 2 office chairs, some books, CDs... The other guys he worked with got TVs, DVD players, lots of expensive stuff. The homeowners were throwing everything away so they could start fresh, even though most of it just needed to be wiped off. I guess they have good insurance. Bonus!

#197 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 PM

just throwing in my two cents about knitting - I learned in Finland 25 years ago, and apparently, I knit continental style and do a Norwegian purl. I watch people knit "English," and it looks so insane! In September, I taught my mom how to continental knit! If you can crochet, it's really easy to learn. I'm hesitant for my kids to learn how to knit from someone else because I really want them to knit the "same way" as I do ... so I can help them better ... but up til now, I haven't had the patience to teach them knitting. I'm teaching DD10 how to make granny squares right now. (she learned to crochet about 7) DD5 can do chains pretty well.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#198 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Woot Angelique to the washing machine!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#199 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
heather, only a week of no sun must move to where you live.

(((mamas))) january can be rough. sunflower, that sounds really, really stressful. i can understand being exhausted. the thing that keeps me going in times like that is imagining what i really want, as vividly as possible - imagining my partner healthy, imagining myself full of energy, imagining the garden overflowing with bounty. herbal garden sounds delightful.

i definitely have more energy when the sky clears.

are you taking your high vit d (naturally occurring!) cod liver oil?

I do find that visualizing all the great things to come is helping a bit. I just keep telling myself that this isn't going to last forever. It's just a temporary blip in our lives and we'll all be happy and healthy again very soon. I'm really looking forward to my new garden. I've never had one before, except for a few tomato plants in pots, and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I don't take cod liver oil because I can't stand the stuff and I have a pretty bad gag reflex. If I don't like it, it's not going down. I have been taking vit D tablets though because I figure it's better than nothing. I'm a summer person though. I hate the cold rainy season with a passion and it does get me down.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#200 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Speaking of a garden, I should order some veggie seeds. There are some local tomato varieties I want to try this year.

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#201 of 324 Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM

I have finally gotten the gingerbread mix I got for christmas out of the freezer and have it all mixed up and in the oven. The boys are used to quick breads and muffins as part of breakfast and recently I haven't gotten any made. So this makes up two nice loaves and they'll have that in the morning.
The baked ziti for tonight is cooking also and I have the bananas from the freezer out defrosting so I can make some banana bread tonight after the boys go to bed (I usually make several loaves and keep them in the freezer).
It feels good to be doing again! I have spent the last few weeks taking it easy because I sprained my back. It's nice to be up and about
#202 of 324 Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

oo, we have had a sweet morning..we started embroidery yesterday, the little one i made a card with hearts, the older one a hoop with pencil dot hearts to follow. she's trying out different stitches. we looked up a youtube of french knots and they are so darling, i just want to do that all day now! her work is very sweet on the front, just working out how to clean up the back. i love it. then my little one decided to make a book, had cut little papers and folded them, wrote her letters on them, and wanted to tape it, so i showed her how to sew it up, she chose origami patterns for end papers, and we glue sticked them to the end pages and the card cover. she found a sticker for the front and had her sister write out for her the title she wanted. so very cute!!

now a busy day with friends over, art openings and knitting circles. just the way i like it!

i've been looking at continental knitting on youtube. to be honest, i don't believe 'throwing' is exactly how i knit -perhaps it is an english variation? but i will learn continental anyway. also a very cute 'bobble' tutorial, i LOVE those, i'm planning to make something like that for the girls - maybe bobbly leg warmers!! and of course we want to embroider everything.

so much fun.

#203 of 324 Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM

I really do love reading all of your trials and triumphs!
earthnut got me thinking about garden planning! We're house shopping, so I really hope we can sign papers and move in time to get veggies in. Around here the last frost isn't until Memorial Day, so I think we'll be able to do it.

#204 of 324 Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 AM

I have not been able to keep in touch as hoped and that bums me out. I didn't realize my business would get so busy right at the new year. But I'm not complaining.
Things are finally back to normal. Now life is about staying warm (we are having a major cold spell by Mississippi terms) and getting creative to keep the kids amused. I have to say that I actually enjoy the challenge of keeping my children amused and having fun and learning when we are stuck inside. Last week my son wanted a rocket ship to play in so I bought a wardrobe box and made him one. Then he needed a space helmet and I made one out of taking saran wrap, putting packing tape over it to make it stiff and taping it to his bike helmet. He wore it all day long for two days straight and the rocket ship is still in use.

This morning, in a little bit, I'll be making a couple of loaves of banana bread from bananas I've been saving. Does anyone else get a lot of pleasure out of being able to make something out of food that could have just gone rotten? For some reason I find this very rewarding!

Also, I have finally gotten to use my new bread machine I got for Christmas. It makes huge loaves compared to my old one I got on Freecycle. I've made honey pecan wheat bread and it's really delish.

It's the little things that make me happy Have a great weekend everyone!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#205 of 324 Old 01-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Me, too, on the little things. I got home yesterday and cooked up a storm, making a beef stew dinner for the family and a chicken, white bean and green chile chili, and then baked 14 round loaves of bread for the week ahead. Dh did barn chores so I could get it done, and that felt good.

Hoping to enjoy home over the weekend.
#206 of 324 Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

wow, that is some serious baking!

my tall one finished her 4 hearts of embroidery, they are so pretty. she can't decide how to use the piece so we may just hang the hoop as art for a little while. i could make french knots all day long, they are such a pleasure.

it finally ! stopped raining here so we took my sister outside and all the sisters did some skipping. we love the rhymes and my tall one is finding predictive rhymes completely enthralling, particularly the romantic type...the alphabet..her skipping is improving all the time and so is the little one. my tall one and i both figured out how to run in, what a great accomplishment speaking of little things!! great to get some fresh air.

i feel like *small holding* of a very small sort is quite possibly in my foggy, far away future. is anyone else (aside from you folks who quite easily are juggling a farm right this moment!!) thinking about this?

i thought you might enjoy this transformation - scroll down for the play kitchen. if i had a lot of room and my children were younger i might have done something like this. at the moment my *actual* kitchen is more functional for them. but isn't it cute?

#207 of 324 Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Easily?! Oh, artparent... We're mucking out pens this afternoon. A friend came and picked up the kids yesterday for a sleepover so we got started on it, and today, I'll be going to the Y, then picking up the kids, and dh will get right to work on pitching. It's really, really heavy work, and he has the upper body strength. But I picked up a lot of extra lime when I got the feed yesterday, so we'll set it up nice and keep the doors open at night for the next week (January thaw ), and then we have another half of winter to get through before kidding and lambing season. We have two big manure piles ripening for May.
#208 of 324 Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 AM

That kitchen is adorable!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#209 of 324 Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM

artparent- that kitchen it great. I've been thinking of a little kitchen for DS. Sometimes I need to be reminded that those type of projects can be done.
1jooj- you have my sympathies, animal husbandry in the winter is such hard work.

It's been a good traditional week. I mended 3 pairs of DH's work pants, made dinner from scratch each night, froze leftovers for quick dinners, mopped, dusted, vacuumed, did laundry almost every day (I love the new machine), kept the kitchen pleasant, did the grocery shopping, filed our taxes, played inside and outside with DS, walked to the library and post office, and found time to crochet (I had to try one of those little stars) and draw!!! I think I'll let DH take us out for dinner tonight.
So, I'm wondering- who does the finances in your households? And, what kind of system do you have?

#210 of 324 Old 01-16-2010, 04:53 PM

That kitchen is adorable!

Well the weather here is nice (for winter) and apparently I've gotten DH hooked on MDC. He was surfing through posts & threads when I left it up and noted somthing for him to look at. He's a flutter to declutter.

In other news - its DS2 (Sam) 1st birthday today and we are all pitching in and making some simple decorations (paper chains & flags) for the walls and putting up our homemade (paper) birthday sign. Its fun for everyone and Jack (DS1) is learning how to use scissors and making confetti for us with the scraps (or whole) pieces of construction paper we have leftover.

Angelique - DH manages our finances in general (there are spreadsheets, numerous accounts and etc. involved), but I handle the taxes for us. I've been doing since forever and a song. Its a nice division of labor between the 2 of us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page