traditional homemaking: a homemade winter! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 324 Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your ferritin is low and you're eating a reasonable amount of iron rich foods, you might want to look into gut damage - iirc, ferritin is stored in the gut lining, and so higher turnover would lead to iron loss. I've never had my ferritin checked, but I have *good* hemoglobin levels for the first time ever, since being on an allergy elimination diet for dd.

I made a liver pate before without the food processor - lamb liver plus lots of onions and mushrooms. I can't say I'm a total convert yet, but it's definitely edible

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#242 of 324 Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Iron: also lentils. I make chicken liver pate by sauteing w onions in butter, then I add a little mustard, S&P and process. Before I got my blender (which has a processor blade), I used a hand-crank gadget with blades. You could look at rustic pate recipes.
#243 of 324 Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Just checking in.
Went to visit my side of the family this weekend. It was the first time all of us have been in one place in... 3yrs? It was nice but hectic.
I hosted a Birth Circle last week! I brought my specialty- zucchini bread.
Crocheted 2 scarves this last week.
Two days of catching up after the weekend away. Still loving my washing machine. Three loads in 2 days. Made a big pot of lentil veggie soup for DH's lunches. Made stew in the crockpot. We had a big salad, cashew quinoa and sauteed swiss chard tonight.
I've been mall walking with my MIL a couple of times a week. It's tedious, but she likes the time with DS.
We've been looking around at houses. It's so exciting! It feels unreal. Oh, the garden we will have!
I want to be musical too. and travel. and decorate my bathroom. and recycle wool sweaters. and knit... You ladies ROCK!!!

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#244 of 324 Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 PM

My mum used to make chicken liver pate every christmas as a child I've been wanting to try. Post if you find a good recipe

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#245 of 324 Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM

subbing for all these awesome ideas!

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#246 of 324 Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM

So...the beer is fermenting, and we already ate all the bread I made with the spent grains. It was tasty! Garden is on hold for another week or so.
My parents are coming for a visit (today!) so that is a great impetus for some quick cleaning/organinizing/panicking about my house. And I have been re-inspired to knit! Just cast on for a spring vest for my daughter, and need to come up with gifts for 3 babies due in March. I love knitting for new babies!

And I haven't picked up my mandolin; there's always tomorrow right?

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#247 of 324 Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

see you again from england, off to prepare everything and pack up my stash of yarn!

#248 of 324 Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Safe trip artparent!

#249 of 324 Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 PM

I made another pair of sweater pants !!!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#250 of 324 Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

those sweater pants are super cute!

#251 of 324 Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

hi mamas. back in england, terrifically jetlagged. our space is so much brighter with the refinished floors, suddenly all worth it. we are ever so slowly restoring order here. it is going to take some time.

how is everyone feeling, mid-winter? projects on the go? or just getting regular things done?

#252 of 324 Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

between bizarre hours of sleep i've managed to get things done. i love reorganising these things i've been waiting so long to do. my gigantic yarn stash is laid out (that $2/skein sale was very productive for me ) as well as my fabric stash + sewing tools. we've turned our bed and i may have found a little used side table for one side, i hope so. i've created a clothing closet for my girls, two ikea hanging shelves, and folded away all of their clothes. i put an over-door row of hooks for a few dressed on hangers, belts..and hung a large pink bag, so that it is low enough for them to reach to throw laundry in. i've rearranged the upstairs closet so that i have guest bedding + pillows up high, a couple of shelves for my love, one for me + overdoor hooks for long pieces, and a shelf for towels + bed linens, and the iron, then on the floor a couple of sturdy bags for each of our socks, with extra bathroom supplies behind. so great to have a place for linens! we just got our beautiful music stand, so that is exciting, we can start violin next week and have a spot devoted to it. i've managed to unpack and put away nearly everything, hurrah! there's lots of furniture to put back, after the renovation, and some dusting despite having a cleaner through, but i have our table set up now and chairs round, and lamps...i have the compost and the cloth wipe buckets set up now, though i need to sort out where we'll put recycling before it goes out to the boxes. this is just a bitty place! there are still a million details to sort out before this place is running really well..we're getting the girls beds set up next weekend. everyone is very excited to have a children's room instead of a studio - for now we'll park the studio in little nook under the stairs..they are open, so i'm thinking about putting up some muslin just below that area to keep the dust off. i need to make a lamp shade for the girls room, and i hope to get started on making quilts soon. lots of fun! i'm hoping to have things running smoothly soon. these floors are a joy, i'm enjoying the light, and how easy they are to clean now.

the cold spell seems to have lifted a bit, but i really need to get some winterizing supplies for this draughty old thing. any tips?!

once there's some order in the house i'd love to get back into knitting projects.

there's garlic coming up in the garden i need to get started on the lasagna type layering to develop the soil.

now if we could just sleep through the night

what are you working on?

#253 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

oh no! have i lost you to february bleak and chilly? to too much work and early to bed? come back!

we have adjusted to the time, and we're slowly piecing our home back together. there's more to do, but we have a children's bedroom now. not that they sleep in it much hopefully also just a short adjustment. i'm enjoying simple + accurate solutions to things: my reading lamp on an old table i found on ebay is making me so happy, to sit in bed and read + write + knit. our music stand is elegant in the corner and has made my playing SO much more focused. we had a mishap with the children's room, a combination of the wrong size truckle, wrong size mattress, . it couldn't get more wrong. but it should be sorted soon!

i've knitted a glove this week, slowly between being very busy designing logos for my partner, putting the place in order, and getting back into classes.

what are you all into? tell me go on, just a little bit

#254 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM

I'm here artparent!
I bought some zebra stripped fabric and adhered it with starch to ds wall (he has a jungle themed room) and it looks so cute! I have enough left over to make a little curtain for his lower bunk so that it will be "like a fort" when he pulls it closed. Just have to go get a curtain rod for that.
I have started an embroidered christmas stocking. I used to do counted cross stitch and had done stockings for me and dh before kids, but just couldn't get back into it for the boys. But oldest ds asked this past christmas if he could have one (the boys all have nice store bought plain ones). So I have decided to make three and not give anybody one until all three are done. I chose embroidery because it takes a little less concentration on my part than counted cross stitch (which I ALWAYS count wrong and then have to fix). So far it is going smoothly!
I have the challenge of eating out of the pantry the last few days due to a massive amount of snow (24" is unheard of here) and am proud of how creative and great the dinners have been
#255 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

that's a lot of snow - it is snowing here in london right now, not sticking though. i am really loving embroidery, i have some napkins to do next.

i'd love to help my girls make friendship bracelets, i used to love that! we just bound up a couple of signatures and they are writing + illustrating. very cute to see my 4 year old's writing, she has me write dots for the letters she isn't sure about, to trace, and has that gorgeous E with 13 horizontal strokes.

livingroom dancing.

#256 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM

I'm lurking It's not chilly here but it is bleak. It's been raining solidly for two weeks. We've had um, about 700mm in two weeks. Which is ridiculous even for up here in the mountains. Australia is supposed to be you know, drought land. Our poor chickens are sick to death of it. They give us this sad look every time we go outside that says all they want to do is have a dust bath but all their lovely dusty bits have long since passed mud and become deep deep puddles.
So we've been stuck inside. A lot. DH has been more the traditional home-maker lately. He made cheese yesterday. It's yummy but it has to mature for a month now. Then he made ricotta from the whey
All I've managed is finishing a scarf/cowl thingy for DD.

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#257 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM

I'm home with a sick child (and something of a tummyache myself), so anything can happen...maybe I'll get nervy and cast on for something. Dd has hands that always want to be working, so we'll just wait and see.

I used to love making friendship bracelets...

Softmama, that sounds like a wonderful bedroom. My dd wants a tent for her bed...she has a full size bed, and we are frugal types, so this could be a building project. Of course, by the time we get it done, she'll have outgrown the idea.

I baked our bread for the week last night, and the chickens are laying like CRAZY!! So I am squeezing in what I can between work projects. It's been busy and I am looking forward to a bit of a break in a week or so.

Also have learned that dh will be gone the entire month of May, so I will be struggling to get the garden in. I just want to show him I care and can do it... So I am making plans now, have to buy seeds and get going.
#258 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 AM

1jooj- if you do the tent let me know! My two little ones share a queen sized bed and I was thinking of making them some sort of tent over it. But I was thinking more of those hanging things (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...5/product.html) which I was hoping to make with a medium wire wreath and a bunch of fabric. IF I get anywhere with it , I'll let you know!
#259 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Yes, let me know. I think this will have to be a co-op between me and dh. Maybe a foam wreath, fabrics and glue gun?
#260 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

is it bad that my home-making has mostly been looking for places for us to live? seriously, one needs a home to home-make! LOL

we are staying at the YHA, so i do get to cook for us, and i'm doing laundry right now. I rule! LOL

looks like we found a place and we have another place to look at as well, but i am thinking we will go with this first place. I actually really like it and the location can't be beat.
#261 of 324 Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Subbing so I can find this thread later

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#262 of 324 Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

zoebird, that would be the first step in homemaking of any kind

#263 of 324 Old 02-09-2010, 10:25 AM

Sorry I have been MIA. I was hospitalized last week for pancreatitis that I got from a gallstone lodged in my common bile duct. Apparently they missed it last year, when I had my gallbladder out, because my son was blocking their view.

Now I am home and well, and boy this place is a wreck!! Today I will begin the clean up. I am not going to over-do it, but do my chore for the day and next week I'll be caught up. I also need to do my meal plan for this week so we can go shopping tomorrow. Then I need to get sewing because two of my friends are having baby showers soon! I'm not sure what I will make yet though. I thought of doing little pants with matching shoes and an appliqued onesie, but I'm not sure if I will since the fabric I want to use is flannel. One is due in April and the other is the end of May. Does anyone have any other ideas? Both women are pretty mainstream and it's the first baby for each of them.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#264 of 324 Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

i'm so sorry you were sick! and, i'm so sorry you had so much work to come home to! it's a good thing that you are around to home-make for your family!

we got the first apartment and today we give over the money for it and sign the lease. after we do that, we're buying a bed and linens, as well as fit-out the closet.

Then, i need to outfit the kitchen. I'm probably going to go to a place called Trash Palace. I've heard that a lot of restaurants and such give over their old kitchen wares and dishes and such to the place--so you can get a lot of good things very inexpensively (a friend picked up an iron skillet and a beautiful iron/ceramic stock pot/dutch oven for $5). And of course, storage for the kitchen.

i'm excited that there is a little front garden (i can plant herbs at least!), and it's also close to a little unkept park, so i plan to guerilla garden that space.
#265 of 324 Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Homemaking..

Ok- I have addressed my "office" in favor of a "nursery".. I sold off a globe, a chaise lounge, and art supplies.. I sorted through the closet (that had so many boxes in it from our move last year that the door couldn't close..

I threw away probably 6 bags of garbage (mostly old bills).. donated probably 3 boxes of books and knicknacks.. and am selling off my bookshelves and a few wall pictures..

I repainted the room a light pink and am planning on assembling the baby furniture on Sat!
#266 of 324 Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Hi all!

I am going to join in if you don't mind. I'm Rebecca, mama to 4 little ones ranging in age from almost 6 to our new baby boy who is about 2 months old. I've been "at home" since about halfway through my pregnancy with my first child. Once I got into a good routine with being a SAHM I found I felt really fulfilled and realized that I was more content than I ever had been in my life before. My mom was a homemaker when I was very little but then went back to work when I was 5. I want my kids to grow up with a sense of "home" that I didn't really get to have.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I will fit in here great. I homeschool my oldest (and the almost 4 yo a little when he likes) and we tend to stay home most of the time. My almost 4yo has been immunosuppressed for the past few months due to medication/illness so it has given me a new respect for making our household run well because we've been hibernating most of the time lol.

Let's see what other "homemaker" type things do I do? I'm an avid knitter, I sew when I have time (previously had a diaper sewing business), love cooking & veggie gardening, work on some canning/preserving, and do my best to make our house feel like home. We have slowly been increasing the size of our garden over the past couple years and it has taken over our entire suburban front yard I've gone from knitting just hats and scarves to pretty much anything I can think of. I'd love to get more into sewing again and I've been working really hard on decluttering/simplifying our home. We hope to find a little old farmhouse on acreage eventually, but right now we are trying to find happiness where we are planted

Making a nice roast chicken dinner tonight and then homemade soup tomorrow. Trying to work on finishing a snuggly wool hooded cardigan for the baby and get started on an Easter outfit for my dd. Hoping to sew a new apron and pot holders next week once some fabric arrives

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#267 of 324 Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM

hi ladies! I'm back to pop in. Life has been quite crazy with work mostly, but I have managed to squeeze out preparing about 4qts of the yummiest chicken stock I've ever made. Its nice & golden with a wonderful chicken flavor. MMMMM.

I need to get some sewing supplies (a bobbin case & pinking shears) as I am putting off baking until I am more comfortable in having given up gluten. Baking bread or cookies is just too much temptation, but maybe I'll make some granola & try my hand again at yogurt making this weekend.

Just completed my doula training, and now onto getting my certification. Taxes have been filed and hopefully this weekend I can get some much needed cooking in, to restock our lives and make February a little bit easier

We still have our xmas tree up, and it going to be taken out this weekend. I think I have convinced DH to let us cover it in birdseed and let the critters have at it. Has anyone else done this, as I'm wondering how the birdseed will stick?

Everyone is so busy with projects... its inspiring!

Zoebird - congrats on the apartment & good luck in outfitting your family's new diggs.

Artparent - Glad to hear you & your girls made it back to London safely. I'm jealous of your refinished floors. I would love to have that done soon to our house, as our wonderful floors just have been abused, stapled & covered by the previous owners.

Pinoikoi - whee babies & decluttering. DH & I have to get going on that, but it seems to take forever with our 2 running around

PNCTink - gah! I hope you are feeling better!! Take it easy and let yourself heal

1jooj - I hope you & your kiddo are feeling better. We have sick tummies in the house right now and ugh is the only word coming to mind.

celestialdreamer - Welcome!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#268 of 324 Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

well, today i ordered the bed. i'm disappointed that the whole thing won't be at the apt until mid-march (at the latest). but, the mattress should be there next week, so at least we will have a place to sleep.

my first order of business was to measure the apartment thoroughly. i discovered that the bay window where i wanted to stick the bed is 8 ft wide. a king size bed is about 6 ft wide. so, there will be plenty of space in the bay window! so, i went ahead and ordered a king. DH will be *so* happy (he's at a film thing today).

second order of business, i have to get linens still for the bed. "bed bath and beyond" here is a boutique styled shop. i tend to look for organics, but so far i have to find them elsewhere apparently. i'm going to try the okooko shop (the kind of bed we bought) because they are closing down their concept design shop. they should have a lot of linens still there (apparently). so, we're going to check there for good prices. i tried online already.

the fun activity that i set for myself this afternoon was to measure out the furniture that i'm looking at online (used via "trademe") and see if it would fit. I put a bid in for a table (oval--perfect fit for the bay window in the "lounge"), and a mirror for above the fireplace. it's an old bathroom mirror (3 ft x 3 ft) for $10. it will look nice above the fire place i think.

for kitchen stuff, i'm really just getting the basics. i'm trying to figure out how to get to trash palace on the bus system. LOL i don't know how to drive on the other side of the road and we don't have a car anyway.
#269 of 324 Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm so glad i found this thread again! Great resource.

How would you spend your money to make house if you were on a very, very tight budget. (2 students and our infant son in downtown Toronto, I cant stress how tight that budget will be) For example on linens, furniture, paint (it will be a rental though) dishes and storage(it will be limited)

I have begun to compress my belongings, as well as selling my son's baby items he has outgrown, and dividing clothes to keep, give away or sell to make extra cash. I will be working on a notebook/binder to keep all recipes, including homemade household item recipes, important resource numbers and our budget spreadsheets to save money and find my info faster. Any thing to stay organized, its time for me to become an adult and run my own family household.

I'm new with traditional homemaking, I'm not sure how to be practical while setting up house but still make it a plesant organized home(well, apartment until a down payment is earned and saved!) on a small budget. Who knows though, I could find more great savings while I'm living there. However I could start collecting funds and searching for items now that I'm still at home.

I appreciate your advice in advance.

Shawna young single liquid gold feedin intactlactivist co-sleepin mama to my mixed baby boy Carter Jesse (aug 26th 09)
#270 of 324 Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM

For furniture, I would dumpster dive AND search craigslist.. I have a set of bookshelves on there right now that are a THIRD of their price new.. and I still can't sell them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page