Airing out the house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been doing this in the mornings and was looking around for how it should be done but can't find any info about it. Does anyone know a link or can explain how it used to be done?
#2 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM

We air out our house. We've lived several times in Europe over the years, in flats, that require it in the contract. 10 minutes in the morning, crack the windows open with the heat off (if you have control over it). That's it. Do you live in Paris? Just ask a neighbor.
#3 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM

My mom would just open the front door while she's cleaning in the morning. I still remember her telling us to get on the couch and snuggle under a blanket. Just a crack is enough when it's cold out.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#4 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM

I'm guessing that they do this more in Europe where radiant heat is way more common than forced air - so less air circ. DH's aunt would open the BR window all the way (this was in early spring) and shut the door, and leave it for 10 min or so in the mornings. Not sure what else other people so, but I know that airing the bed/bedding was considered important.
#5 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
We air out our house. We've lived several times in Europe over the years, in flats, that require it in the contract. 10 minutes in the morning, crack the windows open with the heat off (if you have control over it). That's it. Do you live in Paris? Just ask a neighbor.
Paris, Canada
#6 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
Paris, Canada
Close enough. More European than the U.S.

So, yeah, we had these windows that tilted just a crack and that's what we were required to do every day. Each morning, for 10 minutes, each room had to be aired out. And as a pp said, we did have radiant heat in every place we lived in. I got so used to the fresh air that I crack a window quite a few times each day even in the middle of winter. Right now, I'm sitting at my computer and the woodburning stove is raging in the living room, while I have a window very slightly cracked open in the kitchen (then again, I'm cooking NYE supper right now).
#7 of 17 Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Close enough. More European than the U.S.

So, yeah, we had these windows that tilted just a crack and that's what we were required to do every day. Each morning, for 10 minutes, each room had to be aired out. And as a pp said, we did have radiant heat in every place we lived in. I got so used to the fresh air that I crack a window quite a few times each day even in the middle of winter. Right now, I'm sitting at my computer and the woodburning stove is raging in the living room, while I have a window very slightly cracked open in the kitchen (then again, I'm cooking NYE supper right now).
We heat with wood and I usually crack a window in the living room, bedrooms and kitchen all day since otherwise the house air gets too stale since we got new windows and insulation.

I started pulling the bedcovers back and totally opening the window in the bedrooms with the inside door closed for 20 min in the AM to freshen the room.

I alway thought airing out meant to open all the doors and windows for a bit?
#8 of 17 Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We have force air heating I guess, the air circulates. On warm days I open all the windows all the way up while I clean. Only happens every couple weeks ish in winter.
#9 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 AM

I was looking at this for a different reason maybe than some. We live in a house that is 5 years old and I was thinking about the off gassing of it!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#10 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 AM

I had a roommate from South Korea who would open the front and back doors of my house whenever she (or I) vacuumed, even in February (upstate NY). At first, I thought it was odd, (cold!), but I quickly grew to like it.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 07:02 AM

In Greece it is common to open up all the windows in the morning while making the beds and doing a quick cleaning. Also nearly all my neighbours air their bed covers (duvets etc.), pillows and house rags almost daily (I do it only once a week when the cleaner comes in). It is believed that sunshine will kill off any bacteria hanging around, but even when it's cold and cloudy it is considered important to air out the house.
Even if it is raining I'll open up the windows in the morning (and turn the radiators off) and I always leave the bathroom windows open throughout the day.
#12 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM

I grew up with this. I personally *feel* better after the house has been aired out. Like there is more oxygen or something.

I leave the windows/doors open until it feel 'fresh', so usually about 10 minutes. Yes, it gets a bit cold, but all that clean air makes up for it.

Dh totally doesn't get it though and hates it when I do it. Although he does notice he feels better right afterwards too. I keep thinking about those studies showing indoor pollution is greater than outdoor one simply due to the staleness of the air (meaning, people are breathing in & out the same air all.the.time).

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#13 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Interesting thread.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#14 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I alway thought airing out meant to open all the doors and windows for a bit?
The way I do it is room by room, but yes, eventually all the rooms get aired out. Just not all at one time. I suppose there are many ways to skin this cat and whatever works for you is best. And I agree about the air getting stale (actually very DRY) with a stove. I have a cast iron kettle of distilled water I keep on top of my woodburning stove to combat this.
#15 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 PM

I try to open all the windows and doors for as long as I can stand it every day. Today was a touch warmer and we just hung out in the sunniest room while the rest was too cold, lol.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#16 of 17 Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 AM

I throw back the bed covers on the beds for a bit in the am. I open the windows a tiny bit (freezing here) to get some fresh air during the day. My mom routinely aired out the house, especially after someone had been ill, when I was growing up.
#17 of 17 Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM

I've been making a point of airing out the house daily this winter. Last winter, I noticed there was a stale smell to the air all the time. Haven't had that problem this winter. I open the front and back doors and open the screens on the storm doors for awhile. The time varies on how cold it is (if it's -40 out, I only keep them open for a few minutes). We have plastic over our windows so I can't open them.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page