Chip inside enamelware? Is it ok to still eat from? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I splurged and purchased the enamelware pot set from Nova Naturals for my daughter for Christmas. She loves it and wants to eat everything in the small pot.

In less than two weeks though, I noticed there is a chip in the enamelware on the inside of the pot. Does anyone know if it is still safe to use to eat from?

She loves this pot so much and it was so expensive but I want to be safe.

Any information on if it is safe to eat out of enamelware with a chip would be appreciated.

Thanks.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

#2 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM

hmm . . . i will be watching this thread, because it didn't occur to me that it might not be!
#3 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

I always thought enamelware did indeed have lead in it? it may just be certain brands though..

I'd return it personally.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 12:49 PM

I would return it, too! I also have concerns about enamelware containing lead so I don't use it.

IIRC, there is a mama here whose dh works for Le Creuset, so maybe she will have a better idea and be able to shed some light on this. (Not that it is a LC pot, but w/LC being enamelware too...)

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#5 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM

I've gotten rid of old chipped enamelware before b/c my understanding is that it will leach chemicals. I don't know what a new kind would do - it depends what metal is underneath the enamel (enamel is a powdered glass fired on top of the metal and not as problematic as the metal underneath. Say you knew it was cast iron underneath the enamel - that's not toxic, a chip in something like that - I understand - wouldn't be dangerous to eat from. Other metals are covered with the enamel because they aren't as ideal to eat/cook from though).

Being relatively new - I'd try to contact the company and/or try to get it replaced. It might have been chipped already, and if you'd just recently gotten the pan it really shouldn't chip this early anyway.
#6 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I did call NovaNatural and they were so helpful! They replaced it and DD is happy as a clam now.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

#7 of 10 Old 01-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks for bringing this up!
DH has an extensive collection of enamel mugs from various sources and eras. They're quite fun to have on display and we used to just use them for special occasions (sledding parties etc.) but somehow they ended up being our main mugs for everyday use and pretty much all of them have at least one chip in the interior.

Ahhhh now I have an excuse to go and buy the mugs I actually wanted

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#8 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM

we dont eat out of the pots and pans, although they are chipped and dd plays with them, she does love her set of dishes from nova, made byt he same company.

They are made in germany and Im sure do not have a lead glaze or lead paint in them.

THe made in china enamelware that you get at camping stores or whatever might, but I am pretty sure the nova naturals, doesnt.
#9 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukookoo View Post
we dont eat out of the pots and pans, although they are chipped and dd plays with them, she does love her set of dishes from nova, made byt he same company.

They are made in germany and Im sure do not have a lead glaze or lead paint in them.

THe made in china enamelware that you get at camping stores or whatever might, but I am pretty sure the nova naturals, doesnt.
I don't know about the lead issues, but our nova naturals set is made in poland, not germany

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#10 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM

they say made in poland, but i am pretty sure they are made in germany and distributed through poland . Their website is in german and I have a friend who is polish and brings things to the us that are made there and I asked her if she could get this company because I love their stuff being sure that it is a polish company, but she said that they are not, they are brought from germany. Anyway not sure thats all accurate just the info I have. But things made in polland are a high standard too as far as natural materials and non toxics

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page