Any suggestions for getting my towels soft? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In may attempt to become more green, I stopped using commercial softner and am using white vinegar (1/4 cup). I find it great for the clothes, but I can't stand how rough my towels are. I miss the softness and smell. I am getting a new frontloader this weekend. Any suggestions on getting my towels soft again? I can't do floral scents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 PM

Yeah it sucks. You arent supposed to use any fabric softener on your towels because it coats the towel and makes it less absorbent. I haven't used it in on towels, or my cleaning rags in 10 yrs. I have gotten used to it though!

For my clothes I use 7th generation, but I just read they use palm oil and that is a no no. So I will keep on the hunt.
#3 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM

dryer balls. You can make your own by making a wool yarn ball.

hh2.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 AM

i use a half cup to whole cup of salt in the towel wash when i notice them getting really crunchy along with some borax.
but it depends on what is making them crunchy in the first place.
personally, because of the make up of our hard water, dryer balls do nada for our towels.
the salt grabs the minerals and somehow gets them out of the towels? its a mystery and it works for me.
#5 of 11 Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM

If you just switched, you may still have residues that are working themselves out of your towels. I'd wash on hot, with extra rinses a few times and get dryer balls (or use clean tennis balls, or just toss in a clean dry towel when you dry them). Baking soda might help (for the same reasons salt might) so that's another idea that couldn't hurt to try out. Here, we haven't used fabric softener for at least 3-4 years and I haven't found it's affected the softness of our towels, so I don't think you're doomed to uncomfortable towels just for switching.
#6 of 11 Old 01-30-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
Yeah it sucks. You arent supposed to use any fabric softener on your towels because it coats the towel and makes it less absorbent. I haven't used it in on towels, or my cleaning rags in 10 yrs. I have gotten used to it though!

For my clothes I use 7th generation, but I just read they use palm oil and that is a no no. So I will keep on the hunt.
Why is palm oil a no no?
#7 of 11 Old 01-30-2010, 03:56 PM

oh yeah, i forgot to mention. if you just started using vinegar, it usually takes a few weeks to strip out all the minerals from the machine and can cause the towels to be crunchy. make sure you dont stop using the vinegar, it will eventually work on the towels too, once the machine is clean.
#8 of 11 Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 PM

I was going to say dryer balls as well!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#9 of 11 Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Keep using the vinegar. It will work eventually. I used a full cup the first few times to get the washer cleaned out. I've never used fabric softener in our current washer and just fill the fabric softener dispenser with vinegar. I've never measured it for this washer.

I don't use dryer balls or anything else in the dryer. I dry them in the dryer for 30 minutes on the cotton setting, then hang them to dry the rest of the way. Soft, absorbent towels.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#10 of 11 Old 01-31-2010, 02:52 PM

I say time will help. When I first switched from Tide to Charlies soap my clothes smelled funky and were really stiff/scratchy. I was confused and dissapointed everyone has raved about CS. I gave it time now my clothes smell like nothing just clean and everything is unbelievably soft. Better than any fabric softener or drier sheet. I think it just took some time to get all the other detergent out of our clothes. Long story short give your new routine time to work.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#11 of 11 Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM

For towels I use hot water and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pure amonia, with vinegar in the rinse cycle. My towels come out so soft and fluffy. it may take a few washes to get the other soap out but it will work.

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page