Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmedesfemmes View Post
this is me.

my house is fine, but the 2yo is naked. i don't mind if you don't!

christina
Hey, my 2 yo, too.

Someone stopped by last night (but didn't actually come inside, DH just talked to him on the porch, with the front door wide open the whole time) and I kept trying to keep the toddler away from the entryway since he was only wearing a shirt (potty learning). I even attempted to put on a pair of shorts in case he ran by and the guy saw him... but no, he was not having it.

So yeah, if you want to stop by, be prepared for the house to (hopefully) look decent, but the people living here, not so much!!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#62 of 83 Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
i don't have a showplace, i have a home and i have about a thousand things that i think are more important than making sure i never have anything out of place.
Oh, I so love this quote Catubodua!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#63 of 83 Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
At this point there's no way I'd spent 15 minutes cleaning even if I had warning. The house is clean enough. I'm tired.
#64 of 83 Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 AM

meant to reply to this thread when I first saw it and put it off and now had to go read through it all. YES, come on in! People drop in here all the time unannounced and usually they are greeted with the children in the nude and me in my jammies trying to get things in order despite all the current goings on! I ADORE drop in company actually... may do a little tidying while I made you a cup o' tea or coffee but hey, we live here and you didn't call, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
Caveat: depends on the friend. The friend who has "I can't stand a mess" issues and would have to stop herself from calling children's services if a stray cookie is left on the shelf by the baby--because that is unsafe and germy, let's meet out and about.
scary, I think this is a matter of choosing friends. a stray slop by the kitchen table being an issue to them well... I don't think I know any people like this (or at least I sure hope not)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
i don't have a showplace, i have a home and i have about a thousand things that i think are more important than making sure i never have anything out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treespeak View Post
Sure, but can I whisk my son out the back door? He's naked from the waist down and covered in paint from the waist up.
I don't think I can name any people who have stopped by that without seeing them out and about would think they even HAVE clothes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i would, but about a year or two ago, no. i mean, i would not to be rude, but i would feel ashamed of my place.

i always felt embarassed by the mess and clutter--it was very emotional. getting rid of it has helped me (even though i still need to work on the underlying issue), and getting rid of it has helped DH see and learn about how free and comfortable and calm things can be without clutter.

he said "it is just more relaxing that way." true enough.
I just love your story, I only abbreviated it because of the length of this post. It reminds me so much of my transformation. Several years ago I had my Realtor stop by unannounced because another unit in our condos was up for sale. I had a SERIOUS mess. I'm sure I scared them away. He never dropped by unannounced after that although now that I have my act together I wish he would. Even though I was a mother, pregnant, finishing my degree and working two jobs I should have had my place more under control. It was downright embarrassing. I think that was one of the steps in getting my ship in shape. seriously. it wasn't filthy, just jam packed, cluttered and not picked up. gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove View Post
my house is always messy but I feel like I clean all day!
TRUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
yep! there are toys on the floor, water in the tub and likely towels on the floor, dishes on the counter but our house looks loved and lived in not dirty.
yup this this is where we are at now. always lived in, food going on hands full of doing something, dishes, a craft project, the children playing with toys- whatever. we live here.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#65 of 83 Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 AM

Well, it's 11:30 at night, so it would be strange for a friend to show up, but of course I'd let 'em in.

Besides the timing, it would be less about the state of my house and more about having the courtesy to let me know that they are coming. That's the only thing that might bother me, but it depends on the situation.

I worry less about my house being tidy with friends than I do with family. Some I clean up more for than others.

Personally I prefer people to NOT clean up for me, when I'm coming over. I'd rather people be comfortable and not worry about what I might think.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#66 of 83 Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
yup this this is where we are at now. always lived in, food going on hands full of doing something, dishes, a craft project, the children playing with toys- whatever. we live here.

#67 of 83 Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM

I would. Our house is pretty clean most of the time, so I'd always let a friend in. I figure any real friend would be able to handle whatever small mess there might be, like unmade beds in the morning, mail on the counter, suitcase being unpacked, packing box from a delivery, etc. But our house is rarely what I would consider messy. It's probably only really messy if we've been sick, and in that case I'd assume the friend was bringing us supplies!
#68 of 83 Old 01-20-2010, 05:01 PM
MJB

Yes, although I'd prefer 5-10 minutes to sweep the kitchen floor (which has cereal droppings on it) and wipe down the toilet (I have two boys). I'd make the kids' beds if I had time but it's not a must.
#69 of 83 Old 01-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum View Post
Friends? They can come in no matter how my home looks! Friends don't judge. Neighbours? Yikes, I would like a bit of warning today! I haven't vacuumed once this week and the kitchen has piles of dirty dishes. To couch is covered in dog hair and muddy prints, with a streak of pizza sauce on one cushion. This isn't normal though. We came home with a new puppy on Saturday, I spend Monday, Tuesday and most of Wednesday prepping and painting ds#1 &ds#2's bedroom and then was up all night with ds#2 who was hit with the stomach flu. Yesturday was definatly a snuggle/cuddle/recover day
:

hh2.gif

#70 of 83 Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 AM

so go figure it happened twice today

The first time I was slacking (probably here on MDC ) and had to spend just a couple of minutes dressing the children and picking up a couple of items in the living room and the second time we'd literally just walked in the door from running errands and were putting groceries away and I was walking out the door for work- so whatever my DH did I came home to a pretty immaculate house

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#71 of 83 Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Right now I definitely would be okay with it. I like things vacuumed, tidy and dusted. I'm very picky. I did some cleaning today so its clean. I actually don't mind people dropping by since I worry alot less. If they tell me they are coming I will clean everything-exhausting.
#72 of 83 Old 01-24-2010, 05:18 PM

I would, because the house is as clean as usual, and the only people who would be dumb enough to just drop by without calling first are also the ones who have seen my house in a much worse state.
#73 of 83 Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM

I would. I don't really mind. They're my friends and they know we have kids and can't expect to have the house tidy all the time.

The best thing a mother can do is to love the children.
#74 of 83 Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Our house is always pretty much ready for company, because we have a caregiver who comes in three days a week, and my in-laws come one day a week, EVERY week. There is almost always some toy clutter, and there might be a few dishes on the counter or in the sink, but nothing I'd feel the need to take care of before letting someone in.

On weekends, I might do a quick check in the bathroom to make sure that all underwear has been put away, but other than that, I have no fear.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#75 of 83 Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM

This is a cool thread.

#76 of 83 Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 PM

For sure! I used to be *so* uptight about making sure my house looked impeccable if someone was coming over and then I had baby #3.

We keep most toys downstairs in the playroom so my main level is usually presentable, aside from the few toys that we have upstairs for the youngest... and due to his destructive nature, they're usually spread out *everywhere*. There will either be dishes waiting to be washed or drip drying in the dish rack and probably a basket of laundry sitting out, waiting to be folded. But if someone is going to judge me on that, then they are not worth having inviting in!

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#77 of 83 Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Yes, my friends know that I'm not perfect, & I'm close enought with all of them to not feel weird if my house was a mess. If it was not a good friend I would scramble to make it look decent. My house is usually in pretty good shape anyway!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#78 of 83 Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
I would, because the house is as clean as usual, and the only people who would be dumb enough to just drop by without calling first are also the ones who have seen my house in a much worse state.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#79 of 83 Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 PM

I would if they are good friends. I just say: "don't look at the mess". And then they prob. say: "don't worry, our house also looks like that" if they mean it or not
Most important to me is the downstairs powder room. So I keep those Method bathroom cleaning wipes (I know not very green, but you can flush them) in the bathroom, and spot clean when I go to the bathroom, so it usually looks good.

Carma
#80 of 83 Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 PM

I would. My real friends wouldn't judge me because my house isn't meticulously clean.
#81 of 83 Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would. I've managed to get to a level where the house is never more than a few minutes away from being presentable. Right now the lunch dishes need to be washed, I need to wipe down the bathroom (I keep a tub of disinfecting wipes in there for emergency wipedowns), there are a few toys scattered across the playroom floor, and a few magazines and coupons waiting to be sorted on an end table. If someone can't deal with that, they don't need to be in my house!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#82 of 83 Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM

I feel the same way about our guest bathroom. It *must* be clean at all times. Also, I try to keep the kitchen dishes rinsed and the trash out. Otherwise, I'm pretty laid back about our home. I figure if nothin's smellin we're doing allright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma View Post
I would if they are good friends. I just say: "don't look at the mess". And then they prob. say: "don't worry, our house also looks like that" if they mean it or not
Most important to me is the downstairs powder room. So I keep those Method bathroom cleaning wipes (I know not very green, but you can flush them) in the bathroom, and spot clean when I go to the bathroom, so it usually looks good.

Carma

#83 of 83 Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM

-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page