If you were in charge of cleaning a very messy house - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The first thing I did was the kitchen -- didn't get it sparkly but halfway decent, and then the same in the entry, dining, and living room. Basically, the downstairs, which are also the communal areas. If someone were coming over tonight, I wouldn't be in a panic (although not very proud, either ) -- I'll maintain where it's at and then I'll come back to it in a few days and go room by room getting each area as clean as I can, into the nooks and crannies!

The bathroom was already sort of decent, so after I was feeling like I accomplished getting the downstairs "good enough" I went on to dig into the kids' bedroom, which was by far the worst room of the house. I decided in there to clean it GOOD, including sorting everything in the closet (!!!) and washing down the walls. I'm not done in there, as we're going to sort through the toys and clothes and pare down a bunch, and then organize the keepers. It looks SO much better already!!

After that, I'm going to do my room until it's as clean as I can get it, including the closet -- after that I'll do the same to the kitchen, then bathroom, and then the dining and living rooms. I'm anticipating it taking a little while!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#32 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle~Mommy :) View Post
I'd probably start with the kitchen and bathrooms, don't know why really lol that's how I do it here.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#33 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

sounds like you are getting there! it will come together.

maintaining it is the big thing. DH is a whiner about this "it's never ending!" yeah, if you accept that, then it doesn't bother you. you just do it.

he's getting better at that. LOL
#34 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
sounds like you are getting there! it will come together.

maintaining it is the big thing. DH is a whiner about this "it's never ending!" yeah, if you accept that, then it doesn't bother you. you just do it.

he's getting better at that. LOL
I'm getting better at accepting it -- it gets tough when the brown sugar is spilled on the couch, though. Which seems to be the sort of thing that happens when you're upstairs cleaning out a closet. However, I hear that THAT sort of thing is *not* neverending. I'm hoping that by the time they're all school-age or so, the sugar-dumping will have ended!

PS All baking supplies are now on a slightly higher shelf in the kitchen.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
#35 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

whenever DH or anyone gets upset about something hawk got into that he shouldn't ahve, i remind them that *they* are the adult and *they* should keep things out of his reach. . ..

no one likes to hear it, but it's true. if they can't have it, it should be in a place where they can't get it!

but yeah, that does decrease over time.
#36 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
whenever DH or anyone gets upset about something hawk got into that he shouldn't ahve, i remind them that *they* are the adult and *they* should keep things out of his reach. . ..

no one likes to hear it, but it's true. if they can't have it, it should be in a place where they can't get it!

but yeah, that does decrease over time.
Oh, I know! However, there are very few places that they absolutely can't get to. The mobility of dining room chairs makes many places very accessible. Otherwise we'd have to hang everything we own from nets on the ceiling, where WE couldn't get it either -- which isn't very practical. I'd rather deal with sugar on the couch than try to hang it from the ceiling!

And since it's really just the 2 yo, because the other ones generally no longer feel the urge to do stuff like that (or they let me know first so we can talk about it!) -- I'm pretty confident that it's a passing phase.

I did accept it as the price I paid for having time to clean their bedroom unhampered. Kind of worth it, IMO.

#37 of 42 Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM

I like a good picking up the trash if it has really gotten far since you see results right away. After that, I use a timer. 10, 15, or 20 minutes and I just go at whatever strikes me. It works as a maintenance pick up, or lets you work hard at one area. After you can take a little break and start again or you can squeeze it in here and there, since it is only a few minutes.

I also like the does not belong here basket, to keep from getting distracted if I am working on a room.

I tend to organized but untidy. My kitchen floor is covered with plastic containers little one pulled out, but the things that are away I know where they are and they are even labeled.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#38 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM

I work best with a list.

So, go through each room and make a list for that specific room.

Prioritize by 1, 2, or 3, for each list. For example, 1 being garbage. 2 being dishes, and 3 being laundry. Add more priorities if you need to, like 4 being change linens, 5 vacuum/mop floors.

Then, go through and do all the 1's for each room. Then all the 2's. Go through until the whole list is done. The most important part for me is to scratch off each task as I finish it. I swear it makes all the difference to actually see those things "going away" if you will.

Or, alternatively, I'd go through and first clean what I consider the most important rooms, for me being the bathrooms and kitchen.

Either way, you definitely need to pace yourself and maybe just dedicate a certain amount of time to cleaning each day. Set a timer, put on some music and just clean.
#39 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM

The first thing I do when my house is neglected is clean the bathroom. It's a small room and easy to clean, yet I feel very accomplished when I finish it. From there, I'd probably make a pile of dirty towels in the mud room and add to it as I cleaned each room. I'd put DH and the urchin to work in the kitchen. If that doesn't work, I kick them out (we have plenty of fun options for them to do in this town, rain or shine).

I'd do the kitchen from the counters down. Dishes can take a lot of time and wear you out, so just pile those up (we don't collect dishes in various rooms, though). Don't get bogged down by detail tasks. Sure, wipe the cabinets down, but save the stove for tomorrow. It's much easier to clean the stove when you don't have a whole house waiting.

I usually try to declutter so that I can vacuum visible floor. I let DS dust whatever he can reach. After all, when other kids visit, the dust only gets noticed if the kids get filthy.

I'm trying to establish a pattern/habit where I clean/declutter at least one thing before I leave the house with kiddo (we just leave and ride the bus for fun). It might be the bathroom sink. It might be folding a load of laundry or starting a load. It might be putting some dishes in the dishwasher. Helping DS put away his blocks. Little things.

Right now, my house is a disaster, but we're happy. That's gotta count for something. It's also too wet outside for our favorite new hobby (geocaching), so we have no excuse not to straighten up a bit.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#40 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM

The priorities in my house are the kitchen and living room. The bedrooms and basement rarely get a thorough cleaning.

I dread having to deal with my parents' house when they die. They are affirmed packrats, and have SO MUCH STUFF. The hardest thing would be dealing with their stuff. (I'd love to help them declutter before they die, but there's no way they're going to declutter much.) I don't want to sell the house with everything in it, without going through it, because I want to be sure to get photos, heirlooms, and sentimental items. But I also don't want to be sucked into the clutter, and end up keeping more than I need.

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#41 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When my house gets bad, I do small areas first so they can be totally done, or else I feel like I got nowhere.

I always start with the bathroom, because it's a contained area and things either belong there or they don't. I also really like having a clean bathroom. Next I do the kitchen, even if I just wash the counters and load the dishwasher.
I am also willing to mop and vaccuum before things are totally cleaned up, I just move things around or clean around them. That might sound silly, but it makes me feel better immediately.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#42 of 42 Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM

I would three extra large boxes from Uhaul. One is labeled Trash, the other is labeled Donate, and the other is labeled Storage. Now go through your main living space when the kids are asleep and throw EACH AND EVERY ITEM except for books and furniture into one of these boxes. This includes all of their crayons, toys, papers, dolls, blocks, torn clothing, odds and ends, etc. Get it all out of the house. Put the toys that everyone likes into the Storage box and store that away in the garage. When my kids make a huge mess with toys and aren't responsible enough to clean up (almost always), that toy gets put in the garage.

It helps to remove the ability to make giant messes. And I know kids playing is great but kids cleaning up their play spaces is equally as important as the creative play itself.

Once all of that is removed from the house, you need to do the deep cleaning of everything - couch cushions, under dressers, junk drawers. Do one room each day. Don't neglect your own bedroom either. It's refreshing if that room is kept pristine every single day - you'll feel better sleeping and waking in it. I'm not sure of your kids ages but they need to be taught how to help. 10 minute cleaning sprees after each meal done by everyone can be amazingly effective.

Good luck!

hang.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page