Do you use dish cloths? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do, my family has always just used a dish cloth for the kitchen. We clean everything, rinse it with hot water, wring it out, and hang it over the faucet. Dishsoap and hotwater keep it clean.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think they are very dirty.  They spread the germs around.  How come when my parents and in laws are over they insist on putting one on the kitchen sink.  What are they weird or something?
BU!

#33 of 44 Old 12-17-2010, 06:45 PM

We only use dish cloths, no sponges here.  I think sponges are gross, they harbor so many germs.  We use a scrub brush to get all of the food and whatever else off of the dishes before cleaning them.  We have separate cloths for washing dishes (we usually put most in the dishwasher, but occasionally I'll wash some by hand) and others for cleaning things like counters and whatnot.  One style for each, so they look different and easy to tell them apart.  Then I also have tea towels that are used for drying dishes and drying clean hands, and other regular dish towels are used for drying the counter and other things.  I'm super picky about this stuff, maybe too much.  lol  I also don't like them to sit in the sink, so once we use a cloth or towel, it goes into a bucket next to the washing machine and the next time we need one we use a clean one.  We never reuse any of our wash cloths once they have already been used.  Might as well use a sponge.  The cloths and towels build up in the tub when they are dirty, and once I have a full tub I wash them.  I wash them by themselves and I use bleach (the only thing I use bleach with) and I have never once had a problem with them smelling, even if I leave them in the bucket for a long time.  They just smell clean.  I don't have a problem with mold or anything else either.  

My towels/cloths in their home:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/71db7ccc.jpg

The bucket I put them in, in between the sink and the washer:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/8deb7d40.jpg

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#34 of 44 Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 PM

We have dishclothes for dishes and counters, and bigger towels for bigger messes or drying.  Everything gets washed several times a week, and I go through 2 to 3 a day.  Haven't bought a sponge in years, although, like others we have plastic scrubby things and also steel wool for stainless.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#35 of 44 Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 PM

we dont have a single sponge in the house, i think they are SO gross. my mom uses them and i can smell that sour sponge smell as soon as i walk into her house.

i use green scrubby pads that i cut down to 1"x2" strips for any scrubbing and terry cloth 6"x6" towels for just about everything. i have some bigger towels for drying or cleaning up big spills.

i go through about 4 small cloths and 1 big cloth a day. sometimes 5 if my husband leaves one wet in the sink (eeewwww...... i cant handle it and put it right in the wash even if its just cold water on it)

i use those 6x6 cloths for everything, wiping tables, floors, sinks, counters, all sorts. but i work them top down. so a cloth can go from the counter to the table to the floor but not the other way around. even if rinsed in between. 

#36 of 44 Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM

We have a big stash of hand knitted tawashi. We use them once and then toss them in the laundry.  Sponges creep me out and dishcloths are often too bulky to fit into crevices nicely. 

everyday adventures of a CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, natural living, fiber artist mama
#37 of 44 Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't use sponges. I have cotton washcloths, the best are hand-crocheted. I get a fresh one every other day or so, and wash a load of towels at least once or twice a week. I've just gifted myself with some lovely brushes hand-crafted with birch and natural bristles that almost make me want to wash dishes, they are so nice to use. I have one for glass/bottle cleaning and another for scrubbing pans. They have been made in Sweden by visually impaired craftsmen for over 100 years. The quality is wonderful. 

#38 of 44 Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Right now I live with my parents so I have no say in what is bought or used. sigh. But, once i get my own place, hopefully this summer I intend to use cloths for everything. I will not have paper towels or paper napkins in my home and sponges skeev me out. No idea how I'll manage the specifics, but I'll probably use one for everything for a day or until it gets gross, whichever comes first. Ollyoxenfree: where did you get those brushes? They sound awesome. Do they have any that can be used on baby bottles?

#39 of 44 Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesmc View Post

Ollyoxenfree: where did you get those brushes? They sound awesome. Do they have any that can be used on baby bottles?

Yes, they have bottle brushes. The glass brush that I have is great for cleaning glass milk bottles, and it might fit baby bottles, but if it doesn't there is a slender bottle brush available too. They are really awesome. A little pricey, but the craftsmanship is obvious and I expect them to last a long time. 

I bought them at a lovely little shop that imports all sorts of goods from Sweden and other places around the world, so you could look locally to see if there is something similar where you are. They are made by Iris Hantverk.  

Hmm, I just did a google search, and in the U.S., it looks like they are available at Brook Farm General Store. I don't know anything about that retailer though. 

#40 of 44 Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM

I go through at least 5 dishcloths per day because I like to grab a new one for washing the tray to the highchair, counters, baby hands, etc. I found that the microfiber towels I bought didn't end up using as diaper inserts work really well cut up in quarters. You can get a whole pack in the automotive dept. at Target. Smaller cloths make less laundry and still allow me to grab fresh ones all day.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#41 of 44 Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post

I use dishcloths and rags. We have lots of rags so I'll use as many as I feel is needed. I wash all rags and cloths with towels.

this

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#42 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I use a  scrubby sponge for pots and things that need to be scrubbed.  Everything else I use washcloths.  I change them as needed, like if I clean up something icky.  I just run hot water and a bit of soap and rinse really well and hang to dry until the next use.  It's as clean as it was when I started.

#43 of 44 Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM

I use them LOTS!  I love them!  I love using them, and making tons of them, and when they come out of the dryer, seeing the great big stacks of color!  I have a whole drawer stuffed full. 

I use 3 or 4 a day.  I'll use one for dishes in the morning, one for dishes in the evening, and one or two for wiping down counters and tables.  On days that I am doing my deep house cleaning, I might use lots more, for wet dusting, or scrubbing down walls, switches, and doors.

#44 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Cloths. Im a cloth hoarder. I have big bar towels for hot things and drying things and soaking things up. microfiber ones and little walmart dish rags for dishes and counters. washcloths for soaking up things or washing kids and wiping down anything oh and linen teatowels for drying glasses and whatnot (my grandma gave me those.) my problems is i still havent kicked the massive paper towel habit this family has. i had never owned a roll till i married! That and he'll leave three inches of scum water in the sink with the cloth all sad and ghastly in the corner.... i use tongs to get it because it makes my skin crawl! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page