Do you use dish cloths? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering..

I recently, within the last month, switched from sponges to cloths. I am still not used to it. I still bust out the sponge for big really messy things, like a pot of red sauce of something. Also, do you use that same wet cloth to wash the counters around the sink? or do you use a different one?

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#2 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I generally use one dish cloth a day & I use it on everything. On really busy, messy days I may use more. Having them sit around wet/damp grosses me out.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyann3 View Post
Just wondering..

I recently, within the last month, switched from sponges to cloths. I am still not used to it. I still bust out the sponge for big really messy things, like a pot of red sauce of something. Also, do you use that same wet cloth to wash the counters around the sink? or do you use a different one?
I use dish cloths, usually 2 a day since I have to do lots of dishes by hand. I usually wash dishes with a fresh one and then use it on the table, counters, and sink, then it goes in the dirty pile (actually we hang them on a towel bar in our kitchen closet so they dry then put them in a former diaper pail and wash once a week).

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I generally use one dish cloth a day & I use it on everything. On really busy, messy days I may use more. Having them sit around wet/damp grosses me out.
Same here. Never used sponges in the kitchen. A couple years ago I switched from thin store-bought dish cloths to hand-knit (by DH's aunt) dish cloths. It took some getting used to, but now I love them!
#5 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM

I use a dish cloth mostly for wiping up messes. I use 1 a day (or maybe 2) then hang it to dry before I put it in the laundry, so that they don't get musty.

I use a plastic scrubby thing to scrub pots and pans. I use the same one for months, throwing it in the dishwasher as needed if it gets gross.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#6 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

i'm also a daily dish cloth user.

ok, here's the actual deal.

i have a whole pile of simple wash cloths (ikea) in a little basket in the kitchen. i use these for baby messes, cleaning dishes etc, and countertops and what not. so, i usually use 3-5 a day.

they go in with everything else in the wash--clothes, dipes, etc. i just toss them in, fold them up, and back out into the kitchen they go.
#7 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 PM

I use dishclothes to wash dishes. I use a sponge to wipe down the counters, tables, etc. The sponge sits on the sink and I send it through the dishwasher to clean. I use 1 dishcloth a day for dishes.
#8 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM

I use dishcloth to do all the dishes, and then I use lysol and paper towel to docounter. Or I have one cloth labeled COUNTERS for the lysol and counters. I don't usually use a sponge, but I have a few under the sink, just in case!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#9 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I use dishcloths for everything. Everyone seems to grab a new one, so there's always a bunch used by the end of the day...but they beat using paper towels ~and I have read too many germ-y stories about sponges
#10 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM

I use one dish cloth a day to wash dishes --> counters --> stove top --> the floor near the stove/sink - corner where food prep is done - (in that order), then it hangs to dry. Once it is dry, it goes into the laundry area and gets washed with whichever load is next. (If I am starting a new load of laundry, I will grab the dish cloth and towels from the kitchen, but the timing is generally the way I first described.)

I use a green scrubbie or stainless steel ball to clean the pots and pans first and then wash in the soapy water with the dish cloth.

We have this nifty magnetic box ($2-3 at Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx) that is on the side of the dryer where we keep a handful of clean rags for anyone to use for anything. (We have another small pile in the upstairs linen closet. The main stash is above the dryer in a cabinet.) In most cases, used rags get used once and are hung to dry, then washed like the dish cloths. If a rag is used for a greasy or otherwise flammable mess (very rare), then I toss it in the trash. Super messy and/or gross (but not flammable) messes get cleaned up with rags, which are then rinsed WELL and hung to dry, and then sit on the powder room counter until I wash an appropriate load or they accumulate enough for a load of their own (like today ).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#11 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
This.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#12 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM

I use one dish cloth a day, and one for drying / shining the sink, and then I have a scrubby (um, don't know how to describe it... it's not a sponge, it's made of woven plastic) for when necessary.

I use the same cloths for wiping the sink and table. It's all "clean" food stuff, it's not like I'm sharing between, say, the living room windowsills or the bathtub or something.

I do, however, use the kitchen cloth to wipe down the bathroom sink and bathtub and the toilet (in that order) before it's retired to the laundry basket. But obviously that never goes in the reverse order (bathroom to kitchen) 'cause that would be nasty.

I have never used paper towels, and sponges feel gross to me.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#13 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 AM

Talking about dishclothes, is anyone using the woolen ones? I keep seeing some lovely handmade woolen ones on Etsy but I'm hesitant buying them as I do not have a clue how they perform in terms of hot water, drying, washing etc.
#14 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 AM

I can't stand sponges, they really squick me. I use dishcloths and rags. We have lots of rags so I'll use as many as I feel is needed. I wash all rags and cloths with towels.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#15 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM

i use one dish cloth & dish towel each day just for dishes (i do them twice a day....no dishwasher). we have a huge stack of bar mop dish cloths and all purpose dish towels from williams-sonoma. for really nasty dishes that need scrubbing i use a scrub brush from ikea. for my stainless steel cookware i use barkeepers friend and a scrubby sponge.......but in general i can't stand sponges.

for spraying down the counters, stove, etc. i use seventh generation all purpose cleaner and a microfiber cloth (got a stack of these from target).

each evening all the cloths/towels go down the laundry chute and once a week i run a load.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#16 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 PM

I use a sponge, a dish brush and dishcloths. Dishcloths are for everything - wiping counters, doing some quick dishes (tho we use the dishwasher for everything that can go in it), wipe up the kids, wipe tables, spills, the floor. I go through usually 4 a day. My sponge has a scrubby side and I use that when it's needed and I often end up washing cookie sheets and the like with it, and I use a brush for scrubbing inside pots and stuff. I hate getting my hands in the greasy icky water. The brush is long handled.

Dishcloths are hung to dry after use and go into the wash. The sponge is squeezed out and put up to dry after every use, and it and the brush go into the dishwasher at least several times a week.

It took me a long time to train DH to ring out the cloths and sponge and leave them where they could dry, rather than dropping them back into the sink to get musty and gross.
#17 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
= I hate getting my hands in the greasy icky water. The brush is long handled.
i'm this way too.....and am a HUGE fan of gloves!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#18 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM

We use dish cloths to clean dishes, then at the end of the night one is used to wipe down the counters really well. I also have rags in the kitchen to sop up spills. NO sponges here, they gross me out. We use at least one dish cloth a day, and they get washed either that day or the next. They go in with our regular laundry. I usually throw them in the washer first and let them hang out the longest in the soapy water before adding the rest of the load.
#19 of 44 Old 01-21-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
i'm this way too.....and am a HUGE fan of gloves!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#20 of 44 Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM

No sponges here (except to clean the bathroom). We use dish cloths, and a scrubbie (plastic or steel wool) for the really stuck-on bits. After dishes are done I use the same dish cloth to wipe counters, stovetop, rinse and hang to dry for the next day. We both work full time so dishes are only done once per day... so a dishcloth lasts 2-3 days, depending.

Hubby is terrible about leaving the dishcloth in a wet heap at the bottom of the sink (yuck!) but if it's hung over the tap to dry properly then I feel better about reusing it another day.

The discloths we use are all handknit (half by myself, half from my grandma) from Handicrafter Cotton. The pattern is very simple garter stitch and is printed on the yarn labels, or available on the website:
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2328

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#21 of 44 Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Funny, we've been using sponges alot lately. I grew up using dishcloths and have plenty of them in the house, we just never use them. I reckon we'll get back to that. Sponges end up costing after a while.

What do you use on your pots and pans?

signature currently in transition
#22 of 44 Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM

I use two a day. We do dishes in the evening after supper. I use one to wash dishes, and another to wipe down counters and tables. Then they hang to dry out, and they go into the laundry bin the next morning.
#23 of 44 Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM

First I always use a brush and hot water to remove all food. Can't imagine not using a brush. I use a scrubby sponge to wash the dishes if I do anything by hand. Usually, dishes go right into the dishwasher after I rinse them. I use a dishcloth to clean counters only. Try to use a new one every day but somedays its 2 days. If I had my own washing machine i'd be changing it everyday but in my condo its downstairs. What totally grosses me out is when people use a scrubby sponge to remove food off their dishes and then wash dishes w it. My MIL does this and its disgusting. That wet sponge sits in the sink all day and looks so nasty. I can imagine the nasty germs growing. My husband also leaves clothes and sponges wet in the sink alot of the time.
#24 of 44 Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM

i don't think I've ever used anything other than a dish cloth. My parents always called them "washin' dish rags" and "dryin' dish rags" lol. That applies to any and all rags/cloths/whatever. I go through 3 or 4 per day, one for dishes, one for counter/stovetop, one for general messiness.
#25 of 44 Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
i use one dish cloth & dish towel each day just for dishes (i do them twice a day....no dishwasher). we have a huge stack of bar mop dish cloths and all purpose dish towels from williams-sonoma. for really nasty dishes that need scrubbing i use a scrub brush from ikea. for my stainless steel cookware i use barkeepers friend and a scrubby sponge.......but in general i can't stand sponges.

for spraying down the counters, stove, etc. i use seventh generation all purpose cleaner and a microfiber cloth (got a stack of these from target).

each evening all the cloths/towels go down the laundry chute and once a week i run a load.
we use bar mops too, though I get a pack of 20 for 7 bucks at restaurant depot-you can even get a pack of 24 at a costco/sams club type store for 20-25 bucks. they are all 100% cotton, and wash up great. I have about 40 right now, but i plan on buying more. we keep them on a shelf in the kitchen and have a bummis wetbag hanging by our brooms for the dirty towels-we use them to clean up the counters, wipe up spills, pick up hot things, etc...and for washing dishes i have a scrub brush with a long handle that I throw in the dishwasher every few days. to clean i have two spray bottles, one filled with hydrogen peroxide and one with white vinegar, and a box of kosher salt and a box of baking soda for other cleaning needs.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#26 of 44 Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 PM

yes, we use dishrags. I get in trouble from dp because I dont like to reuse one that I have cleaned anything with. If there was germs on the counter, I wouldnt want to transfer them to the table or vice versa. We have a cabinet full and I get a new one for every application. I usually do drop them wet into the empty sink and then take them all to the wash at the end of the day, but dp does hate this. But he will scrub dishes, the stove, the counter and table with the same rag and then try to use it to "wash" the baby's hands!!! I have him finally trained to get a new one for the baby at least, and he has me trained to get the dirty rags out of the sink before he comes home and sees them. I probably go through 6-10 or more in a day. For pots or anything that really needs a hard scrubbing, I use loofah sponges that I grow myself. They are awesome because you can wash them and they are tough and hard for hard scrubbing.
Also, btw, we use wash cloths as napkins, too. DP was used to paper towels and he really complained about my cloth napkins, as he felt they werent "absorbant" enough. So one night I gave him a dishrag instead and he liked this much better, and so did ds. SO now we save my pretty handmade cloth napkins for company and we just use clean dishrags for napkins on a daily basis.

Mama to 3 boys 

#27 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 02:29 AM

I grew up using sponges only, and we still use them regularly, mainly for the scrubby side. Most dishes go in the dishwasher without much preparation, but for those dishes that need scrubbing, we use sponges.

I've always had a clean cloth on a handle for drying hands. I had built up a collection of dish cloths from gifts (I never bought one myself) and they were pretty much unused until our housemate, who uses them for everything. At first it drove me up the wall that he was using so many (and staining them terribly), and using and not replacing the clean one for hands. But I have taken to using cloths for counters and the floor (though now I have a cloth pad mop, and use that on the floor usually instead).

I'll keep a clean one out for drying hands, this usually lasts for weeks. When I need a new one for the counters, I'll use the hand drying one and replace that with a new one. The one for the counters hangs over the side of the sink, and usually lasts for weeks too. When one is needed for the floor, I'll use the existing counter one and replace the counter one with the hand drying one and the hand drying one with a new one. The floor one usually just goes through one use and then is wrung and hung over the side of the hamper. When the counter one is deemed too funky for cleaning, it also goes on the side of the hamper. The cloths go in with the general laundry.

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#28 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 AM

We use dishcloths that I knit from handicrafter cotton. I have about 10 so I can toss them in the wash whenever. This isn't once a day, though. Generally I have two on the go - one for dishes, one for counters, but DH doesn't really keep them separate. I figure that if they are rinsed out with some dishsoap and left to dry promptly that they are pretty clean.

Call me strange, but apart from obvious nasties (raw chicken etc) I don't mind spreading our own family's germs around the place too much.

I only use these cloths in the kitchen/dining room. Each bathroom has its own chux and scrubbies for cleaning.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#29 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I can't stand sponges, they really squick me. I use dishcloths and rags. We have lots of rags so I'll use as many as I feel is needed. I wash all rags and cloths with towels.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#30 of 44 Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page