wooden cutting boards and glues/oils/toxins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I;m in the market for a large chopping block type cutting board - I wanted to get a really thick , end-grain type version to keep on my counter (just for veggies).

Anyway, I started thinking about how the wood is glued together and the mineral oil treatments, etc and was wondering if this is actually a safer alternative to plastic? I think I've got the oil thing down - I could probably use coconut oil as I don't think it will go rancid like olive oil would, but what about the actual glue that holds the wood together? It's got to be some sort of glue, and I'm sure it's classified as 'non-toxic', but so are plastic food storage containers, which I choose not to use.

Any info about what type of cutting board is best from a health perspective?
#2 of 10 Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM

I don't know but I'd love to know!

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 10 Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 PM

Not sure about the glue but just wanted to confirm that I do use coconut oil for my cutting board and it works really well. No issues so far!
#4 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#5 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 AM

I've wondered the same thing. I worry not only about the glue, but I think they sometimes coat the board with something to make it smooth.

If it were me, I'd just get a plain cutting board sans glue.
#6 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Why not just look for one thats one solid piece of wood? I know they exist cause' we have at least one like that!!
#7 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Why not just look for one thats one solid piece of wood? I know they exist cause' we have at least one like that!!
I would, but I was hoping for one of those very substantial, like 2 inch thick chopping blocks that last forever - won't warp or crack and will just stay on my counter. You can't get one of those that is a solid piece of wood - most (if not all) are end grain due to the thickness.

I'm sick of my cutting boards sliding around on my counters while I'm chopping and I'm really getting into cooking these days - I want something HUGE

I have seen some really nice ones that are solid wood - beautiful, actually! But they are quite small and thin.
#8 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturebaby View Post
I'm sick of my cutting boards sliding around on my counters while I'm chopping...
Not answering your main question but putting a wet dishcloth under the cutting board will prevent it from moving around.

Hope it helps!
#9 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva View Post
Not answering your main question but putting a wet dishcloth under the cutting board will prevent it from moving around.

Hope it helps!
Oh - thats a good idea - thanks!

Okay, so I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Bamboo...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

This could be what I'm looking for - they advertise that they use formaldehyde-free glue and it's free of dyes, toxins, etc. Plus, it's HUGE and heavy, which is what I've been looking for. Not exactly the color that I was looking for, but I'd rather compromise on looks than quality.

I'm surprised that there is not more info available on this stuff - perhaps it is not really even a problem, but the thought of my food coming into contact with any glue is not really appealing... Although I'd probably prefer that to plastic...
#10 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturebaby View Post
I'm sick of my cutting boards sliding around on my counters while I'm chopping and I'm really getting into cooking these days - I want something HUGE
I have a decent size cutting board and it still slides on my counter (it's reversible so it doesn't have little feet or anything). I cut a piece of that grippy shelf liner stuff (like this) to be just a bit smaller than the board so you can't see it and it does a great job of keeping it in place. Plus when I want to clean underneath it it's still easy to lift the board, shake off the liner in the sink, and put them back.

FWIW my cutting board is 12"x18" and 1.5" thick (end grain though, not edge grain which would be better). It is heavy enough that it's not easy to carry it to the pot when I have a bunch of veggies chopped on it, instead I scoop them up with my hands and bring them to the stove. I think having a slightly lighter board would be easier so I could just carry the whole thing over (what I used to do with my previous cutting board).

Here's a pic of it, DH got it at a local Amish furniture store:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/DSC_0109.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page