owens-corning basement refinishing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone used this system?

http://franchising.owenscorning.com/bfs/

we had someone out last week to give us an estimate. it is very appealing for a number of reasons -- most especially that it is professionally installed in under two weeks.

but i have some reservations....mainly the make up of the materials...pvc trim and who knows what in the panels themselves that makes them mold/mildew resistent.

but....i also have reservations about us tring to do it ourselves or even hiring a local contractor due to the long-term issues of mold/mildew damage etc.

anyway....just wondering if anyone has any info on or experience with this system or something similar as we weigh out the pros and cons.

thanks.

~erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 12:47 AM

I don't know anything about this system, but I do know that there are certainly ways to mold/mildew proof a "real" finished basement.

When we finished ours a few years ago, we first used a really good primer on the brick. After the exterior walls were framed, we packed the studs full of insulation. Over the insulation went tons of plastic and duct tape, then drywall.
If you have moisture problems in your basement, you could use drywall/cement board meant for bathrooms, but it shouldn't really be necessary with the insulation and plastic lining.

The whole project cost $20,000, but we also added a bathroom ($7,000), had to have the cement floor dug out and re-poured ($5,000), and had the whole house re-wired in the process.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:09 PM

It sounds like you have an existing dampness problem in the basement. Is it mild or serious???
Before you "finish" the basement, you really need to fix the source of the dampness:

* check outdoor grading, make sure runoff goes away from the house
* lengthen downspouts so they carry water far enough away
* adjust/clean gutters if needed
* paint block walls with 2 coats of drylock paint. Drylock does a good job but it can't fix major grading problems
* install dehumidifier

For really serious water issues, you can have the soil outside the foundation walls excavated, and a waterproofing compound applied (this is done by a professional of course). Or, you install a french drain and sump pump.

A finished basement is great - after water issues are addressed. You could also consider blue board insulation (with drywall over it) for basement finishing. http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc.../rigidfoam.htm
Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

i don't think we have any wetness issues. i mean other than typical basement kind of stuff. the guy who came to talk to us made it seem like it was a really super big deal to not use wood or drywall in a basement.

ay, ye, ye. my cat is attacking my hands. i give up trying to type.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Well, of course he's going to make it seem that way. He wants you to buy his potentially yucky mystery boards.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama View Post
and who knows what in the panels themselves that makes them mold/mildew resistent.
plastic is "mold/mildew resistant"
Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys.

we've put the project on hold for a bit. we tested high for radon so now we're learning about radon abatement.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 PM

It's always something, isn't it?

That said, I live in MN and all of the houses have basements. Everyone I know with a finished basement has wood and drywall. I've lived in several houses with wood and drywall in the basement. We've never had any problems with it. We're currently finishing our basement (and by "we" I mean DH is building and I'm providing moral support ) with wood studs and drywall. I can't see a reason to do it differently.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama View Post
thanks guys.

we've put the project on hold for a bit. we tested high for radon so now we're learning about radon abatement.
absolutely do the radon mitigation first. we lost a non-smoking friend to lung cancer. so sad

User Tag List