non-electric vacuum cleaner suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need a on-electric push vacuum cleaner and I am wondering if anyone has one they love. We have small children and a dog so it has to be quite a heavy duty one. We have mostly large throw rugs and upstairs a berber carpet? I think that is what you call the kind of carpet that is loopy and very low to the ground? Any suggestions for good brands?
#2 of 10 Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Do you mean a carpet sweeper?
#3 of 10 Old 03-01-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, a non electric vacuum cleaner that has a brush that spins/rotates on the bottom and a container that picks it all up.
#4 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM

We have low pile carpets throughout and I use the Bissel Swift Sweep exclusively.
#5 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM

I just use a broom on my floors and rugs. It works great
#6 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

A broom would be great except my husband will freak out thinking about all the dust in the air ANyways I would love to find one that is made of metal not plastic and just works good and is very sturdy and will last a long time.
#7 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Its so hard to decide. I have been researching them and you can get natural bristles or synthetic bristles and you can also get a roller with rubber fins that pick up wet and dry. Their is the Hiestlief that looks pretty good or the Bissel natural. But there are also the lower priced ones like the one mentioned above that will most likely do a good job too. I need more input advice, experienced non-electric sweeper opinions.
Why am I so worried about this? Well my usband sucked up an ember the other night in our reg. vacuum cleaner and it caught on fire and until we get it fixed we need something and I have been meaning to get one of these anyways. Its just now my floor looks like um.....outside.
#8 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon mountain mama View Post
A broom would be great except my husband will freak out thinking about all the dust in the air
I used one when my kids were scared of the vacuum cleaner. They still leave a lot of dust in the air and the carpet, so your husband won't be happy either way. They're only really for getting big, visible dirt up, and they don't work on bare floor.
#9 of 10 Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 AM

I have the new Swivel Sweeper and I think it is fantastic! Ever since I bought this I only use my Dyson once a week, and I have a toddler and two cats at home. And the good thing is that it is so light that my 2.5 year-old DS is more than willing to do all the work for me, especially in the kitchen after dinner
#10 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 AM

I know what you have required. I have used one when my kids were scared of the vacuum cleaner. They still leave a lot of dust in the carpet, so your husband won't be happy either way. They're only really for getting big, visible dirt up, and they don't work on bare floor. After all miele vacuum cleaner is the best.

www.witbeckvacuums.com.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page