bath toy warning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we've had those little squeezy toy bath toys since DS was born... you know the kind that suck up water and then squirt when you squeeze them... well the other day I was squirting water at DS in the bath tub, and this black filmy stuff started shooting out of it. MAJOR GROSS! At no other point had it occurred to me that this could be a problem... but you know, those toys just sit in the bathtub between baths... you CAN'T clean out the inside and the water in them leads to mold/mildew buildup on the inside. Totally disgusting. I think about all the times I've had to stop DS from sucking water out of them... bleh.... I threw all of our squeezy bath squirters away and don't plan on buying any more. YUCK!

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#2 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Couldn't you have them suck up bleach water or vinegar water?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 04:49 PM

I try to remember to soak the squeezy toys with a little diluted vinegar or bleach every month or so. Sometimes I miss one. They can be cleaned out, but most of time it's too much effort and I toss them. There are plenty of its former brethern to take its place.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#4 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM

I agree, they are yucky. I've thrown all of ours out too. I don't use bleach, and never thought about trying to 'flush' them with vinegar. Either way, not worth the trouble. The only bath toys I really don't mind ds having are easy to clean buckets, cups, and boats.

I have considered getting him some bath crayons or markers. Anyone have thoughts on these? None of them have a list of ingredients, only that they are non-toxic.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#5 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Through a blog I read, I found out the Today show did a segment on bacteria and bath toys. Yuck! I now know what I won't buy! http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...85464#35685464

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#6 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
I try to remember to soak the squeezy toys with a little diluted vinegar or bleach every month or so. Sometimes I miss one. They can be cleaned out, but most of time it's too much effort and I toss them. There are plenty of its former brethern to take its place.
Ha! love it and so true.

We are dealing with these annoying alligators and fish that my dad got DS a long, long time ago.

While I have successfully culled the heard of all ducks (and we had a flock) DS is obsessed with the alligators and fish. No way, no how can I "hide" them. Even after a two week vacation, the first thing he asked for when getting a bath was his "animals." I tried to distract him but no luck.

And yeah, that black toxic juice is so totally gross. One good thing is DS's remaining herd has yet to get gross.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenBuckyfan View Post
Through a blog I read, I found out the Today show did a segment on bacteria and bath toys. Yuck! I now know what I won't buy! http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...85464#35685464
Oh GAG! That is so disgusting. ***immediately tossing the 3 we own.***

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#8 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
GROSS! That black stuff inside the one they cut open was exactly what I saw squirt out of DS's toy. EEEEEWWWWWIIIEEEE!

On a side note, we have this boat It does trap water inside it and I haven't found a way to pull it apart to clean out the inside.... should I get rid of it? It would make me sad b/c it is so cute, and I spent more than I probably should have on it (about $30 for the set). We gave it to DS for Christmas. WWYD?

#9 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebsmommy25 View Post
I agree, they are yucky. I've thrown all of ours out too. I don't use bleach, and never thought about trying to 'flush' them with vinegar. Either way, not worth the trouble. The only bath toys I really don't mind ds having are easy to clean buckets, cups, and boats.

I have considered getting him some bath crayons or markers. Anyone have thoughts on these? None of them have a list of ingredients, only that they are non-toxic.
I can tell you from the ones I have used, they stain the bathtub and leave the water colored with a bizarre film. I tossed all the ones I have because I found them gross, plus I dont see the point of cleaning my kids in dirty water. And I hate cleaning the bathtub after every bath because there is crayon marks on the walls or a ring around the tub.

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#10 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post
On a side note, we have this boat It does trap water inside it and I haven't found a way to pull it apart to clean out the inside.... should I get rid of it? It would make me sad b/c it is so cute, and I spent more than I probably should have on it (about $30 for the set). We gave it to DS for Christmas. WWYD?
I would think if you can separate it and give it a good clean in hot soapy water and it doesn't look cruddy it's probably ok. I think the hard part about the squirter toys is that you can't get in them to get all the gunk out. If they would separate in half and could be thrown in the dishwasher or washed fully on the inside they'd be ok.

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#11 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Ha, I totally just threw out all of DD's hollow and squeezy bath toys last week for this same reason! Fuzzy brown stuff here though. We went with plastic buckety things instead.
#12 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 PM

Seriously, I just fill the tub with bleachy water and soak them once a week or so...(there's chlorine in the water anyhow), easy peasy.
#13 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess ConsuelaB View Post
Seriously, I just fill the tub with bleachy water and soak them once a week or so...(there's chlorine in the water anyhow), easy peasy.
Sure, for toys without holes, but those little squeezy ones wouldn't get clean that way.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#14 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Yeah, we don't do squeezy bath toys. I figure my kids won't be too harmed by growing up without them
#15 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would think if you can separate it and give it a good clean in hot soapy water and it doesn't look cruddy it's probably ok.
I can't get it separated.... Would soaking it in bleach water be good enough? It doesn't have holes... but what it has is a very small opening that runs completely around the boat where the hull connects to the deck.... so the hull can fill with water...

#16 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 PM

I got ds this set: http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ...romspielstabil quite awhile ago. He normally plays with it outside the tub, but the other day (after tossing most of his tub toys) I realized they would be great to play with in the tub. They are durable, cheap, easy to clean and great fun in and out of the tub!

Thanks zippy_francis... Yeah, I don't see bathing him in dirty water either. The idea of them sounds fun, but I think I'll pass.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#17 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM

I can't stand toys that collect water, either. DD LOVES rubber ducks & has about a million, but they are all for non-water play. I did buy her one specifically for the tub ~ It has no pthalates & the bottom, instead of being a hole, is sealed up & has a weight in it. It will always right itself & cannot collect water! I got it at our local natural toys store for about $2.50 & we both love it! Her other toys are a small plastic bowl and an empty prescription pill container.

I did just buy her a plastic baby doll at the thrift store for water play. All of her other dolls are cloth. This one, sadly, does collect water. I am able to get most of it out by pulling her leg to the side. I figure that if she gets all nasty, I can get another one for a dollar, so that is what I will do. This is also why I don't do plastic play food. It all has holes & will get nasty inside *even if you wash it in bleach water*. This is the type of play food we used in day care & we had to soak them in diluted bleach water to sanitize. Still got black nasties inside b/c we couldn't squeeze all the water out.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#18 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
ber

I've had a similar experience w/the squeezy toys and also banned them from the tub. So gross!

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

#19 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 04:56 PM

We learned the hard way too when DD was little. Now all her bath toys must dry completely overnight. She's happy with cups and funnels etc anyway.
#20 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 PM

OMGoodness. Time to throw out some bath toys. I posted that link to my facebook and I'm sure a lot of others will join me.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#21 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Mindful Home Management.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page