OMG!!!!!!!! HELP!!! DD2 drew all over the house in permanent marker - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The kids woke up before me today and I came downstairs to a blue permanent marker nightmare.

dd2 drew all over the dining room floor. We are talking a 5 foot long mural of lines and eyeballs. She drew eyeballs all over the wooden dining room chairs, and a picture all the way up the stairs on TEXTURED wall paper. She also drew eyeballs on her own forehead and on her legs and arms but honestly that is the last of my worries right now.

What am I going to do????? OMG I don't know if I could cry or flip out right now. We are renting this place, the hardwoods are original and gorgeous (well they were). I tried rubbing it with rubbing alcohol but it didn't do anything but fade it slightly. Tell me there is some magic method (aside from the magic eraser--I'm pretty sure that would ruin the wood further) to get this out.

#2 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM

first, call the marker manufacturer ... they may have a fix.

then try the magic eraser product... it worked on our painted kitchen cabinets, when nothing else did.
#3 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Honestly, I would try the magic eraser in an inconspicuous spot. It took permanent marker off my non-glass computer screen (a LOT of permanent marker).

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM

At worst the floors would have to be refinished--a sander can take off the marker. But that is a pita and expensive. But the floors can definitely be restored so don't worry about permanent damage.

As PP said...Call the manufacturer and try the magic eraser.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#5 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Really? I was afraid the abrasiveness of the magic eraser would be bad for the floor. I guess I'll give it a try in an inconspicuous place first.
#6 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM

OMG poor mama
I hope you get some good ideas, I sure wish I could help. Permanent markers oughta come with kid proof lids....hugs and good luck to you.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#7 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM

I don't know if it will work on the floor or not, my DD drew all over a dry erase board with permanent marker.. Using a dry erase marker over the permanent marker and then erasing we were able to get it off.

:s:: I'm sorry, I agree that those things ought to come with child proof lids.

DD completely covered herself with a blue ink pen (inside her belly button, ears, etc) her walls as well. I was unable to get the pen off the wall (even using magic eraser) and she ended up looking like a smurf for about a week because we couldn't get it to wash off...

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#8 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 AM

My daughter did the same thing to our cabinets(white) and walls and doors. I haven't take it off yet because you dont see it unless its pointed out.

I was so upset...and i still get upset when i see it.

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#9 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 AM

The magic eraser will be less abrasive than a sander. At worst it would scratch up the polyurethane finish on the floor, and that can be replaced.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#10 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Def try the magic eraser - it has gotten permanet marker off our cabinets. Honestly, I wasn't really worried about the finish b/c I figured it can't look worse than it did with black marker all over it, yk? And they could always be re-finished if it came down to it (but they look fine now).

Good luck.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Neutrogena spray sunscreen!!! In the blue aerosol bottle.

I know it sounds crazy, but it gets permanent marker off of anything. It's a tip I read online a long time ago.

We've gotten BLACK permanent marker off of the floor, cabinets, walls, etc. with it.

Baby wipes (pampers swipers) can also work.

Magic eraser will ruin the finish on your floor, so I would only use it as a last resort.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#12 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Oh, that reminds me - my SIL was able to get black permanent marker off of her microsuede couch with hairspray. Just another idea for you.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM

My DD did the exact same thing with a black Sharpie. It was on the walls, stove, countertop, kitchen table, linoleum and her expensive unfinished wood kitchen! After crying and panicking I called the Sharpie customer service line. They recommended Amodex (amodexink.com). Between the Amodex, a Mr. Clean Eraser and a lot of elbow grease I was able to get all of it out. Don't panic Mama, it can be removed!

Oh, and the Amodex customer service lady told me to leave it alone until I had the product. Trying too many other stain removers (alcohol, oxyclean, etc.) can actually set the pen and make it difficult or impossible to remove.

lather, rinse, repeat
#14 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 07:09 PM

I need to bookmark this thread.
#15 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM

My little ones once did something similar with a black Sharpie and blue ballpoint pen all over our leather sofa. It's amazing how quickly they can cause chaos. I totally feel your pain. Please let us know how the magic eraser works Thinking of you!!!

"She also drew eyeballs on her own forehead"---I'm so sorry, but this made me crack a smile

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#16 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM

First, I cannot believe alcohol didnt work!
Second, Why do so many people love that nasty, toxic, damaging Magic Eraser product?
#17 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 PM

I like magic eraser because it takes off permanent marker. Which baking soda and viengar just can't touch. JMO. If you rent, it's practically a godsend
#18 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM

We have a friend that got sharpie off his desk and LCD computer monitor with toothpaste.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#19 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 PM

We've also had a lot of success with Baby Oxyclean (in the spray bottle) on a lot of surfaces. I have a dog that likes to eat pens.

Good luck mama!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#20 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
Second, Why do so many people love that nasty, toxic, damaging Magic Eraser product?
That's because those of us that RENT love our rather large security deposits.. I think nasty, toxic, damaging is just a wee bit alarmist. In an urgent situation you use what works.

And yeah, I was gonna suggest it too

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#21 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Take pictures because ONE DAY this will be funny...not for a while. But one day.

Hang in there.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#22 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm tempted to throw my sharpies in the outside trash can right this moment thanks to this thread I'd also suggest a magic eraser. My dd drew with ballpoint pen on furniture and it took it completely off. I also myself accidently got sharpie on my counter and it took it off.

If it makes you feel better, when my brother was a toddler he did that to the entire house the day before we were supposed to move. My mom thinks it is actually pretty funny now

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#23 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
Because it works remarkably well (or removemarkably well)
#24 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
. I think nasty, toxic, damaging is just a wee bit alarmist.
I could understand if it was being recommended for use on the forehead.. otherwise

I wipe with a wet rag afterwards if ive scrubbed something with one anyways
#25 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Christina View Post
I could understand if it was being recommended for use on the forehead.. otherwise

Actually.. I'm SURE I remember some mum, likely on this site as I don't hang anywhere else, doing exactly THAT. She posted a PSA that it leaves mad friction burns So yeah, not a good idea on skin. But on my walls & furniture... which nobody in our house is prone to licking these days, I'm game.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#26 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Neutrogena spray sunscreen!!! In the blue aerosol bottle.

I know it sounds crazy, but it gets permanent marker off of anything. It's a tip I read online a long time ago.

We've gotten BLACK permanent marker off of the floor, cabinets, walls, etc. with it.

Baby wipes (pampers swipers) can also work.

Magic eraser will ruin the finish on your floor, so I would only use it as a last resort.
Yeah, baby wipes didn't work, but the Neutrogena thing WOW! And people are supposed to use that on their skin? That is just scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Alden View Post
My DD did the exact same thing with a black Sharpie. It was on the walls, stove, countertop, kitchen table, linoleum and her expensive unfinished wood kitchen! After crying and panicking I called the Sharpie customer service line. They recommended Amodex (amodexink.com). Between the Amodex, a Mr. Clean Eraser and a lot of elbow grease I was able to get all of it out. Don't panic Mama, it can be removed!

Oh, and the Amodex customer service lady told me to leave it alone until I had the product. Trying too many other stain removers (alcohol, oxyclean, etc.) can actually set the pen and make it difficult or impossible to remove.
this was really helpful, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

"She also drew eyeballs on her own forehead"---I'm so sorry, but this made me crack a smile
I know, it is really funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
That's because those of us that RENT love our rather large security deposits.. I think nasty, toxic, damaging is just a wee bit alarmist. In an urgent situation you use what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Because it works remarkably well (or removemarkably well)
#27 of 37 Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 PM

Forgot to mention earlier when I posted... my middle child did this once before.. and he got it on CRAPET! (yes.. that'd be carpet.. just sharing my love of it lol). And would you believe I got the marker out of the carpet with a magic eraser??? I kid you not.. it ruffed up the pile (the carpet was truly crapet.. flattened down and awful) but the marker was gone

#28 of 37 Old 03-25-2010, 12:56 AM

Sorry mama, what a bummer. I do have to say that her "art" DOES sound very interesting. All those eyeballs. Too bad it didn't make it to the paper, right?

I don't know if you've found something that works yet, but thought I would throw this out there...

My DD colored ALL OVER my $700 sewing machine with an Sharpie one day. While it didn't effect the use of my machine, it sure made me feel crappy. I was staring at the stain for a few days feeling sad/mad/defeated when I remembered that my sister had told me a few days earlier that they use dry-erase markers at her work to get permanent marker off of the myriad surfaces that end up getting marked on. The gods were one my side that I remembered! I didn't really think it would work(thought it might be worse actually), but thought I would give it a shot. So I took a dry erase, drew over my daughters lines and rubbed with a dry rag... And the Sharpie came off!! I was amazed. It got all the marks off, no joke. The only sign that she ever did it is a slight orange tint on one area where there was a textured surface. It worked on the smooth surfaces like a dream. Maybe that would help with the stuff on the floor? Worth a shot maybe?

Good luck... I totally feel your pain. My 2.5 DD can't control her raging artistic impulses either(she came by it honest)... Chalk is the only art supply that is in reach without supervision(it washes so easy) though heaven knows the girl has a stash of markers somewhere crazy that I'll never find.

ETA: CRAPET?!?! <---*points and cackles madly* I have crapet too! *hahaha* I'll never call it carpet again.
#29 of 37 Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 AM

You got two choices - one is to find a solvent that the marker dissolves in. The other is to use abrasion. Magic eraser is abrasion, and it's just melamine. It's safe enough to eat off of, it's safe enough to clean my sneakers with. Solvents include alcohol, water, wet marker, or dry cleaning chemicals. There are the little k-something cleaners in the laundry aisle. Acetone is another good solvent. Personally, if it's good hardwood with a nice smooth finish, you can probably get it off with any type of cleaner and dilligent rubbing.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#30 of 37 Old 03-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Oh Boudicca! Totally laughing with you not at you (well, laughing with you in about 5 years when you look back and actually find this funny lol)

I swear we are living the same life!

A recent conversation in our house:

DS1 (as they walk down the stairs by a bunch of scribbling on the wall): "Look DS2, ancient writings!"

DS2: "Wow, cool"

Martha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page