Anyone with an Ikea bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a mattress and boxspring, but wanted to buy a bedframe from Ikea. Would that work? Or do you need to use their mattresses? I also noticed they don't use boxsprings, but have wooden slats...are those comfy?

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
#2 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 PM

We bought a metal frame from ikea last year for my dd. It is very sturdy and we just put our box frame and mattress with it, worked out well. hth....

:
#3 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 PM

We have an Ikea bed. The side rails can be lowered to accommodate a box spring, or you put it on the higher setting and use wood slats and a mattress. We did the latter, and it's very comfy. The bed's been taken apart and moved to 3 different homes, and it's still very sturdy.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#4 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 PM

We have a king-sized IKEA latex mattress on an IKEA bed frame. It was pretty inexpensive (comparatively speaking, anyway) and is comfortable!

We didn't ask if it was okay to use box springs and our own mattress, but the bed frame did come with those wooden slats (actually, you can choose which slat set you want--they all do different things). We really enjoy the simplicity and comfort of it.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 AM

We had a queen size frame with slats that we had a regular mattress and boxspring on, it was great. We now have their latex mattress on the suggested frame. It is also great. I have been very happy with both the bed frames and mattresses.
#6 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 01:23 AM
2xy

We have an Ikea frame (el cheapo model) and a Tempurpedic mattress. We've had it for four years and have had no trouble with it. The only thing I dislike is that the mattress is wicked heavy and floppy (king-sized) and it rests inside the frame rather than on top of it, so it's hard to change the sheets.
#7 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
We have an Ikea frame (el cheapo model) and a Tempurpedic mattress. We've had it for four years and have had no trouble with it. The only thing I dislike is that the mattress is wicked heavy and floppy (king-sized) and it rests inside the frame rather than on top of it, so it's hard to change the sheets.
I have the same cheapo frame and don't recommend it or any other frame made of particle board. I'm not sure that it will last through a second dismantle and reassemble, the next time we move. However, I also bought a metal bunk bed frame at IKEA that seems very sturdy and durable and like it will last a long time.

For a bed frame that comes with a midbeam, you have to have the slats. The slats are intended as a substitute for a box spring. So, I have the frame, slats and a latex mattress and I really like the way it feels. I imagine that you COULD put a box spring and a spring mattress on top of the slats but that is not what was intended. The slats are bent, you know, for flexibility and spring and it seems strange to me to put something so solid and inflexible on top. Maybe it is not that big of a deal, though, I haven't tried it.
#8 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 04:57 AM

We have the Hemnes bed in a king...is that what you meant? We love it.

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#9 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow - I'm sort of surprised to see so many people who like their ikea beds.

We really disliked ours. It looked fine & was comfortable enough but the slats turned out to be a giant pita. After a few months we started having problems with the slats crashing through the frame in the middle of the night. After awhile it started happening every. single. night. until I screwed a 2x4 into the frame across the center. The problem is that the side rails are flexible & a little flimsy so they would move some with our movements on the bed & then there was enough room for the slats to shift & fall.

It never happens to my in-laws (who have the same bed) but they have a boxspring, we did not as the reason we bought the bed was that a boxspring would not fit up our stairs.

We have friends who have had the exact same problem we've had.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 AM

We do have a boxspring but we've also screwed the slats in on our king. Dd has a bed with similar slats (but not Ikea) and no boxspring and my 3yo ds broke a couple of the slats jumping on the bed.

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#11 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM

we have 2 ikea beds. sometimes you need to add extra slats, for bigger people.
#12 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mom3 View Post
I have the same cheapo frame and don't recommend it or any other frame made of particle board. I'm not sure that it will last through a second dismantle and reassemble, the next time we move.
Yeah, but for $130, I really didn't expect something indestructible. We, too, have moved once with this frame, and will move again at some point. If it breaks, oh well. It's served its purpose.
#13 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
MJB

We "made" a king-sized bed out of two twin-sized metal IKEA beds, since we didn't like any of the affordable king-sized beds. We just put it together with the sides upside down, and put a giant piece of plywood across them both to use as a base. We have a king-sized IKEA mattress on top of that.
I love our bed, it was cheap, is sturdy, looks cool, and is easy to assemble/dissemble.
My kids have IKEA mattresses on an IKEA bunk bed. The slats on it do sometimes come out because they mess with them from the bottom bunk.
#14 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

We really disliked ours. It looked fine & was comfortable enough but the slats turned out to be a giant pita. After a few months we started having problems with the slats crashing through the frame in the middle of the night. After awhile it started happening every. single. night. until I screwed a 2x4 into the frame across the center. The problem is that the side rails are flexible & a little flimsy so they would move some with our movements on the bed & then there was enough room for the slats to shift & fall.

It never happens to my in-laws (who have the same bed) but they have a boxspring, we did not as the reason we bought the bed was that a boxspring would not fit up our stairs.

We have friends who have had the exact same problem we've had.
This happened to my sister and her husband too.

My daughter has an Ikea bed and the slats come with screws to attach them to the frame.

#15 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 06:29 PM

We have a metal IKEA bedframe with a mattress and boxspring on it. We already had the mattress set and just needed a new frame. It fits, and works just fine.

It appears on their website that they have different types of slats. Perhaps some are meant more for occasional use, and others for every day, and that is why people are having problems? Just a guess though.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#16 of 16 Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, lots responses! Thank you for all your input. I wanted to keep my mattress and boxspring, but wasn't sure how it would work because the beds in the catalogue don't have boxsprings. But we'll make it work!

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page