How many mice is too many mice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a (relatively!) good housekeeper, but on occasion mice have gotten into our house... maybe 3-4 in the last 6 years. Now it seems I have a mouse hotel in, of all places, under my kitchen stove. In the last 5 days we've caught 5 mice!

When do I call an exterminator? My snap traps (sorry any PETA people ) are working fine. Can't figure out where they're getting in, unless there's a hole under my stove I don't know about.

I'm not squeamish about them so that part doesn't bother me. It's just the principle of the thing...

TIA!

Wife, mother of 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 PM

We've had a few mice this year also. We put some really bad poison cubes down & haven't seen them back. I don't feel bad either--I don't want rodents in my home. We are looking for the source of entry & haven't found it yet.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#3 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 PM

find the source of entry because if it were me, 5 in 5 days would have me going up the wall. at this point I would call an exterminator if this doesnt stop soon.

we have had rodents in our house, its an old house and we live in a woodsy area so it happens.... but as soon as we get some droppings I put out traps and go to town.

We also keep a have a hart trap that we always keep up because that is safe for the kids and pets, yet if we catch one it lets us know that they are running around again.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#4 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 02:09 PM

oh and there very well might be a hole under your stove. a couple months ago our dishwasher stopped working. it was just a year old so we pulled it out and found that a rodent had eaten through one of the water tubes, we also found a HUGE hole that they had eaten through our sheetrock. they can and do eat through that and when we had a drought last summer they must have been desperate for water and came into our house that way.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#5 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 02:31 PM

I'm LOL because I don't think this belongs under decluttering! One uninvited mouse is too many mice, in my opinion!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for me....one!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Hiya!

I'm going to pop this into The Mindful Home where home maintenance questions go.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#8 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One. One mouse is too many. One.

If you have one, you have many, and five in five days is WAY too many. They surely have pups somewhere nearby, and you need to kill everybody before they *really* give you a problem.

Call an exterminator. Now. Trust me, I've been down this road and you don't want to have an infestation of mega-proportions, which you will because the way mice reproduce is... amazing. Call. Today.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Yes, for me, one is too many cause they can carry disease. I'd find the entry so I could stop them and stop killing them?

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#10 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe you just had one or two mice but they had a litter that is now grown enough to roam, rather than having 5 or 6 having come from outside. They start breeding at only 2 months old or something. One mouse is too many because it will find a mate and you'll suddenly have a half dozen.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#11 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 PM

Yup, we're dealing with an infestation now. Ours are roof rats though, and are similar to mice. They look just like mice but are a tiny bit bigger. They come in off of trees and get into our attic. We have many and it didn't take long at all. They are dangerous in several ways--they care nasty diseases, they carry fleas which they can transmit to pets and people, and they can chew wires insise your walls which is a fire hazard. They are capable of damage of all sorts. Trust me, they're bad. I LOVE animals, and I find these nasty little rodents to be sooo cute, and I'm sorry they have to die, but I do not want them in my home with my family!! We actually have an exterminator coming tomorrow.

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#12 of 20 Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 AM

1 mouse is too many. I've dealt with mouse infestations, and 1 mouse quickly turns into 15, and they're leaving droppings everywhere, and bringing fleas and they will eat your food and it is a gross problem.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#13 of 20 Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Ok, I hate to say this, because whenever I do, it changes! So, *knock on wood* we had a couple mice this winter, set out some snap traps and that was the end of that. I've seen mice outside the house but haven't heard them inside for about 2 months now. The problem only lasted for about a month, during the coldest part of winter. HTH

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#14 of 20 Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Maybe you just had one or two mice but they had a litter that is now grown enough to roam, rather than having 5 or 6 having come from outside. They start breeding at only 2 months old or something. One mouse is too many because it will find a mate and you'll suddenly have a half dozen.
Yep, that has been my experience. Mice came into our house after living there more than 10 years without a mouse. For several days, I was setting new traps faster than I could clear the "full" traps. That took care of the problem until the weather got cold. Now, a trap goes down at the first sign of a dropping. So far, so good.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#15 of 20 Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

OK, no mice in 5 days... am I out of the woods? No mousey "evidence" either...

Wife, mother of 2
#16 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 AM

Rodents hate peppermint oil. So your house may smell like a candy cane for awhile, but if they come back, set cotton balls soaked in the essential oil around the places they are coming in and they should vamoose!

(imho, *one* mouse is too many, and it's time to get a cat! )

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#17 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 PM

I agree, One is One too many!

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#18 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 AM

Have you thought about getting a mouser? I like rodents. Love them. Have a problem with snap traps (not a PETA member, I detest PETA). But have no problem with a cat killing and eating one. Food chain at that point. Also the scent of a cat can be a deterrent from mice returning. Our girl killed 3. The rest haven't come back.
#19 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grace- View Post
Have you thought about getting a mouser? I like rodents. Love them. Have a problem with snap traps (not a PETA member, I detest PETA). But have no problem with a cat killing and eating one. Food chain at that point. Also the scent of a cat can be a deterrent from mice returning. Our girl killed 3. The rest haven't come back.

We have two cats. Over 6 years they have caught and killed 2 mice that we know of. In our case I don't think we had an infestation, just one or two random mice that came in from outdoors in bad weather. We tried traps, never caught anything, but our cats took care of the problem for us anyway.
#20 of 20 Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 AM

Please, please don't ever use poison! Our cat died of D-Con poisoning last summer (most likely from eating a recently poisoned mouse).

It could be the most horribly painful and full of suffering way to die.

Hope you find something that works.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page