Calling all owners of cast iron waffle iron makers! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you please share your experiences using these things. My dc are begging me for waffles and I just cannot bring myself to use the nonstick waffle maker sitting in the bottom of the pantry. This is a very sore subject w/dh and I because he bought it for me for Xmas a few years ago and I have never used it. He knows I don't use nonstick so I'm not sure what he was thinking. I do feel badly about not using it, though, because it was very expensive, he did all of this research to get the best one (one that you turn/flip over), and I think he had to pay extra to get it here on time for Xmas.

Anyway, I am considering the cast iron one to use on the stovetop, but I'm just not sure. Can you give me the real scoop on using these things. I have a smooth cooktop so I don't even know if it would work on there.

TIA

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#2 of 31 Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 PM

Check the Amazon reviews, but I'm pretty sure I read (when I was doing my own waffle research) that you shouldn't use them on a smooth cook top.

I have both and prefer the toxic non-stick. The cast iron that I have takes longer to cook, is trickier to use (has a hinged lid and must be timed vs filling, shutting and forgetting). The waffles are thinner and crispier, too, more like Eggos. If you like thinner crispy waffles, you'll be happy, but if you prefer fluffy soft waffles I think non-stick is your best option.
swede likes this.
#3 of 31 Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 PM

I researched waffle irons a few years ago and came to the conclusion that I was willing to put up w/ nonstick for waffles and waffles only. I like fluffy waffles, not thin crispy ones and as such know the cast iron just isn't for me. I'm sure you can use it on glass top stoves though (they say that abuot all cast iron )
swede likes this.
#4 of 31 Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 AM

I have a cast iron belgium waffle maker. I LOVE IT!!! I have always hated making waffles until I got this one, and now I make good ones everytime...

It is 90 years old, though (dh's great grandparent's neighbors gave it to them for a gift when his grandma was little and she is 90 now, what a cool story... they don't make stuff like that now), so is VERY well seasoned. I have a gas stove, so I don't know about the smooth cooktop.
#5 of 31 Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 PM

we use the cast iron as i will never use non-stick anything again. it definitely had a learning curve and needed to be properly seasoned to work well. i use a brush to get oil in all the nooks and crannies which helps (a sprayer would work well also) it works great most of the time and is frustrating once in a while when it has stuck on crumbs or something that makes it stick....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#6 of 31 Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

That almost 100 year old iron sounds great! I didn't know something like that existed.

I think that we will just stick to buying the frozen organic waffles from the market every once in a while as a special treat (hmm, I wonder what they're cooked on? ) and just keep our fingers crossed that maybe Lodge will come out w/a preseasoned one sometime soon!

#7 of 31 Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 PM

I have the cast iron stove top ones and I like them

I love belgian ones too but won't use non stick, so hopefully someone will eventually come out with a cool electric cast iron one!

The key with these (like most cast iron) is you have to get them really hot first, then brush liberally with butter (or whatever you use), then add the batter. Repeat each time. They are smallish and thin and crispy - yes, much like the frozen nature's path ones I buy sometimes instead I have 2 so I can get several cooked up more quickly. It does take some getting used to and getting a good seasoning helps a lot, but they are inexpensive and I say worth it

You would need to be very careful on your stove though - the cast iron can scratch or crack the surface. I've only used them on gas and regular electric stoves.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#8 of 31 Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM

I have to admit that I use the non-stick waffle maker. We have a flip-type also and they work really well - so your DH chose well (aside from the non-stick, of course!). We got one to replace our previous (also non-stick) waffle maker and I don't know if I can go back to non-flip ones. Do you suppose when you buy pre-made waffles, are they using a non-stick equipment? I would imagine in a manufacturing facility they need to do what is quick and low maintenance.

You would have to be careful with a cast-iron one on a glass top stove, but if you use cast-iron cookware anyway then it may not be that different, though you'd be moving it around more.
#9 of 31 Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I really wish there was a store around me that carried it so that I could see it in person. I would really like to pick it up and get a feel for it.

I am not worried about damage to my glass cooktop as I use cast iron on it all the time. I was worried about using it at first, but have called the manufacturer (kitchenaid) twice about it and both times each person confirmed that it was ok to use on the cooktop. I just didn't know if there would be enough surface contact to get hot enough. I do have a single, portable electric coil burner that I could use it with if the glass didn't work. Some reviews indicated that electric coil worked w/it just fine.

Anyway,
Thanks again and happy waffling! :-)

#10 of 31 Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM

I got a cast iron waffle maker for xmas and I love it! I don't like non-stick coating so we were waffle-free for a long time until I got this one. It's taken a bit to season it and it also takes longer to cook the waffles, but it's been worth it in my opinion.
I have this one

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#11 of 31 Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWmama View Post
I got a cast iron waffle maker for xmas and I love it! I don't like non-stick coating so we were waffle-free for a long time until I got this one. It's taken a bit to season it and it also takes longer to cook the waffles, but it's been worth it in my opinion.
I have this one
Yes! That's the one I was looking at recently. What type of stovetop do you use it with? Was it hard to get the wax off?

#12 of 31 Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I have this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmom View Post
Yes! That's the one I was looking at recently. What type of stovetop do you use it with? Was it hard to get the wax off?
Not PP, but that is what I have too To remove the wax, my husband heated them on the stove top with the window cracked while it kind of smoked off then washed them well and proceeded with seasoning. That was at our old house with a gas stove and no vent. We now have and electric stove - coil type (and I miss my gas!!!).

#13 of 31 Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
Not PP, but that is what I have too To remove the wax, my husband heated them on the stove top with the window cracked while it kind of smoked off then washed them well and proceeded with seasoning. That was at our old house with a gas stove and no vent. We now have and electric stove - coil type (and I miss my gas!!!).
This is basically what I did too to get the wax off.. We have an electric stove with coil burners.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#14 of 31 Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 AM

I think you should use the one you already have. We have been eating waffles cooked on a nonstick waffle maker for a very, very long time and we don't even have horns!

hang.gif  

#15 of 31 Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmom View Post
I think that we will just stick to buying the frozen organic waffles from the market every once in a while as a special treat (hmm, I wonder what they're cooked on? )
nonstick!
#16 of 31 Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Yep, and then wrapped in plastic, cardboard, and shipped who knows how many miles. And they're expensive. So I opt for making whole grain, blueberry, chocolate chips, cinnamon, or whatever flavor I want, when I want, on my nonstick waffle maker (which was a wedding gift). It's our only piece of non-stick cookware. Doesn't off-gas and doesn't get dangerously hot. Yay waffles!

hang.gif  

#17 of 31 Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 AM

Well great, now I want waffles and I don't have a non-stick or a cast iron waffle maker. Serves me right for clicking on this thread while I'm hungry!

lather, rinse, repeat
#18 of 31 Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I have this one
That's the one I have and it's sitting unused in a drawer. It comes completely unseasoned, but even after seasoning it I have to heavily butter/oil it w/ each use, which leads to thin fried crispy waffle goodness. That's why it's in a drawer--I like soft fluffy waffles for breakfast. The waffles the cast iron makes remind me of something I might get at the State Fair. Seriously, the waffles it makes aren't like a waffle you may be used to eating, unless you're thinking "waffle cone".
#19 of 31 Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
That's the one I have and it's sitting unused in a drawer. It comes completely unseasoned, but even after seasoning it I have to heavily butter/oil it w/ each use, which leads to thin fried crispy waffle goodness. That's why it's in a drawer--I like soft fluffy waffles for breakfast. The waffles the cast iron makes remind me of something I might get at the State Fair. Seriously, the waffles it makes aren't like a waffle you may be used to eating, unless you're thinking "waffle cone".
We are gluten free so our waffles aren't like regular waffles. Perhaps that's why I like our cast iron waffle maker so much. I also have to heavily oil it each time, but I don't mind. I had to oil our nonstick on each time as well . We had to get rid of our nonstick waffle iron because it was gluten-tainted and I'm glad we went with the cast iron. I'm a big cast iron lover, though

#20 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Alden View Post
Well great, now I want waffles and I don't have a non-stick or a cast iron waffle maker. Serves me right for clicking on this thread while I'm hungry!

I completely understand.... There are times when pancakes or french toast just won't do!!

#21 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this info... It is good to know. I must say, though, I have never met a waffle cone I didn't like!

I'm beginning to think that non-stick is the only way to get fluffy waffles - if that's what you're after. I think even the aluminum waffle makers of yesteryear were very thin, not fluffy or belgian. ? Not that I would use aluminum, either... just saying.

I don't think my dc would care if the waffles were flat or fluffy.... they're that desperate!

I think we should all petition lodge to make a preseasoned, cast iron, waffle maker... electric or stovetop, flat or fluffy - makes no difference/I'm not picky!

#22 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 PM

So funny that I clicked on this thread today. I have had the same cast iron waffle iron (link up-thread) for a few years. I seasoned it several times & never got an edible waffle from it until today! Apparently it is finally seasoned & I did reapply the CO with each waffle! I have a glass top electric stove as well, my concern was that when I flipped the iron over I had CO come out every time onto my burner. Now I have a stain on my brand new stove that I'm not sure how to remove??? Any advice? The waffles came out ok but were tough to me, reminded me of angel food cake that is hard to cut & eat. I did the egg yolks & whites separate as I've seen that technique recommended in many places, & didn't over beat the whites. so I don't know if I'll use it again any time soon? I'd love an electric Belgium waffle maker with cast iron plates!!! LODGE people are you reading this???

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#23 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Seriously, the waffles it makes aren't like a waffle you may be used to eating, unless you're thinking "waffle cone".
While mine are definitely thinner and crispier than belgian waffles, they are not hard like waffle cones! : I like the way they come out, though fluffy waffles are quite nice, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post
I'd love an electric Belgium waffle maker with cast iron plates!!! LODGE people are you reading this???
Me, too!!! Let's start a write in campaign! :

#24 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
While mine are definitely thinner and crispier than belgian waffles, they are not hard like waffle cones! : I like the way they come out, though fluffy waffles are quite nice, too
Waffle cone was the best I could come up w/, but you're right, they aren't like a waffle cone, they taste like they have 1000 more fat calories! Mmmmm, crispy fried goodness. I kept it just so I could use it for desserts.
#25 of 31 Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post
Now I have a stain on my brand new stove that I'm not sure how to remove??? Any advice?
Try Bar Keeper's Friend. It usually works very well on the cooktop!

#26 of 31 Old 05-02-2010, 04:53 PM

I had an electric, Bosch waffle iron with cast iron, removable plates (that flipped over for grilled cheese/panini) that I got at a yard sale in the late 90's. Unfortunately, I passed it along before I knew better about non-stick when I got a fancy non-stick on for my wedding (which I'm not looking to replace too).

I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore, but you never know what you'll find at a yard sale or thrift store!
#27 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMom View Post
I had an electric, Bosch waffle iron with cast iron, removable plates (that flipped over for grilled cheese/panini) that I got at a yard sale in the late 90's. Unfortunately, I passed it along before I knew better about non-stick when I got a fancy non-stick on for my wedding (which I'm not looking to replace too).

I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore, but you never know what you'll find at a yard sale or thrift store!
Thanks for this... good to know!

#28 of 31 Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM

Hi...I have a very old Taylor Forbes made in Canada, cast iron waffle maker. It has wooden handles that sort of pulled off nail like projections. It has been in a box in the basement for years, as I had no idea it could be used on my electric stove. Mum used it inside the cover hole on her woodstove. It was rusty so I cleaned it with an sos pad and it is now lightly oiled with lard and is cooking upside down in the oven at 350 deg. I just finished seasoning a cast iron muffin tin. I used melted shortning to do that one...have no idea which is best??  I also have several cast iron frying pans.  I can't wait to try making waffles...so glad I found this site.

Desertstorm40 in N.B.

#29 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Hello...have a look at one exactly like mine. The link is below. I sure would love to know how old it is. I can't seem to find that information. Anyone have any info?

Desertstorm 40 in N.B.

http://etherwork.net/ejmtph/recipes/photopages/waffleiron.html

#30 of 31 Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM

In another link on that page the owner says it is circa 1920's. it's on the page with the recipes.

Now I want waffles.

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page