What temp for central A/C? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dad is retired, so it is on 72 all day and night long now. When he was still working they had it fixed so it came on to 72 about an hour before they were coming home.

I also have to have a window unit upstairs in my room because it is in the finished attic and the regular AC isn't enough to cool it off up there.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I do live in Canada. Southern Ontario and it gets hot here in the summer. It has been 30C+/86F+ all week here and it is only May. My igloo melted in February!
I'm a weather geek, and your weather up there is nothing compared to the heat down here in our subtropical climate. No comparison really. We had our hottest summer on record last year, and our AC broke in the middle of it. It was miserable...you really can't know what it's like unless you experience it. The average temp including daily highs AND lows was 90 for two months straight. That is hot.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM

There are places in the desert that get up to the 120's in the summer. Not having AC would be a death wish. Yes, there are ways to keep cool besides air conditioning, but most people can't spend 24 hours a day standing in a cold shower.

I live in NM, and we probably could survive w/o AC by finding creative ways to stay cool during the hotter months - now, I have absolutely no desire to do so, environmentally friendly or not. I made it until 8:30 this morning sleeping before our bedroom was too hot and I had to go flip it on. We do have huge windows, though...But really, plenty of places (such as parts of CA, NV, AZ, and Texas - not to mention other parts of the world like Bangladesh where my brother recently spent 6 months), get insanely hot - and AC truly is a need.

It's easy to say it's not a necessity if you haven't experienced life in a place with really high temps (I'm talking over 100 degrees, even at night).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 PM

Oh yeah the desert is much worse than here in Austin. There's a reason it is so sparsely populated.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:58 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
dry heat and wet heat are two very diff things! 90 here in Colorado in NOT the same as 90 in Minnesota! the humidity is out of control in Minnesota. it makes it feel much hotter and your always wet! if i recall right they we at 99 with 80% humidity last week. yuck! and its only may!

here in Colorado i can get away without AC until mid July then its on and i run if at about 70-75. i do have fans in every.single.room so that helps a lot and if i did not have the fans i would have to turn it on much sooner.

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:59 PM

hh2.gif

Old 05-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
I'm a weather geek, and your weather up there is nothing compared to the heat down here in our subtropical climate. No comparison really. We had our hottest summer on record last year, and our AC broke in the middle of it. It was miserable...you really can't know what it's like unless you experience it. The average temp including daily highs AND lows was 90 for two months straight. That is hot.
thats not totally true!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 PM

I think it's all relative - and some people cope with the heat better than others. When we lived in CO I considered AC a luxury - and about half of the places we rented didn't have it (we did buy a window unit a few years back, so that helped). But, here, it is dryer and hotter and more uncomfy. That all said, I can tolerate 100 degree temperature in California more than I can stand 80 degrees in Florida. The humidity makes me feel disgusting, and I would take the hottest day at Disneyland over the hottest day at Disneyworld, for example. Some people can't handle dry heat, but do okay with humid heat.

eta: and for the record, I am sitting outside right now in the back yard where it's got to be like 90 degrees... I'm okay besides the dang boob sweat. but I know I can go inside to cool off when needed.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I think it's all relative - and some people cope with the heat better than others. When we lived in CO I considered AC a luxury - and about half of the places we rented didn't have it (we did buy a window unit a few years back, so that helped). But, here, it is dryer and hotter and more uncomfy. That all said, I can tolerate 100 degree temperature in California more than I can stand 80 degrees in Florida. The humidity makes me feel disgusting, and I would take the hottest day at Disneyland over the hottest day at Disneyworld, for example. Some people can't handle dry heat, but do okay with humid heat.

eta: and for the record, I am sitting outside right now in the back yard where it's got to be like 90 degrees... I'm okay besides the dang boob sweat. but I know I can go inside to cool off when needed.
you said it so well. right down to the dang boob sweat.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM

We keep ours around 75. Once we get a programmable thermostat and once I'm back at work, we'll keep it warmer, maybe 78 or so, during the day. I could really bump it up to about 77 or so even now, but then in a few minutes the baby will cry and I'll nurse her and she is like my little portable furnace and makes me hot.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 05-31-2010, 02:31 AM

We keep ours at 78 when we are home. 80 when we are not. With ceiling fans going it isn't too bad. I had a coworker who set hers in the mid 80s because she couldn't afford to cool it down more....Her bill was double mine. Turns out the unit was old and failing. Her slumlord never got it worked on... She complained, but couldn't do anything. She still lives there and is already dealing with it.

Got any idea what to do with a 3 year old with endless energy when it hits 115?? Let me know.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I don't know where you live but I do know that in the summer here it is 30C+ plus high humidity for 2 straight months of the year. We are also experiencing record highs.

Anyway I just thought those articles were really interesting that's all.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I don't know here you live but I do know that in the summer here it is 30C+ plus high humidity for 2 straight months of the year. We are also experiencing record highs.

Anyway I just thought those articles were really interesting that's all.
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that it's hard to imagine the heat that parts of the world have if you don't really have any experience with it.

From a website on Ontario,
Quote:
The average temperatures in July range from 23 C (74 F) in Southwestern Ontario, to 19 C (64 F) in Eastern Ontario.
It may get into the high 80s or even the low 90s during the summer where you are, but the average temp is still quite low, which means that you get lower temps at night and breaks in the daytime heat, too. Imagine the worst heat wave you've ever had and then imagine it even hotter and that it lasts from May through September/October without a break.

The articles were interesting, though!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:30 AM

last summer I went without thinking my Central Air was broken, turned out it just needed a new filter . When I do use it, I turn it on at night during non-peak hours (I also don't do laundry or run heavy machinery during peak hours or ozone action days), then I keep the house completely closed, shades drawn until it gets too warm (maybe around 3 in the afternoon depending), if possible I again wait until after peak hours to turn it back on, and depending where the sun is I open windows to air out house. I keep my bills pretty low this way

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that it's hard to imagine the heat that parts of the world have if you don't really have any experience with it.

From a website on Ontario,

It may get into the high 80s or even the low 90s during the summer where you are, but the average temp is still quite low, which means that you get lower temps at night and breaks in the daytime heat, too. Imagine the worst heat wave you've ever had and then imagine it even hotter and that it lasts from May through September/October without a break.

The articles were interesting, though!
That website says that those are the seasonal lows, not highs. Websites have been know to be inaccurate from time to time.

Right now on my deck in the sun it is 37C/99F. And don't forget to add 5-10C to that for the humidity. Did I mention it's May?

Yes the articles were interesting. I am glad I planted trees when I moved in. In a few years my house will be so cool.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
That website says that those are the seasonal lows, not highs. Websites have been know to be inaccurate from time to time.

Right now on my deck in the sun it is 37C/99F. And don't forget to add 5-10C to that for the humidity. Did I mention it's May?

Yes the articles were interesting. I am glad I planted trees when I moved in. In a few years my house will be so cool.
Actually, it's the average temperature which factors in the daily highs and lows. Just google Ontario temperature averages, and you'll see what I'm talking about as I don't have time right now to find and post links. I also did a quick look at forecasts for the province, too, and it looks like your heat wave will be breaking soon. Enjoy the 70s you'll be having in the next few days.

All the tall mature trees over my house definitely don't make it cool in summer. Wish they did but not in this climate.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's the average temperature which factors in the daily highs and lows. Just google Ontario temperature averages, and you'll see what I'm talking about as I don't have time right now to find and post links. I also did a quick look at forecasts for the province, too, and it looks like your heat wave will be breaking soon. Enjoy the 70s you'll be having in the next few days.

All the tall mature trees over my house definitely don't make it cool in summer. Wish they did but not in this climate.
Will do.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:

i have lived in Savanna GA and i will say that MN and GA have a lot in common with heat. i think diff people have diff feeling about were they live and the heat there. no need to prove what is worse.. it is what it is and it is not the same to everyone.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
i have lived in Savanna GA and i will say that MN and GA have a lot in common with heat. i think diff people have diff feeling about were they live and the heat there. no need to prove what is worse.. it is what it is and it is not the same to everyone.
I was only pointing out that the climates are different, which they are, no matter one's personal feelings about them.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM

81. In Iowa, so we get some humid days. I figure it is summer time and we are supposed to be warmer than we are in winter I feel guilty using the extra energy if I set it any lower. I will however set it a degree or two lower for special guests. Basement is much cooler.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 AM

Ahh, this is one of those questions that so subjective (even though it seems it should be objective).

We live in the South. We keep ours around 77 during the day and raise it up to 80 at night in the parts of the house we're not sleeping. I should mention, however, that the temp I set it at has a lot less to do with the ambient air temperature and more to do with the humidity. This spring I had to drop it a couple of degrees cooler because the A/C wasn't running frequently enough to pull the moisture out of the air. Now that it's hotter and the A/C runs regularly that's not an issue.

When I live in Boston I went without A/C. There would typically be two or three miserably hot weeks in the summer, but for the most part, I could do just fine with the windows open and some fans running.

Humidity makes a HUGE difference in comfort levels. And it makes a difference to your home too. I had a friend who turned the A/C off while she was out of town for the summer--when she came back there was mold growing in the back of closets and on her clothes. A/C isn't really a luxury in the South.

Not to mention, thermostats are not all that accurate. You can't really rely on it to tell you the temperature inside your house and definitely not in comparison to anyone else's. Just set it where you feel comfortable and if that feels wasteful to you, bump it up a few degrees from that point.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Usually it's at 70. Our house is only 1000 sq ft so it's about $150-$175 to run it during the summer.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM

I live outside of Tampa, Florida. So really hot, and crazy sticky awful humid: check: got both!

We keep it set at 82 during the day, and turn it down to 79 at night, with the ceilfing fan on medium when we go to bed.

Our house is made of cement, and it is well -shaded (for the most part). I also line dry all of our clothes and rarely use the oven, so that helps to cut down on accidentally heating the house. When I get warm while cooking, I just drag our upright fan to the kitchen and it works great. We also use compact flourescents, and turn the computer off whenever we aren't using it. ETA our house is about 1000 sf.

I am convinced you can acclimate to the heat. Our a/c went out a few weeks ago (before it got hideously humid) and with the fans and tank tops and shorts, we were ok. I was glad when it was fixed though!

I am, however, mericless about using as much a/c in the cars as I want to! Even so, I often need to take a quick, cool shower right before bed.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif

User Tag List