What temp for central A/C? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After 3 years of living here, we FINALLY have air conditioning in our house. It was installed a week ago, and just in time! It's supposed to be in the 90s this week.

I don't remember from the last time we had A/C, so what temp do you keep your thermostat set at in the summer? Do you keep it consistent, or does it change throughout the day?

Since we turned it on yesterday, we've had it set at 74. It feels really comfortable, but I seem to remember keeping it set higher the last time we had A/C.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#2 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 PM

We live in a very hot summer climate, so we have to keep ours at 80-82. If we kept it at 74, we would seriously have a $400 or more bill for the month.
#3 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM

We keep ours at 74 at the moment, we are in Louisiana. It keeps it comfortable though once we get ceiling fans put it in upstairs I think we might bump it up to 75 or 76.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#4 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 PM

We keep it between 78 and 80. It can get really hot here and if we kept it lower than that we would be paying out the **** for it.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 PM

70-72, sometimes lower... I do flip it on and off, though. But yeah, it costs $$$ to keep 3k sq ft cool. That's what we get for living in the desert.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 PM

We have a programmable thermostat which, if I recall correctly, is set for 25C (77F) during the day and 23C (73F?) at night. Right now we're still holding off on turning on the AC and using fans, but I think we'll need it soon, possibly later this week.
#7 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 PM

We keep ours set to 68 all summer. Ours has heat as well and we keep it at 68 all winter as well. I refuse to be uncomfortably hot in my home I cant stand the feeling of being sweaty.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 53 Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 PM

It can get really hot where we live so we keep ours constantly on auto and set at 74 for pretty much the entire summer. Luckily these past few days it's been a little windy and cloudy so we haven't had to turn it on yet. Then again it's still only springtime.
B.T.W, Isn't having an A/C awesome?! Anywhere we move my first question is does it have central a/c and a gas stove..lol.

~The Mrs.-A.K.A Mommy loveeyes.gif ~
Happily married to 1 kewl.gif (4/4/2004) & SAHM to 3-DS(3) jog.gif ,DD1(6) notes.gif,DD2(1)babyf.gif

#9 of 53 Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#10 of 53 Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Off.
#11 of 53 Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM

My DH sets it at 78 when he's home. When he's gone I usually bump it down a degree or two if I get hot during the middle of the day.

I like reading that others keep it so much lower, I was feeling guilty or self-indulgent or something about turning it down more! He will love to hear me say, "well on MDC..."

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 53 Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 PM

we live in the northeast. We set it for 72 during the day and 70 when we go to bed as we always get too warm when we sleep.
#13 of 53 Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM

We have ours set for 78 most of the time. There are moments we may bump it down to 76 or 77 b/c we've been cooking and the heat is retained or the kids are running around like maniacs and creating a lot of body heat , but I try really hard for 78. We also use our ceiling fans as much as possible to keep the cool air moving through the house.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#14 of 53 Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 PM

We keep ours around 78 if we are just sitting and reading or doing schoolwork on the 'puters. When I'm cooking or we're more active, I put it at 75.

My dh does HVAC work as a side business. Remember that if you keep your thermostat set to "cool" and "on" instead of "auto" the compressor isn't coming on as often because you feel cooler w/the moving air.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#15 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 02:38 AM

78 at the moment, but I try and keep it as high as possible, so I'll bump it up as the summer progresses. I find that the drying effect of the A/C is more important even than the cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
Off.
You don't live where I live.
#16 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 AM

Yeah, here in AZ, we get news reports of people dying every summer because they either don't have A/C or leave it off because they can't afford it. It's a must!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#17 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 AM

Ours is set at 78, sometimes 76 if it is especially hot out. Our kids get heinous heat rash so on days when it is 90+ out, we have to set the temp inside lower to compensate for heat buildup in the upper levels of the house. The temps here now are around 86 during the day, and at 78 it is still sometimes a bit warm when we go to bed.

We could never afford to keep it at or below 76 for extended periods of time.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#18 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 AM

Ah, I so wish we could afford to keep it at 70.

As it is, we keep it around 75 or 76. That's a bit misleading, though. Our thermostat is in the coolest part of the coolest room in the house. So, keeping it at 75 keeps the upstairs around 78 or 79 degrees.

I totally splurge on AC. I hate to be hot. In the winter, we keep our heat on 60, and we just put on a sweater. But, you can't get more nekkid than nekkid, you know?
#19 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
74, and I'm super comfortable with it there. The house is fairly efficient so the bill isn't killing us, but I do feel wasteful anyway, like I ought to be just a little too warm when it's 85+ outside.
#20 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 PM

There is no way we could keep ours off. Plus we have an elderly woman here who could get really sick. My dh is going to fix a woman's a/c tonight. She called and has a 6 mo old baby, a 12 yo w/tuberculosis, and a cancer patient. They just cannot be hot.

I remember once when it was super hot out and my dh was a volunteer firefighter. He went on a call for an elderly woman who had a heat stroke because they couldn't afford to get their a/c fixed. They had been told it would be $1300 to fix it. My dh went back later to see if he could look at their unit and fix it cheaper. He did. It took him about $3 of a special tape to fix it--all their a/c was going out under their house! I just remember he couldn't sit still that night until he decided to go try to fix it. It gets easily over 100 and the last few years the humidity has been horrid!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#21 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 03:31 PM

I keep mine at 78-80. We have ceiling fans in the bedroom and that helps a lot.
#22 of 53 Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 PM

I rarely run our AC and it broke last summer and I haven't fixed it yet so for most of last summer and so far this year, it hasn't run at all.

I am in the process of getting it fixed but even then, I will pretty much keep it off unless it gets above 80 in the house. Then I will turn it on and set it to 78. Once the outside temp goes back down, the AC will go off.

Luckily, where i live, it gets cool enough at night to cool the house down so I just open all the windows.
#23 of 53 Old 05-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Between 72 and 75. Here in TX, there is no way we could keep it off without it getting at least into the 90s in the house for months at a time. We don't run the heater much in the winter, though.
#24 of 53 Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 AM

We keep ours on 72 all the time. We're in Louisiana, where it gets incredibly hot & miserably humid.
#25 of 53 Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 AM

Usually 80 in the summer sometimes 75 on very warm days. The house holds cool well.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#26 of 53 Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
We keep ours on 72 all the time. We're in Louisiana, where it gets incredibly hot & miserably humid.
SAME! But we're in Mississippi (about five minutes out of Louisiana). And once you let the house get hot, it takes forever to get it cool again. I would rather sit around in the dark and give up hot water than sweat inside.

As someone else pointed out, we almost never run the heat. We can go years without turning it on (we just add more clothes. We're nosebleeders).
#27 of 53 Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
78 at the moment, but I try and keep it as high as possible, so I'll bump it up as the summer progresses. I find that the drying effect of the A/C is more important even than the cooling.

You don't live where I live.
How do you know where I live? Really I'm not trying to put anyone down here I'm just saying there are other options out there other than A/C.

I live where it is 37C/95F degrees + 50-100% humidity in the summer. The house easily gets to 32C/90F during the day without cooking in the house.

We have fans and a ceiling fan in our bedroom and I try not to bake or cook a lot of heat intensive meals on really hot days. I am hoping to set up a bit of an outdoor kitchen this summer as well.

I do have to run a dehumidifier in the basement because my DD has a bedroom down there and I don't want her to have to sleep in a pool of water.

I found this article about how home designs cooled houses before A/C was invented very interesting.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/7424

And this as well. At the bottom under the history of A/C.

Quote:
The appearance of new designs, such as the block office building with extensive interior space that had no access to windows, meant that mechanical ventilation was a necessity. Air conditioning, with its provision for cooling, was an advantageous choice to counter the heat of large glass windows, high levels of interior lighting, numerous occupants, and increasing use of office machines. This combination of design and use of modern office buildings meant that nearly all required cooling no matter how moderate the local climate. In the home, the decision whether or not to buy air conditioning was often made by speculative builders rather than the individual consumer. Beginning around 1953, builders of tract homes routinely included air conditioning in their developments, underwriting the cost of the equipment by eliminating traditional design features such as high ceilings, overhanging eaves, and cross ventilation, which had originally helped homeowners cope with hot weather. This conscious substitution of air conditioning for passive cooling techniques made modern homes, like modern office buildings, dependent upon their mechanical systems. By 1957, the use of air conditioning in homes and offices shifted peak usage of electricity from the traditional high mark of December to August's cooling season.
http://www.answers.com/topic/air-conditioning

So people looking to build a new home or buy an already built home could use some of that info to help them save some money on cooling.

#28 of 53 Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
How do you know where I live? Really I'm not trying to put anyone down here I'm just saying there are other options out there other than A/C.
I thought you lived in Canada, or am I thinking of someone else?
#29 of 53 Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

I grew up in Texas and lived there until I moved to London for grad school when I was eighteen. Talk about change! Hardly anyone in the UK has air conditioning, but I managed to find a place with it. All my friends thought I was crazy.

I loved the weather in London, but I come from a long, long line of extremely angry Southern women. We breathe fire. If I don't have both my bedroom fans (not counting the ceiling fan) pointing at me when I go to bed I wake up drenched in sweat.

Now I live in Brooklyn. I just - as in, yesterday - moved from an apartment to a four-floor brownstone, so I have no idea what the electricity bills will be here, I just know that I'm pregnant and hot, so I'll put the thermostat at whatever I please. DF runs cold all of the time, so he's currently walking around in a sweater, the big baby.

In conclusion, 72. I don't like odd numbers.
#30 of 53 Old 05-30-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
I thought you lived in Canada, or am I thinking of someone else?
I do live in Canada. Southern Ontario and it gets hot here in the summer. It has been 30C+/86F+ all week here and it is only May. My igloo melted in February!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page