Cleaning a stinky toilet without bleach? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my toilet is not a low-flow type: it probably uses 5 gallons of water every time it is flushed. So we flush selectively at our house, which is great. It also means that our toilet has a gross, stale urine type smell, even after being flushed. The only way I know how to get rid of this is to pour a ton of liquid bleach into the bowl, scrub it with the little brush thing, and let the bleach sit for a while. Is there a more earth-friendly (and hopefully cheap) way that I can get my toilet to be nice smelling without using bleach or other harsh chemicals?
#2 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 AM

BS and vinegar. Followed by some EOs. But the improvement in smell will only last maybe a half a day if you're in the habit of letting it mellow.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 PM

We let ours mellow as well and once a day I wipe it down (the lid and outside) with vinegar and water (and sometimes tea tree oil depending on my mood and what is in my bottle at the time) This really seems to help. I also scrub the inside as soon as I notice it is getting tinted yellow. We only flush a couple times a day (unless it is # 2) but I have found if it gets flushed after everyone has gone potty in the am it is much better as well.

Hope that helps.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 AM

What about adding some water bottles in the tank to make it a "less-flow" toilet, and flushing several times a day & before bed? That should prevent the smell from developing.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#5 of 11 Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 PM

I use diluted Simple Green in ours frequently and love how it smells.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#6 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Borax works

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#7 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM

We have the same problem!
These are all great ideas. I don't think I will be able to stick to wiping it down once a day, but I'll try...

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#8 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM

I normally scrub/swish with the brush (no cleaner) at least once a week and that seems to keep it pretty clean. But when I've been slacking and it starts to look dirty, I do the same thing as you do with bleach, but I use vinegar. Pour it in, scrub it around, let it sit, scrub some more and flush.

I think the PPs idea to flush after the morning pees are all done is a good one too - that's usually the most potent urine.
#9 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Sprinkled Borax and watered down peppermint Dr. Bronner's, 1 part DB to 3 parts H20. Scrub it really well.

Mommy to kids

#10 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 11:32 PM

BS and vinegar. Also scrubbing with half a lemon.
#11 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 AM

I also use Borax. I think the box says to use about a 1/4c in the bowl and let it sit for a while (even overnight if it's really bad) before scrubbing.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page