Tatami & Futons in the US - bedbugs? dani ticks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've been researching replacing our Tempurpedic mattress with something decidedly less toxic. Many of the threads here have been quite helpful! We seem to be leaning towards two twin organic cotton shikibuton type futons on tatami mats.

Elsewhere on the internet I've read about tatami ticks. They appear to be in Eastern countries and not in the US. Chopa.com supplies tatami in the US that are baked haven't been sprayed with chemicals. When I called and spoke with them, they said dani aren't a problem in the US.

We don't have bedbugs either, nor fleas on our cats though it is possible they could get some when we go sit in the backyard together.

Does anyone know a lot about futon and tatami paired together here in the US? Are there are any precautionary anti-vermin measures I should take?
#2 of 3 Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 AM

I live in Japan, and here people hang their futons outside in the sun, not every day but as often as possible. Still, though, the "dani" (dustmites) do get into the futons. You can buy protective covers, just like you can for mattresses in the US.

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#3 of 3 Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Hi! I've been considering buying a Japanese futoN and tatami mats too! It's been hard for me to find much info on them but what I do read makes so much sense to me. They are firm, natural and convenient.

The main concern I have is that I read that in Japan, people usually take them to a special cleaners to have them washed once a year. Not an option here- so I wonder if a mattress protector/cover would suffice?

Where are you buying your from? My google searches alays bring up a web company called j-life.

I'm interests to hear what you have learned thru your research so please share!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page