Any way to avoid "crunchy" towels when line drying? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I LOVE hanging our clothes out to dry during the summer, but the towels are SO hard and crunchy when I bring them off the line. Is there any way to avoid this?

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 12:59 AM

vinegar in the rinse to get the soap out?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 01:34 AM

do you have access to a dryer? I would put mine in the dryer for maybe 10 minutes on air only (no heat) with some dryer balls (their a silicone ball with little knubs all over them) definately helped with softening the towels up and I figured it didnt use as much electricity as drying a load from start to finish.
#4 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 PM

I dry them in the dryer for 10 minutes before hanging them on the line. Well, technically, I toss the load from the washer into the dryer and press start. Then, I start the next load (water, detergent, baking soda and/or vinegar, clothes). If it is the first load, then I also walk outside and pull out the retractable line. Then, I grab the load from the dryer and go hang it up outside. Most often, it is under 10 minutes.

Anyway, shaking also helps soften line-dried laundry....before and after hanging. After is especially important to remove any critters...

Using less detergent and adding vinegar to the rinse cycle (my washer has a holding spot) also help.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Bea

I'm almost positive you don't want to hear that ironing them once dry pretty much solves the problem.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#6 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I just bought a couple of pima cotton towels, and they don't seem to have that problem. Part of it is just the material. Terry cloth gets so starchy!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#7 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 PM

I give mine a good shake before and after, and only leave them up long enough to get dry. It seems that the longer they hang, the stiffer they get.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I'm almost positive you don't want to hear that ironing them once dry pretty much solves the problem.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#9 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try vinegar. And maybe getting some pima cotton towels too- we only have about 2 nice towels and could use 2 more good ones.

#10 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 PM

We don't own a dryer and after two and a half years the only thing I've found that really makes line dried towels not so crunchy is Downy liquid fabric softener (April Fresh specifically). I know, I know! Not at all natural. And yes, they are still crazy absorbent. I don't know if the fabric softener + towels = non-absorbent is an urban legend or maybe it's liquid softener + driers that's a bad combo, but anyhoo it works.

I wish the "natural" softeners worked as well, but IME they just don't. I've tried Ecover's liquid softener and it was pretty terrible. I'm currently trying Vaska's version and it's definitely better than Ecover but not as good as Downy. Also Vaska has a funky consistency to it and I think it would gunk up my machine if I used it too much (Downy is not at all gummy and has never gunked up my machine). I'd like to try 7th Generation softener. Has anyone here tried it and like it?

Also new towels stay nice and soft for a good while with or without Downy, but definitely better with it, it even helps old crispy crunchy towels
Something about that darn animal tallow that natural softeners just can't replicate.
#11 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabfig View Post
I'm going to try vinegar. And maybe getting some pima cotton towels too- we only have about 2 nice towels and could use 2 more good ones.
The pima aren't perfect, but IME they're a lot better. Maybe get one that you can display in the guest bathroom and see what you think of it after vinegar treatment and line drying. I found these towels at about $10 each, so definitely sample one before you make a $50-100 commitment!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#12 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I...ron? What is this "iron" you speak of?

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#13 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
How did you figure this out? Please say you don't really iron your towels!!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#14 of 14 Old 07-01-2010, 11:14 AM

How much vinegar would you put in the softener spot in the washer?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page