Killing ants... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Bea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a minor ant problem. Just a few in the front of the house, we never see more then maybe 5 at a time and they're tiny Pavement ants.

So... I want to get rid of the ones in the house as they are starting to range further afield. They haven't made it from the front living room to the next living room yet (we 'dispose' of them by various means, which I feel awful about. I don't like to kill creatures 'just because' but they've invaded my space and I want them out!). I've been using citrus oil to obliterate their scent trails BUT, does anyone know of a way to control ants in the home without killing the colony?

I won't use pesticides and less toxic controls are touted as killing the colony when the roaming ants take the bait back. I don't want to kill the colony. They live harmlessly all around our home, I just don't want them coming to visit indoors!

Is this an impossible proposition?

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#2 of 5 Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM

We sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the foundation to keep ants away. It is ground fossilized diatoms, non-toxic, though it can cause eye or lung irritation if you inhale a bunch, and can be found in your local home/garden center. Ants hate it. It gets under the carapace and dessicates them, so they will not risk crossing it. You do have to reapply if it washes away, so in very rainy locations it may not be particularly effective. We put it in a squeezable bottle - one of those picnic ketchup dispenser things - so it shoots a fine line of the stuff and forms a nice barrier without a lot of extra dust flying around. If you are very conscious of toxicity, it is also available in food grade, but you will most likely have to order online. Also make sure you have no tree branches, bushes, or tools leaning against the house, as ants may crawl up and bypass your barrier.
#3 of 5 Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Try sprinkling cinnamon on their trails - it confuses them and they don't like walking through the stuff. They will just go elsewhere when scouting. I usually sprinkle and let the cinnamon sit there for a few days.
#4 of 5 Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie View Post
Try sprinkling cinnamon on their trails - it confuses them and they don't like walking through the stuff. They will just go elsewhere when scouting. I usually sprinkle and let the cinnamon sit there for a few days.
I just want to say that I have tried this and it didn't work very well. It may have deterred one or two, but the rest of them just walked right over it... UGH... It was so frustrating! I had much more luck using vinegar to mess up their scent trails - at least temporarily, because you need to reapply every so often. Maybe you could wash your door frame w/a vinegar and water solution. There was one time, though, I had to resort to going after the colony using natural/non-toxic ways. At least I think I got the whole colony because they eventually disappeared completely.

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Bea

Thanks guys.

I'll give these suggestions a go. The invaders seemed to have lessened since I've been spraying citrus oil around the floor although we are now living with an 'explosion in an orange grove' smell.

We live in an old house, with a basement, so although I know they're coming from the front of the house, the exact point of entry could be any of a hundred spaces big enough to fit an 1/8th of an inch ant. Doing damage to the colony is the last resort and at least come winter (in ME) I know the issue will end at least temporarily.

Thanks again

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page