Votes: 21 9.5%
  • No, ew.

Votes: 170 77.3%
  • The obligatory Other

Votes: 29 13.2%

Would you use Febreeze?

8K views 87 replies 74 participants last post by  rhiOrion 
#1 ·
So, my mainstream friend who's over insists that the crunchy people don't mind Febreeze.

Weigh in, hippie chicks. Remember to tell my friend what you don't like about it.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by neetling View Post
treeoflife can you point me in the direction of those recipes? I like the idea of febreze, but I can't handle the scent of it so I don't use it. It gives me a migraine. I have a dog and I'd like to deodorize our furniture.
My favorite is about 2 tablespoons of some really cheap vodka in a 20-30 ounce bottle filled with water (I just use tap but most people insist on distilled. I'm too lazy to get that though hehe) with about 5 drops of whatever essential oils you like. I also add .5-1tbsp of baking soda too if I'm using it on my husband's work gear like his pack for PTs.

One part vodka to one part water is good too but that is more expensive.. greener than fabreze but it costs more!

Vinegar will work too, vodka just dries faster which can help leave the EO scent but the vodka won't leave a scent itself (unless its in an enclosed space like a car.. so if you use in a car... windows open!)

Most recipes online call for fabric softener.. took forever to find a good one without that!

#8 ·
I said other. I think it's gross and I would not include it in my regular cleaning routine, but I have used it for a big stink problem in a used car we bought. It worked! But then the car smelled like Febreeze for a while, which I guess is better than cigarettes.

#10 ·
oh, hell no. It makes my airway shrink and I get a bad headache. My DH used to spray down the seats of his car every once in a while and I could not ride in it - even with the windows all the way down.

Vinegar and water in a spray bottle? sure. But I loathe febreeze. I can smell it on DD after she visits her friend's house. I seriously make her take a shower when it bugs me bad enough.

#11 ·
I said other because I too have used it in a dire situation with an odor problem in a used car. But in general, no. I feel like it is very bad for the environment and I prefer not to use perfumed products if possible.

I am SUPER EXCITED to see the recipe on here from pp!! Now I have an alternative. : )

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I voted no way, Jose. Yuck. I hate all perfumed and scented products, though.

I should have read the replies first.

I hate synthetic fragrances in anything!! The world would be a better place if they were banned.
For me, anyway.

#15 ·
I voted no. I don't like scented stuff.

The commercials that show people spraying Febreeze and then sniffing the droplets as they fall completely freak me out -- WHY would the company advocate liberally and directly inhaling the chemicals like that???

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post

The commercials that show people spraying Febreeze and then sniffing the droplets as they fall completely freak me out -- WHY would the company advocate liberally and directly inhaling the chemicals like that???
gah, they make me cringe, too. ick. ick. ick. Please don't spray that crap before I come to your house!

What bugs me is that I know some people who use it and their kid has asthma. How can that be good - even with kids w/o apparent breathing problems? The particles linger in the air and on fabric.

#17 ·
I'm an other - I guess.
I used to use it frequently. This was before DS was born. We had a weekly poker game at our house & everyone smoked inside. The Febreeze made the stinky-ness go away.
Now, we use Method (I think) air freshener (rarely!), which is just essential oil & water. I also make my own in a spray bottle, but it's not very strong. I won't spray the chemical stuff around a baby or kids.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Mainstream Friend says she does that, inhaling the drops. She says it's awesome.

#22 ·
Ew no, no no no. I can't stand artifical scents either. Like scented candles freak me out...they smell like a$$. Or those bizzare room deodorizers that you plug in that phssttt into the air...

Anyway, yeah, I don't want my house to smell like department store. If something is funky I'll open the windows or use essential oils.

#23 ·
Absolutely not. The smell of it is an instant headache and nausea for me.

When I was pg, I was over at my grandmother's house and smelling something - like one of her cats had marked the sofa. Her response was oh, I'll go get the Febreeze... Yeah. No thanks. I'd rather smell cat pee than deal with the migraine and nausea I'd get not-pg. Pg there's no way I could have dealt.

#24 ·
I would use it if it came in unscented. It smells so bad!
I've haven't got a problem with the technology/chemicals involved.
But I'm not as crunchy as some.
I do prefer to really clean something properly. If it's a bacteria smell, I'd like to clean the bacteria away. I do have a steam cleaner - it works great!

#25 ·
I have used it, but I don't use it, if that makes sense. We have some here somewhere. I've had the bottle for 5-6 years, and have used it about 3-4 times, in really bad odor situations. I can be better than some things, but it stinks and it lingers and it's really...icky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.