Anyone with unusual bedroom arrangements? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just realized, DD is almost 5, but she doesn't have her own room. Not because our house is small or that we're against her having a room or anything like that. It just sort of worked that way since she cosleeps.

So we have a bedroom and a guest room. (3rd bedroom is an office).

She has her own dresser drawer and shares closet space with me. We get hand-me downs (if you can call it that... brand name new with tags from a cousin whose grandmother spends a fortune on clothes) and the ones to grow into are in the guest closet.

She also has her own little toddler bed but she doesn't use it. Well, except for play.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 24 Old 07-14-2010, 03:18 PM

Ours are unusual in that dh and I don't technically have a bedroom.

Our basement is set up that it has a living room with a bedroom on either side. The boys each have one of the bedrooms and our huge bed is in the living room part. It works really well and it was the only way, with the way the house is set up, that the boys each got a room and that we were all on the same level.
#3 of 24 Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM

We have "normal" bedrooms set up but we all play musical beds on a regular basis.
#4 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 AM

My 2yo ans almost 4yo don't have rooms. (Yet we have 2 rooms sitting unused) The extra rooms are upstairs and I am not comfortable with them up there alone. Plus we still cosleep so what is the point lol. This works for now and I will figure something else out when the time comes.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
well we live in a one room mil room with a loft bed. dd got really excited. she carved out the loft for herself. all happy and proud that she has space of her own and would sleep up there. i wasnt allowed there without invitation. and i respected that.

HAH!!!!!!

that lasted two days. i am back in the loft. so i have my bed downstairs in the corner but i sleep in the queen size adult bed in the loft.

:innocence i looooooove sleeping in the loft bed. never had a loft bed before. my heart does a jump of excitement as i climb up the stairs.

i am not ready to sleep on my own yet.

i am not ready to give up our bedtime conversation yet.

however i am not sure.

is cosleeping in a loft bed for a single mother with an almost 8 year old unusual?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 02:53 AM

I don't know how unusual this is because I've never rented a house before this, but in our small two bedroom one-level, DS's room is right off the little hallway, with the door to our room in his room. The closet is shared between the two rooms (DS LOVES to use the "tunnel"). I mean, we co-sleep most of the night anyway, but the bed in his room (a twin, actually, because I suppose after sleeping in the queen size for so long a toddler bed just looked silly to him) is used for naps and if we have a guest.
#7 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
well we live in a one room mil room with a loft bed. dd got really excited. she carved out the loft for herself. all happy and proud that she has space of her own and would sleep up there. i wasnt allowed there without invitation. and i respected that.

HAH!!!!!!

that lasted two days. i am back in the loft. so i have my bed downstairs in the corner but i sleep in the queen size adult bed in the loft.

:innocence i looooooove sleeping in the loft bed. never had a loft bed before. my heart does a jump of excitement as i climb up the stairs.

i am not ready to sleep on my own yet.

i am not ready to give up our bedtime conversation yet.

however i am not sure.

is cosleeping in a loft bed for a single mother with an almost 8 year old unusual?
I think it is fine, I totally understand the not being ready to sleep alone lol. There is just something wonderful about getting to share sleep (and those precious bedtime/morning conversations) with our children! She will let you know when she is ready to have her own space, until then enjoy!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#8 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 AM

Ours is weird for the summer.I put an old king into ds's bedroom for 2 kids we have over for the summer.Dd has extra couch pieces in her room,so it is like the PS2 playroom.And in our master has a regular full and 2 twin memory foams for the kids.

Once the king is gone.The twins go into each kid bedroom and dh and I get our room to ourself.Somewhat looking forward to it,but when dh is not home I really won't like having the kids in other rooms!
#9 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Well my daughter just started sleeping in her own room last week but she has always had her own bedroom.The unusual part is that so does my husband and it has nothing to do with my daughter co-sleeping(or with us being an old married couple ).In fact we have never shared a bedroom.It's really funny to see who is weirded out by that and who isn't.But the funniest part is that my husband and I have been together for 20 years and once in a while I will get someone who will tell me how it's going to hurt our relationship.

#10 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litanyagainstfear View Post
I don't know how unusual this is because I've never rented a house before this, but in our small two bedroom one-level, DS's room is right off the little hallway, with the door to our room in his room. The closet is shared between the two rooms (DS LOVES to use the "tunnel"). I mean, we co-sleep most of the night anyway, but the bed in his room (a twin, actually, because I suppose after sleeping in the queen size for so long a toddler bed just looked silly to him) is used for naps and if we have a guest.
I've seen 2 houses like that and I can NOT figure out what the deal is.

#11 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 PM

I don't think it's so unusual, but other people either think it's odd or genius.
We have a four bedroom house. One bedroom is the master, which is mine and DH's, one room is the guest bedroom, one room is where both DSs sleep, and the last is the playroom. The boys' bedroom is only their beds and their clothing. The playroom houses all their toys and books and other things. For us, it makes sense to keep the 'mess' in that one space and to keep the bedroom space only for sleeping.
#12 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Our girls shared a room with DH and I until they were 2 and 4.5. A friend of mine and her SO were in our second bedroom. It would have just been a box room if they hadn't been in there.

Now we have a four bedroom house with two unused bedrooms. Our girls are 4.5 and 6 and they share a room. Our boys are 26 months and 9 months and are in with DH and me.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#13 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM

We coslept until our girls were 5 and 2 when they decided they wanted to sleep in the bunk bed in the play room Nothing wrong with it if its still works for everyone.

:::
#14 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 PM

We recently moved into a 2 bedroom apt. and are using only one of the bedrooms for sleep. DS is 3. We are making him a mini-loft bed and then we have a king-sized "bed" which is really two x-long twin-sized little fiber-bed mattress thingies on the floor. We'll use the other bedroom for other things. I like to get up early and with DH and DS both sleeping in separate rooms, I would have only the kitchen and living room in which to hang out. So this makes the most sense to me but other people find it odd. The other odd thing is we have our family closet, and it's actually the closet in the bedroom that's not used for sleeping. This way I can get up and leave the bedroom and go get dressed in there while people are still sleeping. The closet is big enough to serve as a dressing room.

I can't wait to get the loft finished and everything finished setting up! I've been having trouble motivating.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#15 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM

We live in a one bedroom apartment, and gave our son the bedroom though he sleeps with us if he wants. The dining area has our desks/art/office-y stuff, and in the living room area our bed is on one side, a small love seat near it, the tv, and a bookshelf on the opposite side. We have one friend who comes over regularly, and other than that not a huge amount of visitors so the set up isn't weird with company.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#16 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 PM

We have a 3 bedroom house with 2 bedrooms on the main floor. One room is set up as "our" room with a Queen size bed and the other is set up as the "girls" room with a double bed. Theoretically we co-sleep, but it's a modge podge of musical beds based on the night.

Sometimes DH and DD in one and DD and myself in the other...sometimes both girls with DH or both girls with me and sometimes...by the grace of the sleep gods....both girls in one bed and DH and I in the other!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#17 of 24 Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I know! I can only guess that the house has had many renovations that left it in a bit of a weird arrangement -- I know it's pretty old, since my best friend's mother remembers it from when she was a little girl growing up on the street we live on. We love it because most people don't even notice the extra door in DS's bedroom, so our bedroom feels like a secret.
#18 of 24 Old 07-17-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
One of the rooms is intended to be a nursery. A lot of old houses had two rooms connected in that way--parents in one room, baby in the attached room.

Our rooms aren't too strange...3 yr old dd has her own room and 9 mo old ds shares a room with us. The setup of our room is strange, however: king sized bed & crib mattress on floor, crib setup except for the mattress, my sewing table, and dresser and almost no remaining floor space! We only have the two bedrooms.

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
#19 of 24 Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM

We get a lot of comments because we have 4 bedrooms but only use two.
I have my sewing machine, fabric, crafts, ironing board, knitting supplies, gift wrapping etc. in one of the other rooms and I aspire to have the 4th bedroom set up for DD at some point in the near future. Until then, all her clothes are in there, that's it.

The boys share a room (and frequently a bed too!) and DD is in our room for awhile longer yet.

Everyone seems to assume that if you have enough bedrooms, each child should have their own room.
But really, "my" room will be a bathroom so there's no point in moving one of the kids there just to move them out again in a year or so.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#20 of 24 Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 PM

We are a large family-- in our last house none of the kids really had their own room-- some had their own bed but others just bounced around from place to place each night.

Then, we moved to a huge house (8 bedrooms total). Only one of our children actually wanted her own room! So she got her own room, 2 kids share another room, 1 daughter is alone but will be joined by baby when she is older, and another daughter sleeps on the floor of the living room each night! She keeps her clothes in a closet of a bedroom not being used, and carries her more precious belongings around in a backpack. Backpacks and boxes are nice for kids who don't have their own rooms (either by choice or necessity), also squirreling away belongings in pillowcases.
#21 of 24 Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have three bedrooms - one's DH WAH office, one is our bedroom (me, DD and DH), and one is for our flatmate. It's different from our last house, where we had heaps of spare rooms - I had a sewing room, DD had a bedroom she never used - but I vastly prefer this house. It's open-plan, not poky and the bedrooms are a good size (well, not DH's office).

It will become a problem soon though. We want to TTC next year and I don't want to cosleep with a baby and a toddler - we wouldn't fit, for one thing! I'm not sure we could fit asingle or even a toddler bed in our current bedroom. I've considered putting a toddler bed in DH's office, not as DD's room as far as clothes and toys go, just somewhere for her to sleep - but I'm not sure DD will be ready for that by next year and I don't think DH wants his office taken over! The other option is to kick out the flatmate, but that would give us less money and give DD a ridiculously large room - for which, again, she might not be ready.

I don't want to move again; I love this house; but it's a looming problem. *Maybe* DH could move his office (just a desk, chair and computer, really) into the lounge or our bedroom?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#22 of 24 Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM

My house was originally a three bedroom + den/office that could be used as a small bedroom house - the three actual bedrooms were the master and two small rooms. At some point, two additional bedrooms were added at the back of the house - but to get to them, you have to walk through one of the two small bedrooms. The people who lived here before us used the walk through room as an excercise room. We use it as a toy depository (was supposed to be a playroom, but no one ever actually plays there ). My oldest is in one of the new bedrooms, and my daughter and younger son are in the other. The part of our arrangement that most people find weird is that dh and I have separate rooms. I sleep in the master, and he sleeps in the last small bedroom. This works best for us for lots of reasons, but mostly because dh is a violent, loud sleeper (by violent, I mean snoring loudly, tossing, turning, yelling in his sleep - not that he punches me or anything ) and I sleep much better in a different room.
#23 of 24 Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 AM

We have a pretty "normal" set up. Each girl has her own room and DH and I share a room.

My SIL is a single mother and she has a 2 bedroom apt. Her two older girls have the "master" bedroom and then she has the smaller bedroom that she shares with her baby.

Whatever works for you is whats right.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#24 of 24 Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 PM

We don't have the "typical" set up. Our house is a 4BR (one is the office at the front of the house that has double doors and really would make an AWFUL bedroom!). We all co-sleep in the very, tiny (and I mean like 12x13!) master bedroom. We have a CalKing turned sideways and a twin bed so it looks like one huuuuge bed. Me, my wife, and our 3 kids (ages 5, 4, and 3) all sleep in there. We only have room for a small bookshelf, hamper, and an Ikea dresser that holds our 47" flat screen.

We are currently using our "formal" living room as a toy room with a small TV for the kids. They like to play in that room and it's perfect for when we have guests with kids over. That way the Polly Pockets and Littlest Pet Shops (that live in the bedrooms) aren't being carried from room to room. Our family room has a hand me down TV that has never been turned on. We spend most of our time past 8 or 9 pm in the bedroom watching TV together.

The other two "bedrooms" are set up as bedrooms with their beds and, I kinda chuckle when I think about it - makes us look pretty typical. Most of their toys are in those "bedrooms" and they do occasionally take naps in there. I guess to the innocent by-looker they would think we were pretty normal. However, when they spot the "biggest bed in the world" I always tell them proudly that we still co-sleep!

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page