Candle-Making? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I think maybe... if not, feel free to move!

I am interested in learning candle making because 1) I think it would be fun and 2) think it might be a good skill to have if the SHTF ever.

Anyone make candles? Care to share how/resources/where to get started?

Thanks!

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 AM

You can buy candle making supplies at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They even sell beeswax. Or you can check around with local beekeepers and see if they sell beeswax blocks. For simple candle dipping with children, you can melt beeswax or parrafin in a pot of boiling water with a coffee can in it and dip the wicks to make tapers ( check out the book Earthways at the library).
Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM

I buy my beeswax from my local HFS or at the apiary when I stock up on honey. I went to a Michaels and bought some votive sized glass holders. I saved a bunch of the little metal wick holders from old tea lights and reused those with some new wick. I have a metal wax melting jug I use like a double boiler and pour the melted wax into the votive holder, position the wick in place resting it on a pencil until the wax is set. Easy.

I'd like to make some candle sticks though because I find they trow off more light. Does anyone know a good place to buy a stick mold?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think this should probably go in Arts & Crafts instead of Mindful Home.

I, too, have seen candle making kits at AC Moore and JoAnn. I don't think they're too hard to come by.

Have fun!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

User Tag List