what did you store your homemade baby food in? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looking for ideas on what to store my homemade baby food in. i've seen some mini-cup type things on the tupperware site, but i'm interested in other suggestions.

babyfood for us right now means pureed vegetables

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#2 of 15 Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM

First, let me say, we do a mix of purees (especially naturally "baby foodish" stuff, like applesauce, oatmeal, yogurt, butternut squash puree, etc), plus small pieces of food. So, my way of doing it might not be good enough for someone that needs a larger supply.

If I make a bigger batch of something, I freeze in ice cube trays, then pop them out and store in the freezer. If I only make a tiny bit, and I don't want to freeze, then I'll store it in 1/4 pint (4 oz) canning jars (with plastic lids--I've been canning for years, and I have a bunch). If it's a tiny baby, then I store in Tupperware midgets. They store 2 oz.

If we're going off for a short time (say going to grandma's for lunch), then I'll take applesauce or whatever in the 2 or 4 oz container. If it's for a longer trip, then I use purchased food. It's easier for my life. And, I save and reuse the jars. I also keep a purchased thing of food in the diaper bag for emergencies.
#3 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM

We froze in ice cube trays as well, and then popped them out and kept them in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

If I needed to take them somewhere I would just put them in a little tupperware container, or a small take and toss type container.

But we did purees for a very short period of time as we did a mix of purees and baby led weaning. I really wouldn't spend a lot of money on containers unless you will have a use for them later.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#4 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Looking for ideas as well.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I should add - I've asked on freecycle for empty baby food jars and have people contact me, but no one ever follows through.

i've seen the icecube tray suggestion before, but i don't know why, i just don't like it. i wish i could figure out what about it i don't like.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#6 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM

Gladware has these small bowl type containers that come in a four ounce size. When Liam was a baby that's what I used to put his purees in.

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#7 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 PM

For bigger servings you can get Pyrex which is glass, but my sister did ice-cube trays and they were super convenient for her and my mom (she works). Then she put it in ziplog baggies for travel, which she re-used for crackers and other dry food for herself and her DH as he threw them out. I'll definitely do it if I ever get around to pureeing stuff instead of just mashing up our food with my fork.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#8 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM

All the moms in our playgroup used store-bought food, so I asked for their empties at every playdate instead of them being tossed out. We washed them in the dishwasher and reused them.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#9 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 PM

With DS, I froze in ice cube trays, although I didn't like it because of the plastic aspect, even though plastic generally doesn't leach when it's frozen (compared to being heated, etc.) Then I transferred the cubes into ziploc bags.

I just made a bit of puree for DD (1 sweet potato worth) and made little mounds directly onto a regular Corelle dinner plate and froze it that way. Then I laid it on a hot towel to loosen and popped them off. I put them loose into a glass canning jar (suitable for freezer) for storing. I just did this today, so I'm not 100% sure that they will stay separate, but I don't see why they wouldn't. Not a great solution if you plan to make a lot, but fine for me where I am really just putting aside the extra.

BTW, I've heard that you should not freeze food in baby food jar because they aren't rated for the freezer. Here, for example:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/FreezePage.htm
#10 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
We froze in ice cube trays as well, and then popped them out and kept them in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

If I needed to take them somewhere I would just put them in a little tupperware container, or a small take and toss type container.
Same here.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#11 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM

I froze in canning jars. Specifically, I used the smallest jelly jars. I didn't want dd's first foods in contact with plastic.

But for all my good intentions, dd had other plans. She didn't want baby food. She just had very little interest in solids and was for all intents and purposes exclusively breastfed until she started regular food when she was 12 - 15 months. The pureed baby food ended up in soups.
#12 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
But for all my good intentions, dd had other plans. She didn't want baby food. She just had very little interest in solids and was for all intents and purposes exclusively breastfed until she started regular food when she was 12 - 15 months. The pureed baby food ended up in soups.
This was my exact experience with baby #1. FWIW, the purees do really well in soups and spaghetti.
#13 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
First, let me say, we do a mix of purees (especially naturally "baby foodish" stuff, like applesauce, oatmeal, yogurt, butternut squash puree, etc), plus small pieces of food. So, my way of doing it might not be good enough for someone that needs a larger supply.

If I make a bigger batch of something, I freeze in ice cube trays, then pop them out and store in the freezer. If I only make a tiny bit, and I don't want to freeze, then I'll store it in 1/4 pint (4 oz) canning jars (with plastic lids--I've been canning for years, and I have a bunch). If it's a tiny baby, then I store in Tupperware midgets. They store 2 oz.

If we're going off for a short time (say going to grandma's for lunch), then I'll take applesauce or whatever in the 2 or 4 oz container. If it's for a longer trip, then I use purchased food. It's easier for my life. And, I save and reuse the jars. I also keep a purchased thing of food in the diaper bag for emergencies.

ooh! where do you get plastic tops for your canning jars?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#14 of 15 Old 07-31-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
ooh! where do you get plastic tops for your canning jars?
Just about everywhere that sells canning items sells the plastic lids (both regular and wide mouth). They are plastic screw tops that come in boxes of 10. Better yet, most metal screw top jars (those that truly screw on, not those like spaghetti sauce jars that have a single thread) fit regular mouth jars. It's standard. There are many jars lids that fit the wide mouth too. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any, I remember some of the pickle jars have lids that work. If you ever buy anything from Trader Joe's though, almost all of those lids fit regular mouth canning jars.
#15 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM

most of my plastic lids are mayo lids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page