Do doormats go inside or outside? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do doormats belong inside or outside?
Just inside the door 1 1.75%
Just outside the door 23 40.35%
Preferably each 30 52.63%
Obligatory Other (please explain) 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please help settle this! DH bought a doormat--not a thick sisal one or a plastic green one, but the kind that looks like this one. He insists that it belongs in the front entry inside the door. It constantly slips and slides around on the hardwood, has to be away from the swing of the door (there's no space under the door for even that much thickness), and is generally ugly.

I claim that doormats belong outside the front door, so that people can wipe their feet coming in. (This works especially well for us, since we have a front porch with a roof, so the doormat is out of the weather.) He claims that doormats belong inside where they can protect the floor, and besides, that's where we take our shoes off.

So, what do you think? Inside? Outside? Obligatory "other"? For what it's worth, we have one inside the back door, too, in the mudroom, but it doesn't bother me as much because (a) the door doesn't stick on it (b) we don't have a porch roof outside there and (c) aesthetics aren't as important there.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#2 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM

We have one outside the door and then a regular rug just inside. In the garage entrance, we have one just outside and one just inside. I prefer to have them on both sides of the door. If it doesn't really fit there though, I'd just leave one outside!

Live and love with your whole being.
#3 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 AM

With the one you posted, it would go OUTSIDE the door. Then you can also have a more decorative one on the inside. This set up is my preference.
#4 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM

One like that I would put outside the door. We do have a rug inside also (no issues with clearance fortunately) but it is larger and looks more carpet-like. I'd guess it's around 4'x6'.
#5 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Definitely outside!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#6 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 AM

The main doormat is outside. Our thick one is outside.

That said, we do have a "light" mat just inside the door as well.

But if you have only one mat, it belongs outside. Outside and inside is the best, thought.

Aside from the problems with opening and closing the door, the point of the mat is to collect dirt, debris, snow and rain moisture and so on - so it stays OUTSIDE of the house. It doesn't make sense to deposit these things INSIDE the house if you can help it.

I shake out our outdoor mat every now and then but it's never clean. It's very rough so that it can scrape the soles of our shoes and such - but you can't really clean that entirely.

The inside one, which is just a little rug, I can vacuum and get reasonably clean.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#7 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Astroturfy mats go outside, with a nonslip rug-type mat inside. You should have one of each, at each door, for maximum dirt control.
#8 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM

I think this depends on your climate, the type of mat, if you typically wear shoes in the house, if your entrance goes right into a room or if you have a porch/mud room, etc.

We have always put door mats inside the door. Wet or icky shoes and boots get left on the mat. The mat is where you take off your shoes. We don't wear shoes in the house.

I think that any time we had a mat outside we had one inside too. If we had one inside though, we didn't necessarily have one outside.

Personally, I don't want to stand outside wiping me feet. In our old house, we had a closed in porch for that. In our current house, there isn't any place to put a door mat outside anyway.

I've certainly seen plenty of sisel door mats inside and never thought it was odd.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#9 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
With the one you posted, it would go OUTSIDE the door. Then you can also have a more decorative one on the inside. This set up is my preference.
This is what we do, too.
#10 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM

It goes outside. Like others have said, you can also have a smaller, prettier one inside if you have the door clearance for it. We don't, so we only have one outside.
#11 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
I think this depends on your climate...

We have always put door mats inside the door. Wet or icky shoes and boots get left on the mat.
Makes sense, especially since this whole thing started over the winter with the crazy snow we got here in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#12 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM

I put other because it depends on the doormat, but the kind he bought belongs inside. You can get a kind of tape that keeps it from sliding around.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#13 of 31 Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the type you show inside & then the rubber or sisal ones outside. I agree with the pp who said your climate could really influence this. I hate drips & puddles inside in the winter so a good rubber backed mat is needed inside or else the moisture goes through & can run the flooring.

In a nicer climate I'd probably just have one outside.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#14 of 31 Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

We wipe excess stuff on the outside mat then step on the inside one to take off shoes just inside the house.

Center
#15 of 31 Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM

I voted for one in and one out. We have one like this inside (just like in the picture) and one like this outside.

But I would not put a mat inside if the door could not open over it. It seems pointless to have one that far out into the room.
#16 of 31 Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM

We have both-- a thick, sisal one outside, and an attractive one inside. Both get used for foot-wiping. My door opens directly into my living room, with no real entryway, so double protection is important to me. Dirty shoes get left on the indoor mat until they can be cleaned and put away, and it gets tossed in the wash frequently. I live in NJ, so we have snow and mud to contend with, and we spend a lot of time in farm fields, our kitchen gardens, and in the woods. Actually, on the worst days, I put layers of towels over the mat, and change them several times a day.

But we have plenty of clearance under the door for our mat. If it frequently catches on the door, that would irritate me.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#17 of 31 Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 PM

I voted "other" b/c it's not really a preference to have one inside & out but by default that's what we have. We have big thick onees outside. I think the one you showed would probably belong outside or inside a mudroom, not inside the front door. We have thick muddy ones outside, and one inside the front door. It says "Hi, I'm Mat" and I love it b/c dh's name is Matt & we searche forever to find one, and MIL found it for xmas a few years ago and it will live inside our door forever.
#18 of 31 Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
that kind goes outside and the smaller nice looking ones goes inside...

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#19 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 AM

I have a similar one from LL Bean inside by our back door. I actually have two--one in front of the door, and another before you go into the carpeted living room. It may be ugly, but we have a pool/dog/weedy yard and those mats help a lot. For the front door we have a sisal outside and rug inside. We're a no-shoe inside family w/ light carpeting so I want dirt to fall off ASAP.

ETA in the online and catalog ads for the Bean Waterhog mats, they have them both inside and outside--more pictures inside.
#20 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 AM

Doormat outside, rug inside.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#21 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Doormat outside, rug inside.
sorry, anything called 'waterhog' goes on the OUTSIDE.... I may not be an interior decorator but... waterhog equates to outside

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#22 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM

I prefer them outside, but here they get stolen if you leave them outside.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#23 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
sorry, anything called 'waterhog' goes on the OUTSIDE.... I may not be an interior decorator but... waterhog equates to outside
But if your outside door mat is exposed to the elements, then having a 'waterhog' outside would just get soaked in the rain. It would make more sense to have it inside where wet shoes are stepping in.
#24 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM

We have them just outside the doors.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#25 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 PM

I would put that kind outside.

Melonee, mom to Chloe 03/21/03 ribboncesarean.gif, Cooper 02/02/2007 vbac.gif, and Piper 12/27/09  vbac.gif
#26 of 31 Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
We have a pool so the waterhog mat gets plenty of use inside, and since it's inside, it's always dry, right? Think mudroom, not formal entryway.
#27 of 31 Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
We have a pool so the waterhog mat gets plenty of use inside, and since it's inside, it's always dry, right? Think mudroom, not formal entryway.
Good point about mudroom entry versus formal entry. I'm guessing since the OP was talking about hardwood floor, this was her front door. I would put a mat like that outside with a rug inside.
#28 of 31 Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 AM

No matter what type of mat you have, periodically shake it out to remove small pebbles, stones and loose dirt or sand. These materials can be tracked inside or become an issue when wet if they are allowed to accumulate inside the mat material for any length of time.
#29 of 31 Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
But if your outside door mat is exposed to the elements, then having a 'waterhog' outside would just get soaked in the rain. It would make more sense to have it inside where wet shoes are stepping in.
Exactly. A waterhog should be inside.

But if the OP has a covered front porch, it can go there. And I wouldn't put it at a formal entrance on the hardwood (though I might put a nicer looking waterhog one there. I think LLBean has some better looking versions).

Ideally, one should have a sisally type outdoor one for wiping off mud and an interior one to dry off wet shoes.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#30 of 31 Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Door mat outside - something coarse to wipe your shoes/boot on.
Decorative rug inside - something washable to take shoes off on.
Boot tray inside for wintertime.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page