Bunch of family coming to stay for a week, really small house need motivation, help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MIL is making her once in a decade visit-and she informed me that she is bringing 4 of her other grandkids with her. (ages 12 to 4 I think) to stay for a week. I have a very sneaky suspicion that dh's sister and husband (not these grandkids parents, btw) might come as well. It is their style.
I have a house that is about 1100sf, we are a family of seven. Potentially 5 adults and 9 children will be in this space for a week. Tell me how this is going to work. I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm sure a lot of it is emotional (dealing with blatant favoritism towards the gkids she is bringing, making no effort with my kids for many years.)

I also just got over remodeling the kitchen, and now I have to super clean this house and I am just OVER IT. I need some motivation, some quick tips, something. I'm really uptight about this. *mildly freaking out*

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 04:04 PM

I would be freaking the heck out, too. We have a big home, and only small amount of people who come to visit at a time (1-2), and I still stress about cleaning and getting everything ready - which reminds me, we will likely have company this weekend... and I haven't done anything to prepare.

That is a lot of people, especially with that many children. Do you have more than one bathroom with a shower? Does your hot water last a long time? Do you have to provide food for everyone most of the time?

I don't have any advice, but I'm sure I'd be making a ton of lists of what I needed to do before they arrived. Can you have each person at least bring a pillow? Do they have inflatable mattresses or something similar to sleep on?

Oh, and I'd buy paper plates, bowls, and plasticwear for sure.

Best of luck! Hope you get some helpful advice.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I would be freaking the heck out, too. We have a big home, and only small amount of people who come to visit at a time (1-2), and I still stress about cleaning and getting everything ready - which reminds me, we will likely have company this weekend... and I haven't done anything to prepare.

That is a lot of people, especially with that many children. Do you have more than one bathroom with a shower? Does your hot water last a long time? Do you have to provide food for everyone most of the time?

I don't have any advice, but I'm sure I'd be making a ton of lists of what I needed to do before they arrived. Can you have each person at least bring a pillow? Do they have inflatable mattresses or something similar to sleep on?

Oh, and I'd buy paper plates, bowls, and plasticwear for sure.

Best of luck! Hope you get some helpful advice.
see, I didn't even think about paper plates and plastic wear-we don't have a dishwasher so that is a fabulous idea!

We have two small bathrooms, and quick recovery on the hot water, so that's good...I should email them and ask about pillow and mattress situation-thanks for the reminder!

See, the thing that annoys me is that we had two much bigger homes over the past ten years and it would have been no problem at all to have a lot of company over...but they would NEVER visit when we had the room-now that we are short on space (Which I don't mind at all, I love our cozy home) NOW she wants to come see us.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM

I would contact them, probably via email, to discuss the logistics.

I would say things like:

"how many sleeping bags are you bringing?" NOT "are you/can you bring sleeping bags?"

"We have X number of beds available, everyone else can bunk on the floor in the family room"

"do you need directions to a grocery store to pick up extra groceries on the way?"

"do you want to bring disposable plates/silverware or should we take turns doing dishes?"

Hosting that many people for an extended visit is work, even when they are helpful. I'd be upfront about what you expect them to contribute and about how many resources you can devote to them.

ASSUME the best - that they will be self-reliable and help around the house. Expect the worst and be prepared.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Umm...ok we have a large family and a 2200 sqft house and I can't imagine trying to accomodate more people!

First thing I would do is pitch 2 tents and the kids can all "camp" outside.

Second thing I would do is confirm how many people are coming for sure w/ MIL and keep her to that amount. Anyone extra is welcome to find a hote and if she says BIL and SIL is coming I would forward her a list of the nearest hotels.

Oh, and I would make DH do all this
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
I would contact them, probably via email, to discuss the logistics.

I would say things like:

"how many sleeping bags are you bringing?" NOT "are you/can you bring sleeping bags?"

"We have X number of beds available, everyone else can bunk on the floor in the family room"

"do you need directions to a grocery store to pick up extra groceries on the way?"

"do you want to bring disposable plates/silverware or should we take turns doing dishes?"

Hosting that many people for an extended visit is work, even when they are helpful. I'd be upfront about what you expect them to contribute and about how many resources you can devote to them.

ASSUME the best - that they will be self-reliable and help around the house. Expect the worst and be prepared.

Good points-I think that's a great way to send the kind message that I won't be handling this all by myself! Esp. the dishes and the food...yikes! His mom did send an email stating that she could help with the food. Thank goodness-cause I was freaking out. Esp. cause she said these four kids are very picky eaters and beans and rice would not go over well with them, apparantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Harpy View Post
Umm...ok we have a large family and a 2200 sqft house and I can't imagine trying to accomodate more people!

First thing I would do is pitch 2 tents and the kids can all "camp" outside.

Second thing I would do is confirm how many people are coming for sure w/ MIL and keep her to that amount. Anyone extra is welcome to find a hote and if she says BIL and SIL is coming I would forward her a list of the nearest hotels.

Oh, and I would make DH do all this
My mom said the same thing about the tents!!! I totally would but it is SOOO darn hot here, unbearably so.

DH did volunteer to let sil/bil know that they are welcome, and that there is a nice b&b just up the road...so I am going to hold him to that if they do show up unannounced!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I totally agree with the other posters.

Our old house was about 1100 square feet once we renovated the attic. We've played host to large parties of house guests. We are always happy to have people. We've also had friends and family live with us on multiple occasions. However....

I make it clear however that we run a refugee camp not a hotel. You get a clean towel, a pillow, and a blanket. You will get either a bed or a mattress on the floor. I show people the around the kitchen, tell them they can eat or use whatever they find, and let them know that there is a grocery store around the corner and pizza delivery across the street.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
I totally agree with the other posters.

Our old house was about 1100 square feet once we renovated the attic. We've played host to large parties of house guests. We are always happy to have people. We've also had friends and family live with us on multiple occasions. However....

I make it clear however that we run a refugee camp not a hotel. You get a clean towel, a pillow, and a blanket. You will get either a bed or a mattress on the floor. I show people the around the kitchen, tell them they can eat or use whatever they find, and let them know that there is a grocery store around the corner and pizza delivery across the street.
That's perfect, ChetMC!

Well I emailed and she said she is bringing air mattresses and as for sil/bil coming she said she didn't think so at all...so it's not in the plans. *whew*. She is helping with food also. Thanks for the help everyone!

User Tag List