Best clothespins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-15-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally installed my clothesline yesterday and realized I neglected to buy clothespins! What better way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon than sitting on the porch researching clothespins online?

I would prefer wood, but it seems hard to find good quality ones. Some report that the wood can mark the fabric after a while. I'm not opposed to plastic if it's of good quality and will last a long time. I do a LOT of laundry - mostly towels it seems lately.

So what do you use? What have you tried and not liked?

Thanks for any info you can share!
#2 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

I don't know if they are considered good quality but I've have no problems with the inexpensive wood clothespins from Menards. I use them often and they do not break or mark the clothing.

My children also keep some they use to build tents in the house; sometimes they break when they use them.

We also keep some in the the kitchen to clip bags and my husband just took a bank deposit in that was clipped with one - couldn't fine a paper clip!
#3 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm new at line drying but honestly so far, in my 3 dedicated months of line drying (I ONCE dried a load when it started pouring soon after I hung it all up) I haven't had any problems with the cheap wooden ones. I don't see any marks.

I do know that you can create indents with the pins, especially if you pin the same area every time. If I had something delicate I might just drape it instead of pinning it, or just put it on a hanger and hang it on the line. I don't have anything delicate though so I just pin away.

Also I pin DH's shirts from the tail instead of the shoulder. Since he tucks in the tail, the indents don't matter. Could look weird on the shoulders after a while.

I don't see how plastic clothespins would improve the indents... just seems a matter of placement - or resorting to clotheshangers for special items.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#4 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 AM

With regard to wooden clothes pins, I have found that they will leave brownish stains on white clothing sometimes. The stains can be really hard to remove - I all but ruined one of DH's shirts on a wooden drying rack.

I think it depends on your climate and your care of the pins - if you're careful and never leave the pins out in the rain, and get them dry, I'd contemplate wooden ones IF you live in a drier climate.

If you live in a Seattle-type rainy climate or a humid one, I'd get plastic to avoid problems with the pins getting mildew.

DH's relatives in Europe, where line drying is the norm, use plastic pins and a folding Brabantia clothesline.....but it is humid/rainy there.

I may try plastic when I buy pins this time - not sure how they'll hold up, as sun does degrade plastic over time.
#5 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 PM

I have both. The spring-loaded wood ones (as opposed to the type that you just slide down) have lasted far longer than the plastic ones. I live in a dry climate, though. The sun has just deteriorated the plastic clothespins and one snaps nearly every time I hang laundry now. I haven't lost a single wood clothes pin.

As for marks and dents, I drape directly over the line or hang on hangers to mitigate this for important clothing items. Otherwise, I use whatever pins are closest and place them strategically. The only dents we've had is when DH casually tossed a wet t-shirt over the line without moving the pins out of the way. We've been line-drying for years (although not exclusively) and have not had any marks from the wood pins. I leave my pins out 24/7, too. Like I said, though, we live in a dry climate and rain is rare (average is 10 inches per year).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

I picked up some "heavy duty" plastic pins when I was at Lowe's the other day: www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/mega-grip-pegs-67300
and they were fine for the few towels I put out to dry. I think they'd be great for heavier things like bathmats or large towels.

Someone pointed me in the direction of Lehman's, a store in Ohio that caters to Amish and others who need products that support non-electric living.
www.lehmans.com

I can't believe I'm spending so much time thinking about clothespins! I do appreciate all the input -I'll post if I find something fabulous!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page