Have you fenced your inground pool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you talk me through the process? how much did it cost? My DP wants to rent a home with a pool. I hate the pool idea with the kids. He thinks it would be simple to fence it. I want to get a realistic picture of what it would take/cost.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 AM

It is not simple, nor is it cheap, to put a sturdy and safe fence around a pool. No way would I ever foot the bill for that on a rental property.

This is a picture of what the state I live in (Queensland Australia, which has very strict pool fencing laws. In fact a house with a pool can not even be rented out without meeting these laws) considers to be an adequate pool fence. It has to be at least 1.2metres tall, have no horizontal peices that are at a height that could possibly be used for climbing over the fence, and the gate has to have a magnalock that is key lockable, and that lock/latch has to be at least 1.5m from the ground. (it's usually part of a pole that extends above the gate height)

For an idea on pricing, one 6ft long and 1.2m high panel of pool fencing (not including the posts or cost of setting those in concrete) is about 100bucks from avg pool stores here. (Granted that's Austrlian) .. so you would be looking at 1000's of dollars here, and probably not much less there.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We put in a permanent fence that is neither simple to install nor inexpensive. Definitely NOT the way to go for a rental. However, this site has some more temporary (and less expensive) alternatives:
http://www.poolsafetyfences.com/

You'd have to check with your landlord for the fence installation even though it's removable, b/c you'd still need to drill into the concrete/decking around the pool. I think your best bet is not have the kids outside unattended, and keep all the doors locked while you're inside so they can't leave the house without you knowing. That will take care of the majority of the risk, and it's free. That being said, I wouldn't purposely choose a house without a fenced-in pool. It's not worth the small amount of risk left that something could happen. I don't know how old your kids are, so that could be a factor too.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:59 PM

fyi, the pool filter will add $100/ month or more to your electric bill when the pool is open. Check the current utility bills for that house if you need proof. Plus, extra water usage to fill the pool = $$$

You can get a permanent (removable) pool cover and leave it in place. that will "only" cost a few thousand. Call your local pool center with dimensions for a quick quote.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
fyi, the pool filter will add $100/ month or more to your electric bill when the pool is open. Check the current utility bills for that house if you need proof. Plus, extra water usage to fill the pool = $$$

You can get a permanent (removable) pool cover and leave it in place. that will "only" cost a few thousand. Call your local pool center with dimensions for a quick quote.
Yes to both of those. Although the cover will ONLY help with retaining water from less evap and keeping 'stuff' out of the pool. It is not a safety measure really by any means. They're required here due to drought, and they are basically a large thick plastic (almost bubble wrap looking) stuff that lays on the water when in use. It wouldn't take much for something/someone to cause it to start going under.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 AM

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they're under 5 I'd pass on the rental. We fenced our pool w/ a fabric-y netted fence for around $3k in addition to a wrought iron fence already in place. I fought the 3K at the time (since we already had the ability to fence off the area) but I'm SO GLAD we did--pools are magnets to kids. I would never be around an unfenced pool unless my kids were 12+ and proven good swimmers, and I'm a helicopter parent who thinks she's always around and on top of things.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
will the landlord even let you make 'renovations' to the property? A proper legal fence can run in the thousands. Plus the utilites on the pool. Insurance on the rental will increase with a pool too.
Really I would pass on a house that isnt safe.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 AM

In my area a secure six foot fence is required by law around a pool. If this is also the case in your area, then it is the landlord's responsibility to fence it, not the tenant's.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 08-25-2010, 03:12 AM

pool fencing is expensive...think hundreds to thousands of dollars to be done safely and well after all if your installing a fence that is what you want.

I'd really consider whether this rental is worth it in the long run. One thing is will the landlord even allow fencing. it may need to involve drilling or digging into or by the foundation of the pool which if done incorrectly can ruin a pool. This is something i would NEVER let a tenant do.

Plus you will have the added cost of maintainence (water, chemicals,electric) if the landlord dosent maintain or heck if they dont maintain it to your standards where its usuable. Plus if you have any type of renters insurance it will go up due to the liability issue.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
In my area a secure six foot fence is required by law around a pool. If this is also the case in your area, then it is the landlord's responsibility to fence it, not the tenant's.
This. This sounds like an illegal property to be renting, let alone the home owner. Our insurance also requires our inground pool to be fenced. Not only must the pool be fenced, but it must be locked, and not accessible from the house.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. The home is my in-laws. They will be moving out of state in 6 months or so and have "offered" it to us a very low rate. DP thinks we can save some $ by taking them up on it. I hate the idea of a pool and kids, period. Regardless of fencing, which DP casually says, "oh we'll just fence it." I don't think he realizes the cost and I don't think BIL would pay for it, at least if he did BIL would do the bare minimum.

I really don't want to move there. And I need to make sure DP knows that really, we won't be saving any $$ plus the fact that I'll HATE living there.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:59 AM

I, personally wouldn't do it.
I won't even let my yougest dd visit her grandparents unless I'm there because they refuse to put a fence up. Too risky.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM

I, too, would not live in a house without a pool fence - and I would still be nervous. I don't know how old your kids are or how many you have but everyone would have to be compliant with leaving the back doors locked and always closing that pool fence. I am an ER nurse and have seen too many tragedies involving pools - so if you have to live in a house with one you really really need to make it as save as possible. There are also pool alarms that you can place in the water that will alarm if something large enters the pool and a second safety measure.

User Tag List