What inspires you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love having inspiration in the form of books, magazines, blogs, etc. to help keep me motivated to remain frugal, keep a clean and organized home, to create, to live simply, to be crunchy, to cook, to just make my home as "homey" as possible.

So I ask, what inspires you?

Please share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 PM

i love better homes & gardens and country living for magazines ( i wish i could list something more savvy, lol...but that's what i enjoy). for blogs, i absolutely love http://gnowfglins.com (and several other traditional cooking blogs, but that's my current favorite one). her e-course is awesome!

ETA - i love this blog too! http://zoevblog.com/

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 08-29-2010, 12:34 AM

I get my inspiration from --

Magazines -- Mothering, Mother Earth News, Hobby Farm Home, and sometimes Mary Jane's Farm.

Blogs -- www.farmama.typepad.com, www.waldorfmama.com, www.seventimestheday.blogspot.com, and www.heirloomseasons.blogspot.com

Books -- The Encyclopedia of Country Living, by Carla Emery, The Simple Living Guide, by Janet Luhrs, Blue Ribbon Preserves, by Linda Amendt, and Feeding the Whole Family, by Cynthia Lair (yes, I find some cookbooks inspiring!)

Family and friends with whom I share my dreams of living simply...
Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 PM

My favorite site right now is this one:

http://www.aholyexperience.com/2010/...omeschool.html

It's directed at homeschoolers, but anybody could set up a room like that. Very cool stuff.

As for magazines, I'm a true-blue Countryside fan... I look at all those self-sufficient mags (and subscribe to more than one), and nobody ever holds a candle to good ol' Countryside:

http://www.countrysidemag.com/

Cookbooks: Anything in the River Cottage series, especially this one:

http://www.amazon.com/River-Cottage-...3096557&sr=8-6

And I have to second the suggestion of The Encyclopedia of Country Living... that book is a gem.

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM

as for cookbooks, i love nourishing traditions by sally fallon.

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tra.../dp/0967089735

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM

SouleMama's blog inspires me the most, to live simply, cook more and spend more time appreciating the little things: http://soulemama.typepad.com/soulemama/

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM
p.s

books:
I love looking at book peeks OL at Amazon. I have bought many of Taschen home decor books. Good prices, nice feel to the pics, lots of ideas. I also like the now old books by Pierre Deux. For simple life, flip through rural Italy and France books.

magazines: I susbscribe to Elle Decor and Town & Country, the latter I do not like since the editor changed. Everything is outside of my budget, but I can get great ideas from the mags. I find many of the American decorating magazines too "cluttery" for my taste. I do like Veranda, and am planning on subscribing after seeing the latest issue. Also, i lvoe Elle Decor, and the editor Margaret Russell has moved onto Architectural Digest, so plan on subscribing to that. I have the old House & Gardens from the 10 years prior to their folding (loved that magazine). And i also have years of The World of Interiors magazine. I loved it when Min Hogg was the editor, and don't really buy it much now.

blogs:
I almost daily visit soulemama and habitually chic. i also like rosylittlethings, simplyseleta, absolutelybeautifulthings, myfrenchcountryhome, and there is one other site that has WONDERFUL pics of rural Italian homes. I'll have to look that one up.
I also like looking at designer website. I'll post another post with those listed, though my favorite is Atelier A + M, whose website used to be great, but now is blank since they removed everything. But you can google them to see their amazing interiors.
Apartmenttherapy, remodelista, design sponge are also very good.
I almost daily also check out the rel estate section of the wall street journal, wsj, just b/c i am interested in RE, but also b/c they have good house tours.
You can also get great interiors tours from websites like Sotheby's, especially the overseas and vacation spot homes.

keep me motivated to remain frugal:
nothing better than periordically looking at your bank/investment statements.

keep a clean and organized home:
MDC!

to create:
Ottobre, various pattern websites, and the store I get most of my fabrics: emmaonesock!

to live simply:
well, there is a new one to me that outranks all others: the placewithnoname (thanks Tradd!).... to keep one remembering what is important. Prepare like this, and other things kind of fall into perspective.
I also love slowlovelife by the former editor of H&G Dominique Browning.

to cook: i use books (Julia Child French 3 volume series, Richard Olney's the French Menu Cookbook- I have an original edition from a library giveaway!, Cook's illustrated, and Barefoot Contessa in Paris). I also have almost all of Rose Levy Beranbaum's books. I have a few more books that I never use, and ought to get rid of. O/w I use epicurious. But honestly, I've been cooking and baking so long, since I was 4, that I can cook most of my standard fare without a recipie. It took alot of happy memories to reach this point.

to just make my home as "homey" as possible: I try to remember to be happy, patient, and not yell. b/c honestly, that's all that's important to my DH and two boys.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

These are some excellent ideas! Thank you all so very much!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 PM

I find a lot of my inspiration in art and nature. Taking a nature walk or hike is amazing for simplicity and color combos and dimension and so many things! I literally walked around our neighborhood looking at trees to decide our master bedroom color & design scheme. I don't know the name of the tree that I used as the inspiration, but I it!!!

I fell in love with two specific pieces of art and found a third. These three pieces have dictated the entire theme and color and design for our main level. I even looked up the scene they are depicting and researched that area of Italy and the homes for sale and the interior design, etc. and worked in what I could. I'm still hunting for another few art pieces in this style and scenery. I've built on the original two pieces over half a dozen years and they have remained my "inspiration" through it all. This covers a lot more than decorating, too.

I walk a lot and take many pictures and use those as inspiration, as well. Gardening, shape, groupings, design, color, cooking (plate prep+food combos), simplicity (low clutter+lifestyle), and so much more all comes from my love of being out in nature...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

User Tag List