where do you shop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a while since I've shopped for clothes for myself. While I would love to support the independent businesses who sell beautiful, natural, organic clothing, it is so not in my budget (I totally get why independent businesses cost what they do). Making my own clothes is so not in my time budget, lol. So, I am looking for ideas for some budget-friendly, but also socially conscious clothing stores. Do they exist?? I noticed that MDC had an ad for JC Penney, but from what I hear, their reputation is not too great (I was a little surprised to see it here on MDC actually). I've heard H & M is ok but I really don't have any facts behind that.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks!
#2 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 AM

Thrift stores. Its basically recycled clothing, so is very environmentally friendly. I don't know about their labor or manufacturing practices, but H&M does sell some organic cotton stuff for pretty cheap. Americal Apprel is also a good choice as they have fair, non-import labor and also have organic options. There are outlets for AA.
#3 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

american apparel is fair trade and fairly affordable. not much is organic, but the clothing lasts me a good long while for the price.
#4 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 08:17 AM

Thirft all the way. I know end of season bargins are good at Kohls,Macy,JCpen but I don't shop there.Shoot I hesitate buying a new shirt(price tag still on!) at the thirft if it is $3,lol.Our thirft has 50 cent mondays,and boy do people load their carts on that day! Unfortunately some stores are starting to get greedy and raising the prices on donated used clothing.
#5 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM

I am trying to shop for quality, so I buy the majority of stuff at Banana Republic. The items I've bought there have lasted me the longest, and the fit is also good for me.
I do watch for sales and coupons, and work to combine those whenever possible.
#6 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Thrift stores and consignment stores (more so the latter) have a lot of nice pieces, though they'll likely be manufactured in a sweatshop (Gap, Banana Republic, Chico's, etc). As for socially conscious, obviously sweatshops are not, but thrift stores do donate their profits, so I guess it works out.

I second American Apparel but their clothing is not really professional, just super casual, if that's what you're looking for.

Also Ebay is pretty good if you know your sizes and are willing to go through the ordeal of bidding.

poetry-writing feminist, loving my h and my ju-ju-be
"That rug really tied the room together."
#7 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
american apparel is fair trade and fairly affordable. not much is organic, but the clothing lasts me a good long while for the price.
This may or may not be relevant, but I have major problems with AA's hiring policies. They are very biased on who they hire and promote based only on looks

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#8 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 AM

Thrifty and consignment here! Love it. I am one who seems to always get the new clothes I wear stained I swear before I even wear them. So... paying less and finding treasures is much better for me!

'09   
#9 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Goodwill or other thrift stores pretty much exclusively. I'll go to consignment stores for the girls, but I don't seem to really wander into them very often for me.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#10 of 17 Old 10-11-2010, 12:08 AM

I buy all my clothing from thrift stores too. I was in the mall today and saw a men's T shirt in Dillard's for $72!! I had to double check it. I love shopping at thrift stores. It's great to create a list though, so you know what you need.

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#11 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 PM

We have a few really good consigment stores where I live.

Also, we live very close to a Hanna Andersson outlet, and I shop when they have super markdowns. I find the quality there very good and they sell organic clothing, too. I don't know much about their business practices, so if anyone does, I'd love to hear it!
#12 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 PM

check out Fair Indigo. It has lots of fairly traded and organic clothing items. They are expensive, but they have sales and clearance.
#13 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 PM

I try thrift and consignment but my boys are NOT the right ages or something because I get almost zero time to actually find anything there --- they're both wild stallions.

So I do most of my shopping online while my boys run wild outside which means a lot of Old Navy for us. We have their card (pay it off immediately) and get tons of rewards certificates and such. I'm sure they aren't enviro friendly and would love to support that more too but it's not in our budget or time constraints at the moment.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#14 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Thrift/consignment for everyone in my family. There are times when I'll buy something at Target, Old Navy or The Gap but only if it's on sale or on clearance.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#15 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 06:21 PM

another thrifter here! most of my loveliest and favorite pieces have come from the thrift or the recycled clothing store. when i am looking for something a bit special, i looove soul flower.

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#16 of 17 Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM

I like to shop thrift stores but I find I need a lot of time when I go there, as it takes a while to weed through everything. I have found some great stuff at our Goodwill though! Ours even has a special on Tuesdays where everything is an additional 25% off!

I do sometimes buy new Hanna stuff for DD, but only on sale.

Rachel, mom to Eliana (age 3)
#17 of 17 Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
While I love thrifting, a lot of the ones near me haven't had anything of quality lately. Also, it seems like it's harder to find clothes secondhand for plus sized women sometimes. I love Coldwater Creek for their quality-their prices are high but they have great sales and outlet, and I just buy basics and stop there. I've had a few old navy items and have found their quality to be decent as well. I'll have to check out the independant places mentioned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page