Laundry Soap - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I like using a natural laundry soap...BUT, I hate the stains. Have tried lots - tried different combinations, still searching for something I won't have to re-wash so much with.

I have a front loading washer - the kind that recommends HE detergent.

I live in the country. Lots of dirt - clay - on clothes. Also, three year old still has lots of food stains.

I think our water is on the hard side, but not overly so. There is iron in it - well water.

Can't wait for your suggestions!!! :-)
#2 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I use ALL free and clear for HE. It works well for me. I have a 9 yr old DS who is really into 'art' and is homeschooled so I have my fair share of markers, paint,glue etc. We also have a dog so there is mud. We live in AZ so dirt, not grass. DS has asthma so the free and clear is the only detergent that does not bother him. I have the best luck finding this detergent at Target or Frys (Kroger)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 PM

We live in town but have hard water. I use Charlies soap and love it. I have 3 kids and a dh who works in a shop and comes home covered in grease. It did take a little while till I loved it because it had to get all the build out from the other detergent. Once that was out I loved it and I noticed a huge difference in stain removal and how soft my clothes were. Also my towels never smell musty anymore. (When they would smell musty in the past I would run them through hot washes with no soap and that helped, so it was from build up)

I have been using it for almost 2 yrs and will never go back. They also have wonderful customer service!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Have you tried adding "Washing Soda" (not baking soda) with the detergent? It helps with the hard water.
#5 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have found many of the natural laundry detergents just don't get really dirty things clean - which is disappointing.

I recently switched to Sunlight Green. It seems to work pretty well so far. I don't entirely trust it is as green as they claim but I figure it's got to be better than wasting so much water rewashing things that didn't come clean the first time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 6 Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion about the musty smell in towels - maybe that's why. I thought it's because of the water here, the whole sewage system is a lot different from Europe. I'll give it a try even though I tend to put in a little less detergent than recommended.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page