How often do you replace your bath mats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have two in our master bath and one in the boys bathroom - both about a year old. I wash them once a week or once every two weeks, whenever I do towels. I was wondering if there is any bacteria cause for concern to replace them yearly? It's not a huge expense, so I don't mind. Just curious as to what other people do.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 AM

I'm not sure what is the average length of time to have a bathmat, but ours has been around 3 years. It is 100% cotton and I wash it in hot water with vinegar and dry on high heat. It still looks nearly new and comes out smelling fresh, so I'm not about to toss it even though it wouldn't be too expensive to replace.
#3 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 03:41 AM

I have a cotton rug from target in our bathroom, I wash it when it's dirty, It's a year old, and I wouldn't consider tossing it and replacing it until it's tattered and gross. I would consider relocating it to a less... important position (like right by the outside door or something) in a few years if it gets terribly messed up but not bad enough to throw away.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 AM

We have had a couple of our bathmat sets for about 7 years now. We wash them frequently and they have held up well.
#5 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 AM

last night I threw one away that got puked on by the kid, but other than that I usually wash and keep for 2-3 years.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#6 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Puke would be a reason for me to throw one away...I can handle spiders, snakes, poop, etc., but puke...just no. Can't deal with it.

Otherwise, I put tea tree oil in the wash with things like this that are particularly exposed to icky things.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#7 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 AM

We're moving soon, nad I'm thinking of splurging on new ones. But just as a splurge, not as a "have to". They are at least 5 years old (when we moved here). Probably older, but I can't remember.
#8 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 AM

I just replaced mine, it was at least 10 years old and orginally came from IKEA.
I didn't wash it every week, maybe more like once a month or as needed.
#9 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I just replace them when they absolutely are no longer for this world, i.e. ratty and worn. I wash them weekly and dry them on the clothesline. I'm a firm believer in outdoor drying when the weather permits it--very sanitizing!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#10 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
I just replaced mine, it was at least 10 years old and orginally came from IKEA.
This is us. Our IKEA ones are only 2 yrs old, and washed approximately once a month. I have older ones that still get put into occasional use, and they get tossed when they start to fall apart in the dryer.

(although I come from a family that would use it in the garage to collect grease under a tractor or something like that before it got tossed.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

(although I come from a family that would use it in the garage to collect grease under a tractor or something like that before it got tossed.)
LOL, this is us too. In fact the 10 year old IKEA one is currently in the garage. We live on a dirt road and come winter time, dig out 3 -4 cars on average a year of those that don't make it up our road. So mats like this get used to help with traction in the winter time, as well as general dirty duties, etc.
#12 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
ummm ours are washed more like every... 6 months? The washer at both our previous place and our current place could in no way handle them (they aren't the towel bath mats they are the rug type) so we have to take them elsewhere. (mom's or a laundromat)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page