What kind of dishwasher do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it working well for you? What do you like/not like about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM

We had a Miele in our old house. We loved it.

I loved that it had a third rack for cutlery. It took a little longer to lay the cutlery in one piece at a time, but it got cleaner, dried better and was faster to put away. It also meant that babies and toddlers were not able to reach knives that were in the dishwasher when it was open.

I loved that it didn't have an element. Stuff couldn't fall down and melt.

I loved that the top rack had two height settings so you could make more room for big stuff on the bottom rack, or you could have more room on top to stack stuff double high on the sides (on the little flip down shelves).

I loved that it was super quiet. I would often have to look at the lights to see if it was on.

I also liked the top solo option. It used less water and power and would just wash the top two racks. We didn't use it much though, and I could have lived without this feature. It was mostly useful when it was just DH and me.

Mieles are very efficient too... but they are EXPENSIVE. I think they start at $1200.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#3 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, those are very awesome...
#4 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 PM

We have a Kitchenaide. Think we paid around $800 for it about 6 yrs ago. The top rack rusted and they sent us a new rack. The door when you opened it broke and would just flop open. We had to hire an appliance repair person to come in. Also, lately I find it does not clean well. Very diappointed. Read online similar complaints. We also have stove same brand-just ordered a part for the front that was all rusted out. Cost me $40.
The cheap dishwasher I had before we renovated worked better. Just to tell you that the quality of Kitchenaide is not great. Thats my experience. Good luck.
#5 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

That is very good to know, thank you. They sure look impressive.

It seems like there are so many brands that are promoted and approved of simply because of the brand name, you know? I am thankful to be learning about which features matter most to me and to have those intentions guiding my search.
#6 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 02:55 PM

We have a Frigedaire.

I like it because it cost $50 at the local resale store. The store is like Habitat for Humanity, but supports a local housing initiative.

It is nothing fancy, but is way better than washing by hand, which I did for months before we finally replaced my old one. We don't have a lot of disposable income at the moment, so I was thrilled to get a new to me dishwasher for $50 and a couple of hours of labour for DH.

I was worried about buying used, but we had 30 days to return it if it wasn't working. And for $50 I figure even if it only lasts a year, we will still be way ahead than if we bought a new one. Plus, as all the items in the resale store are donated, our $50 went to help people in our community. Score!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#7 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 AM

we have a miele too - sounds like the same model mentioned by Chet since we have those features. I don't use the top solo as much as i thought I would but we do use the delayed start all the time.
Love it - it is 7 years old now and we have never had a problem with it, still going strong. They are supposed to last at least 20 years so we'll see.
#8 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM

We have a Bosch. It is supposed to be super quiet. It is fine, but I expected it to be quieter. We can run it while we're in the kitchen/dining area, though, which is much more quiet than any other dishwasher I've ever owned.

It has a stainless steel interior, which I really like. Plastic takes on colors (tomato) and odors. I've not had to wash the inside in the 2 years we've had it.

It does not have a "rinse & hold" cycle, which I miss. I suppose that it lacks this feature for water-energy-saving purposes, but I liked being able to rinse the dishes after breakfast or dinner if I wasn't running a full load at the time.

The silverware basket and racks on the top have sharp edges. Yes, small detail, but I'm constantly poking my fingers with the plastic, and it's almost sharp enough to cut.

I've never liked how hard the door is to pull open, and DH just pulled it off the other day. He fixed it, but I'm sure it will break again in the next 6 mos.

It does get dishes more reliably cleaner than the cheap (<$350) dishwashers I've had in the past, but there were some features they had that I wish the Bosch had. (And, we now use Electrolux/Finish tabs that we buy at Sam's Club. Totally not natural, but they WORK, and I rarely have to send a dish or glass through a second time.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#9 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 AM

We have a very basic Fridgedaire that came with our house. We have been here 4 yrs and it was not brand new when we moved in. You can get this same dishwasher at Best Buy for $199.

I have to use either the finish tabs or my homemade soap and every dish usually comes out clean. I don't rinse and so every yr or so DH has to clean out the bottom of it but it is a great dishwasher. If it were to break I would buy the same thing in a heart beat.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I realize that a lot of people poo-pooed the LG, but we like ours. Admittedly, we did have some leaking issues at first, but they were good on honoring their warranty, and it's worked for us since then.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#11 of 29 Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 AM

We also have a Bosch (stainless steel inside and out) - but it stopped working mid-cycle about a year and a half ago, so I was hand washing dishes until recently when we bought a cheap dishwasher on CL. We did pull the kick plate off of the Bosch and it turns out the wires in the wiring harness (?) melted together. As we found out about the time it stopped working - there are a ton of Bosch models that have been recalled for service because of fire hazard issues. When I called to see if ours had made it onto the list, the operator told me that she was happy to inform me that ours wasn't in the recall (and therefore not at risk for catching on fire?).

Now, when it did work, I LOOOOOOOOVED it. We're moving next week and will probably take it in for service shortly thereafter because again I did love it - I'd just never leave it running when I'm not home or right there again - just in case.

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)
#12 of 29 Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
We have a Bosch. It is supposed to be super quiet. It is fine, but I expected it to be quieter. We can run it while we're in the kitchen/dining area, though, which is much more quiet than any other dishwasher I've ever owned.
If you can hear it running you should have them come out to service it. It might be off balance.

We used to have a very new, basic Bosch and I loved how quiet it was but it had issues with draining. It liked to not drain all the way then you'd have to manually push the button to reset and drain. I loved that the controls were on the top of the door so not accessible to little hands when closed.

Now we have an older Miele (came with the house) and it is the best dishwasher I've ever had. It cleans everything and the third drawer on top for silverware is pure genius. Could never buy another dishwasher without that feature. I do not like that the controls are very easy for little hands to mess with. But that is my only complaint.
#13 of 29 Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM

I am sad to hear all the issues with the Bosch. We have one and it has been perfect since we got it. We have had ours for three years. This is the one I have, http://www.lowes.com/pd_314474-39047...R%20SHE43P16UC.

I have two friends with KitchenAids and they like them very much. I would personally avoid Whirlpool like the plague. We have had two. The first one was over 20 years old and it is understandable why it ceased to function properly. It actually did a nice job until it keeled over. The second replaced the first. It stopped automatically dispensing soap exactly 1 year and 2 days after we got it. I switched to soap tablets and tossed them in for another 2 or so years and then it broke down. The repair was more than original cost of the dishwasher. That was when we got the Bosch.
#14 of 29 Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies. This is all very good information.

Both Miele and Bosch seem to get excellent reviews all over the internet but I talked to Miele and they actually use vinyl-coated racks (interestingly, it is the one part of their dishwashers that they outsource for). Vinyl is an absolute deal breaker for me so I think I'm going to look at the Bosch models and decide which has the features I'm looking for. All Bosch models come with nylon-coated racks which is MUCH better.
#15 of 29 Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Another couple of points that have been concerning to me --

Do you have to do a lot of rinsing of your dishes before washing them in the dishwasher in order for the dishwasher to do its job effectively?

Do you feel like your dishwasher is truly labor-saving?
#16 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 PM
p.s

in the home that we own we have a Bosch. Current home we rent has a piece of Junk not worth mentioning.
The Bosch was a more expensive model, not absolute top; but don't know the number off the top of my head. We checked ratings OL and got the one with highest ratings. Going on 5 y with no problem. You can immaculately wash a full load of food caked on dishes. And the first time I ran it was so quiet, I couldn't figure out why it wasn't running. Our model does have a rinse and hold.
#17 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM

We have a new Kitchenaid(installed last spring), and I've been very happy with it so far. It has the stainless interior, is super quiet and holds a lot.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#18 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post
Another couple of points that have been concerning to me --

Do you have to do a lot of rinsing of your dishes before washing them in the dishwasher in order for the dishwasher to do its job effectively?

Do you feel like your dishwasher is truly labor-saving?
We do not need to rinse our dishes. Our dishwasher would wash pretty much anything off, with the exception of stuff that requires five minutes of scrubbing with an SOS pad.

I've heard that needing to rinse is the mark of a poor quality dishwasher. I've read that you can expect any decent dishwasher to cost a minimum of $700, but I have no idea if this is true.

I do feel that a dishwasher is absolutely a labour saving device.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#19 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.s View Post
Our model does have a rinse and hold.

What is rinse and hold?
#20 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
We do not need to rinse our dishes. Our dishwasher would wash pretty much anything off, with the exception of stuff that requires five minutes of scrubbing with an SOS pad.

I've heard that needing to rinse is the mark of a poor quality dishwasher. I've read that you can expect any decent dishwasher to cost a minimum of $700, but I have no idea if this is true.

Is this your experience with the Miele that you're referring to?
#21 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Unless it's my dishwasher.... I have to wash everything by hand and then run it through the dishwasher (DD has severe food allergies, so I don't trust my hand washing to get all traces of grease and stuff off the dishes.)

Hopefully in the next couple years we'll be able to replace ours, so I'm keeping watch on this thread!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#22 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Another question -- does your dishwasher hook up to the hot or the cold water in your kitchen?

I learned today that the newer dishwashers hook up to the hot water instead of the cold and that they use hot water exclusively. Is this your experience with your dishwasher?
#23 of 29 Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM

I have a Maytag quiet series 3 model a couple of years ago. I do not like it at all. It was part of a massive recall this summer. The biggest problem is that it just doesn't get stuff clean. It's super quiet and energy start rated, but it's junk. We have really soft water. I can imagine what it would be like with hard water.
#24 of 29 Old 09-30-2010, 07:00 PM

Now we have an older Miele (came with the house) and it is the best dishwasher I've ever had. It cleans everything and the third drawer on top for silverware is pure genius. Could never buy another dishwasher without that feature. I do not like that the controls are very easy for little hands to mess with. But that is my only complaint.[/QUOTE]

yeah theat.....We have a Miele that is one year old and it is the best!
#25 of 29 Old 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

The Miele dishwashers do look absolutely amazing. It is unfortunate that they outsource for their racks and use vinyl coating because that is definitely a deal breaker for me. I hope they catch on and switch to nylon coating sometime in the near future.

I'd love to hear from you all about my question regarding hooking up the dishwashers exclusively to the hot water source and not the cold. Is that how your dishwasher's set up?
#26 of 29 Old 10-04-2010, 04:04 PM

We have a Whirlpool quiet wash plus. Have had it now for 13years and I LOVE it. I dont have to rinse anything off before putting it in there. I dont have to worry about dishes not getting clean. It gets every dish including the utensils totally clean 98% of the time.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#27 of 29 Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm sure it was just a lemon, but we had a Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner IV, a $900 dishwasher when we bought it, and it broke 5 times under warranty before they finally agreed to replace it. Since it was not in stock when this happened, we ended up getting a $1300 Kitchen Aid to replace it. The difference is astounding. They both had stainless interiors with grinders and they both got our dishes clean, but the Kitchen Aid is so much quiter and takes much less time to run a regular cycle. So far, so good. It saves us a ton of time. I didn't rinse dishes with either, though at this point couldn't in good faith recommend the Whirlpool based on our poor experience with reliability.

4 kids under 10
#28 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM

We have a Fisher-Paykel drawer style dishwasher. We didn't choose it, it came with the house. I like it because it saves space (we have a small kitchen), but I don't think it does all that great a job. That might be because it's getting older now.

Rachel, mom to Eliana (age 3)
#29 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 PM

We have a Fisher-Paykel with two drawers and I love it. We bought it a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page